Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Breaking the Rules

Started by GoblinFae, January 03, 2012, 06:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

Primrose dismissed class and began to walk the youngest children back to their homes. The sun had begun to set, creating long dark shadows. The children laughed and skipped ahead wishing her a goodnight as they each reached home.

The youngest Bryant walked sullenly beside her. "Did you have fun today Bryant?" she asked hugging him close. Bryant just shrugged his little shoulders, refusing to look at her. "Bryant sweetie, what's wrong?" she asked worriedly, kneeling down to his level.

"Stay away from my son, whore! Come 'ere boy. I'll teachya to filch your chores!"

Primrose froze at the accusation, pulling the little boy closer to her. "Davis you are drunk!" she cried slowly backing away from the furious father as he advanced on them, removing his belt. "Leave him alone Davis! Today was a class say, if you weren't so drunk you would remember this."

"Quiet you! Boy in the house, now!" Bryant took one look at his father and bolted from Primrose's arms and into the house. "You stay 'way from me boy ya 'ere! Don' need ya putting thoughts 'side his 'ead. He hardly does his keep 'round 'ere as it were."

"Davis, I know you are upset but, Amleah would have wanted Bryant to continue his studies. If this is about the mon-"

"I said be silent!" he roared striking her across the face so hard she fell down. "How dare you talk 'bout her like that. You's was the one who got her kilt."

"Stop this Davis. You are drunk. Don't make me call for my guards. All I have to do is scream and they will hear me. I don't want to have to Davis, please don't force me too. Think of Bryant."

The mention of his son sent Davis into a fury. Roaring he lashed out again at Primrose, this time kicking her in the side. She cried out in pain. "Where are your guards now, filth!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

He didn't like being out and about at night time. He would have much rather have been tucked up in a room, but it was apparent that all the rooms were taken, and he was going to have to make do with setting up a camp out on the road. Scuffing his feet a bit, Harkness grumbled to himself about not being prepared, when voices cut through the air.

He paused his walking, and looked around for the source, and quickly his eyes lighted on a tiny woman having an altercation with a man, who by the sounds of his raised voice, was both very angry, and very drunk. A frown tightened his brow and he inched closer, only to see the woman fall to the ground, making some claims about guards. The man kicked her, and Harkness felt a tight knot of fury rise in his stomach. He hated seeing women in trouble.

Without really thinking, he picked up speed, and jogged to the pair. "Hey!" He shouted, staring furiously at the man. "What do you think you're doing!" He reached out, and hauled him away, thanking his height advantage in this situation. "Don't you touch her." His voice was fairly snarling as he shoved the man back, standing between the woman and her attacker.

The man looked somewhat surprised at the sudden turn of events, but being fuelled by drink, lunged for Harkness with clenched fists. Harkness only rolled his eyes, and pulled his arm back. The fist that connected with the drunk's jaw was as solid as stone, followed by another quick jab to his gut. The man doubled over, wheezing for breath. Harkness put his hands on his hips, and stared down at him. "Don't hit a lady. Especially when she has someone watching her. All the time."

With this, he turned his head to see two young eyes peering at him from the door. In a brusque manner, the elf picked the man up by the collar, and deposited him on the doorstep. "No, go inside and get sober," he grunted, leaving the man to scramble in the door and slam it closed with a resounding thud. Harkness immediately turned and crouched down beside the fallen woman.

A hand reached out to her shoulder, eyes veiled in concern. "Miss? Are you alright?"

GoblinFae

Primrose was extremely surprised when her bluff turned out to not be a bluff. The tall man defended her, frightening even the burly, Davis. She watched silently the events unfolding. Cowed, Davis ran inside leaving the vigilante figure free to turn his attention to her.

Rubbing her jaw, she nodded her head. "I've had worse, I think I was just more surprised than anything else." Standing up she began to brush herself off. "Thank you kind sir. I seemed to have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. You were of great assistance. Is there some way I can pay you for your efforts? I'm sure saving foolish young women was not on your agenda for this evening," she teased playfully.

"I'm Primrose, by the way," she added warmly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Haze

Harkness moved back as she stood. She really was quite tiny, and he was surprised that the drunk hadn't done more damage. His expression was blank as he looked down at her, eyes guarded. His arms crossed against his chest, his thoughts unreadable. What on earth is a little thing like this doing, out here, alone. She doesn't look to be the kind who hangs out on the streets. Her face is too sweet.

"Harkness," he said by way of introduction, still eyeing her curiously. "And no trouble at all. I do it for a living. saving people. Do you get into trouble, often, Primrose?"

GoblinFae

'Goddess help me, he's tall,' she thought marveling at the fact that this Harkness stood a good foot and a half taller than her. "Trouble? Me? Hardly. I'm teacher. Nothing very violent ever comes out of teaching. I think the greatest danger I ever face on a daily basis is the forest," she laughed pointing back to where she had come from. "But that isn't really horrible unless you go there at night."

'I'm rambling again. Why do I always ramble? Be nice Prim! Don't freak him out.'

Looking up at him hesitantly she began to twist her skirts in her hands. "I don't think I have seen you before, are you new around here? I ask because if you don't have a place to stay I have a guest room you can spend the night in, for saving me. You don't have to stay if you don't want to, uh not that I am just making a false offer because I'm not. You are more than welcome in my home. Especially since you saved me. Not that you wouldn't be welcome if you hadn't saved me."

Primrose groaned aloud pinching the bridge of her nose and squeezing her eyes shut. "I think I'll just be quiet now," she muttered. 'You always do that! People are going to start to think you aren't the daughter of a noble after all. Don't start rambling if he says yes. Don't start rambling if he says no. In fact, don't say anything.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

A teacher, huh? With kids? Cute. I remember my teacher. I thought I was in love with her until I was One Hundred and Twenty.

Harkness stood silent through her rambling, just simply arching an eyebrow down at her. What a strange little creature. Listen to her, getting her words all tripped over themselves. At her self-deprecating gesture, he snorted. "Don't worry, Miss Primrose, your talking doesn't bother me. What does bother me though, is the fact that that there drunk is peering at you through the window." Always aware and alert, he'd picked up on the fact as she'd introduced herself.

"Don't be alarmed, but I'm going to take you by the elbow now. You need to act as if I am your guard, and let me lead you." This was said seriously, his expression once again going stony and unreadable, and he took the tiny woman as he had said and started walking with her, his free hand sitting comfortably on his sword hilt.

"Now," he said, neither his voice or expression changing, "I would greatly appreciate a place to stay the night. Thank you. Tell me, why is the forest dangerous? If you're a teacher, shouldn't you be in a schoolhouse somewhere?"

GoblinFae

She rolled her eyes at his comment about Davis. "Really Mr. Harkness, Davis is harmless. He's just going through a difficult time right now," she said as he led her by her elbow. As soon as they were out of his sight line she yanked her elbow out of the elf's hand.

"Listen, I don't mind housing you but you can't just go around manhandling me like that. Despite my stature and appearance I am quite capable of taking care of myself, thank you very much!" Primrose was angry. She hated it when men got it in their heads that she was just a simple little thing. She stormed ahead ignoring him for awhile, trying to blow off some steam.

"The forest is not that dangerous and as a rule I do not make a habit of entering it at night. As for a schoolhouse, well the children I teach come from poor families. I teach them because they cannot afford proper lessons. I do not have a schoolhouse because I have no desire or real need for one as yet. The forest provides plenty opportunities for lessons with its large variety of flora and fauna."

On the edge of town, closer to the forest was Primrose's home. As far as noble houses go, it was on the small side. It still had all the things expected of a noble family, there were the stables, the gardens, the grand dining room, the observatory, and the multiple guestrooms. Opening the metalwrought gates, she turned to her companion. "Welcome to Dragoslav Manor," she said smiling to him warmly. What little anger she had felt towards him was now dispersed and in the past.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness' eyebrows rose as she waffled on at him about being able to look after herself. "Hey, I never said-" he started, but she was still going on and defending herself. He just looked down at her, highly amused by her tirade. For such a small woman, she sure does have a lot of words. he thought.

He followed behind, watching the little firecracker. She was mad, and he could almost see sparks flying. He didn't have the faintest idea why though. For all she'd said she was tough, she'd been lying on the ground and kicked, and if it wasn't for good timing, he was guessing probably worse. With the way she talked about the children, he figured she wouldn't be the kind to hit a parent back.

And then she was smiling at him, and welcoming him to her home. Harkness scratched the back of his head, bemused. "Well, thanks." He said slowly, not quite sure whether staying with her this one night was going to be a blessing, or a curse. "This is an awfully nice home for a teacher. Why don't you do lessons here?"

GoblinFae

"Thank you," she replied to his comment leading him inside. "I do not give lessons here because it is seen as improper."

"My Lady, I was getting worried. Is everything alright? Ah, forgive me. I did not realize you had company," an elderly man said bowing deeply.
"Jain," she replied warmly. "Shouldn't you be on your way home?"
"I had to make sure little miss made it home. Good thing too, should I prepare the study for you and your guest?"
"No Jain. Mr. Harkness will be staying the night in one of the guest rooms." Placing a hand on the servant's arm she added, "go home Jain, I can take care of it."
"But, Miss Primrose! The impropriety, what would your mother say?" Jain sputtered.
"Mother would roll her eyes and laughed. Now go home!" she laughed giving him a peck on the cheek and sending him out the door.

"My apologies Harkness. Would you care to share a meal with me or would you prefer to retire?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness watched the exchange silently. She lives alone? She has no one here to make sure she's safe? This is not good. Not good at all. Doesn't she know how many nobles are hiring guards at the moment? And for good reason too. I better not say anything to her though, she'll bite my head off again. Yeesh.

His expression never wavered, but at her offer of a meal, he nodded. "Thank you, that's very kind of you to offer." He pursed his lips for a moment, and against better judgement mentioned his thoughts.

"You know, Miss Primrose, I should do a perimeter check. Make sure everything is all secure outside. Is there anyone that stays with you here during the nights?"

GoblinFae

"I thank you, Mr. Harkness. But, that will not be necessary. If the rumors do not keep people away then the enchantments most certainly will. My home is well fortified enough. Besides," she said leading him past the dining hall and to the kitchens, "you are a guest in my home. I do not expect you to work while here."

She opened the kitchen door and squealed as a bucket of cold water fell on her, dousing her in the process. "Janus!" she yelled just as a wry figure came running up and threw flour in her face. "You wretch! Get back here!"

She chased after the boy as he laughed. In the end he climbed on top of the pantry cupboard leaving her unable to reach him. Slowly he began to raise the flour bag over his head as she lectured him on pranking her with a guest in the house.

"Heard ya got your butt whooped by old man Davis. Sure you're still the best swordsmen in the area?" he taunted at her.
"Janus you get down here before I tell your mother what you're doing in her kitchen. Janus!" Looking up she was finally able to see the rising bag of flour. Eyes widening she tried to start backing away but was blocked by the table. "Janus! No Janus. Janus, I'll let you win at swordplay tomorrow!" she begged covering her head with her arms, not wanting to see him dump the bag on her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness grimaced at the dismissal of his proposal. He didn't care if there were enchantments around the place, he would have preferred to have done a check in any case. Maybe I'll sneak out later, just to be sure.

He also didn't like the fact that she wasn't checking things were safe. He tried to move past her to get the door, but she was took quick, and the next moment she was covered in water and flour. Harkness tried to hide a smirk, finding the unfolding events relatively humorous. That is, until the boy held the bag of flour over the girl.

She was backing away, hands over head in true alarmed fashion, and Harkness' instincts set in. That'll hurt her, if he drops it... He crossed the room in 3 short strides, placing himself between the little imp and the girl.

"Cut it out," he said in a low, warning voice, and was about to reach for the kid when Janus upended the bag of flour over him. Harkness stumbled back, coughing, his hands, flailing behind him, searching for Primrose.

He could hear the cackle of gleeful laughter coming from the boy above, and he growled. Then choked on the mouthful of flour, turned, and glared down at Primrose, thoroughly caked in the white stuff.

"You treat all your guests like this?"

GoblinFae

She heard the flump of the flour falling followed by Janus' childish laugh. Opening her eyes, she was surprised to find herself no worse looking. Turning to the side, she caught sight of Harkness and burst out into hysterical giggles. She only stopped at the look on his face.

Sobering she began to apologize profusely. "I really am quite sorry, Mr. Harkness. I do not as a rule have guests. It is my fault that Janus thought I would be alone. He really meant no har-" She was cut short as she was forcefully shoved into Harkness.

Turning around, Primrose was a little incredulous to find Janus wielding of all things, a wooden spoon at her. "Janus, you need to apologize to-" again she was cut off as the boy lunged towards her. Moving quickly she grabbed a second wooden spoon and performed a somewhat sloppy but still effective block.

It continued in this manner; Primrose tried to get a word in edgewise and Janus continued to attack. Finally getting frustrated, Primrose growled and turned it from a defensive to an offensive attack. Whirling, spinning, and twisting she executed perfect maneuvers. Her blade --er spoon-- moved faster and faster until poor Janus could no longer defend himself.

Relieving the boy of his weapon, she knocked his feet out from underneath him and tapped the bowl of the spoon over his heart. "Dead. You always forget your footing Janus!" She pulled the boy onto his feet again and smacked him on the rump with the spoon. "Now apologize to Mr. Harkness and then clean up this mess," she commanded jabbing the spoon into his chest.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness' arms went out automatically to catch her as she stumbled forward, but it was clear his assistance wasn't needed. She was flitting around the kitchen, sword fighting with spoons. He eyed the mock battle warily, but with a small inkling of humour eeking into his eyes.

This woman is weird he thought with an exasperated sigh as he tried wiping the flour from his face, digging his fingers into the corners of his eyes to scoop out the flourly muck there. She does look like she can take care of herself though. Look at that footwork. The boy might be quick, but he's got nothing on- and just as he thought it, she had Janus on the ground. Harkness rose an interested eyebrow, at her commanding voice. She's a teacher alright. Just listen to that voice. Even I couldn't say no to that.

"Sorry, Sir." The boy apologised with a sheepish grin, not really looking all that sorry. Harkness just nodded his head once, eyeing the boy with as much solemnity as he could manage.

"It's fine," He said quietly, staring down his nose at the boy, and then moving his gaze to Primrose. "I think though, that you should stick around for a moment. I'd like to have a go at fighting you, Miss Primrose. I'm impressed with your skill."

GoblinFae

Primrose blushed trying to scoop wet clumpfuls of flour out of her hair. "You wish to duel me, Mr. Harkness? And what will your choice of weapon be, the spoon," she raised the spoon waving it about a little, "or the sword?" she asked looking pointedly at the blade hanging from his belt.

"If you are willing for a change of scenery, my home happens to have a proper dueling chamber, and I a sword. I would be willing to fight in the proper setting. That is of course as long as you are not afraid of losing to girl." She winked playfully at him and threw some flour over to Janus.

"Don't think you are out of trouble yet Janus. Your mother is going to have a fit when she sees her kitchen," she reprimanded. At the mention of the boy's mother, his face paled and eyes widened. "There's a toad in your washbasin," he blurted out. "Please don't tell ma what I did Rosey!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness couldn't get a word in edgewise, and he watched with an amused expression as the tiny lady flitted from one idea to the next, like a little hummingbird. She just didn't seem to be able to sit still. His eyes flickered to the sword at his side as she did, and he shook his head. No, he wasn't going to fight her with the sword. He'd never risk hurting an innocent.

"Wait... A toad?" Harkness' eyebrows shot up into his hair line as he looked between the pair. "What is it with you people? Flour, wood-spoon dueling, and toads in the washbasin? I mean... I'm just as fun as the next guy, but do you seriously live in this...this... state of constant pranking?" He was completely bewildered, and his expression showed it.

"You know what, I don't know if I do want to duel with you, Miss Primrose. I think you'd be the kind of person to engage this one," he nodded at Janus, "in getting under my feet, so that you couldn't lose." He pursed his lips, and then beckoned the boy over.

Janus took a step to him hesitantly, but as Harkness bent down and began to whisper in his ear (next time, put an eel at the bottom of her bed.), the boy grinned, and Harkness knew he'd won a new friend in the boy.

Straightening, and tapped his fingers against his sword hilt. "On second thought, yes. Okay. But we fight with wooden spoons. I'm not about to deal with blood."

GoblinFae

Janus and Primrose shared a look at Harkness' mention of pranks. Primrose opened her mouth to comment when he implied that she would cheat. "How dare sir! You offend me and stain my honor with your accusations," she cried playing along. "Boy give this cretin a sword so that I can reclaim my honor."

Solemnly, Janus handed over the wooden spoon. Primrose took her spoon-sword and began the opening gestures of a duel before assuming the correct stance. Her front leg was bent forward slightly, her back one was straight. Her sword arm was ready and her grip soft, waiting for Janus' signal to start.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness took the makeshift weapon, and mirrored her stance, though he held none of the elegance with which Primrose stood. Harkness would be the first to admit that he wasn't the best sword handler. He could use it, yes, but with finesse? He was more like a woodsman hacking away at a tree, than an artist. And he could already tell Primrose would be an artist.

Let her think she can win this one. She might be better at sword play... but I got size on her.

Still, as Janus gave the signal, the tall man gave a yell, and charged for Primrose, wielding his spoon like a mad-man.

GoblinFae

Primrose was a bit surprised by the fervor with which this man came at her. Moving instinctively she side stepped his first attack and then kicked his hand, disarming him on the first go. Pointing her spoon at his throat she taunted, "you are spoonless, do you surrender?"

In the background Janus' snorted and picked the spoon back up inching his way over behind Primrose.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Haze

Harkness flicked his wrist back as the spoon flew out of it, and stared down at the spoon pointed at his throat. At her words, he looked to Primrose, a wry smile on his lips. "Never." He replied, and swooped down, grasping her around the waist. "You know, I may be spoonless, but you have got nothing on this." With that, he hoisted her into the air, and slung her over his shoulder.

"Janus," He said, turning to the boy, whose eyes were wide with astonishment, "Show me the way to the nearest washbasin. Miss Primrose needs to wash her hair."