Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

"The situation?" Toren hissed through gritted teeth, truly terrified she might die or go into some shock at any moment. "You better not be dying on me. Gods help us all if you are," he lamented, though he was quick to divert them down the hall so he could bring her back upstairs.

He sent her request through to the cook via a passing kitchen maid but the slave was still anxious that Petal get anything she needed or wanted in such a crucial time if she was truly in danger. "And you can make it up the stairs?" he asked skeptically, worried about the effort taxing her too severely. "I can certainly carry you if you'd be more comfortable that way," he insisted once they'd reached the front of the house again.

GoblinFae

"Toren, Toren, Toren," she whispered, trying to gain his attention and calm him. "Calm down. I'm fine. I'm not going to die, I just don't feel well. And you most certainly will not be carrying me, I'm not that bad off. I just need some food and rest and someone to keep an eye on me now that I had that tea. Now don't argue with me and just walk with me up the stairs. It's only a worst case scenario and not what the present case." She shook her head in disbelief but the smile on her face did not disappear. It warmed her a bit inside to know she had such a good and caring friend. Ladybird only hoped he would allow her to return the favor properly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

The slave regarded her with skepticism. Did she really mean for him to let go of such a sudden statement? Such a thing seemed urgent and he was wary of leaving it to chance and misplaced pride.

He wanted so much to protest but her request of his obedience was something he could not deny her even feeling as awful as he did. "You are truly a mystery," Toren sighed, securing his arm around her firmly in support before stepping carefully to lead her back upstairs. "How long am I to keep an eye on you?" he asked warily, already casting a furtive glance towards the direction of his master's quarters even before they'd reached the landing.

GoblinFae

She chuckled softly at his comment. "All women are, Toren. Just the way we're built." As they ascended Ladybird patted his arm kindly and reassuringly. "If you're worried about the courtyard you won't be in trouble. It's my responsibility and as long as the job gets done Akakios shouldn't be displeased. I don't intend to keep you from your other work for long either, just a few hours really. I'm sure if he'll understand if he asks and once I explain. Really Toren, please try not to worry," she soothed as they entered her room at last. "We just both need the rest," she whispered to him with a pointed look.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

"With respect, Petal, my master can choose to be displeased with me whenever he desires," Toren reminded her, hating that he was bound in such a way. It was just the way of things, though. If Akakios chose to have mercy than he might not be punished for assisting her but he was always free to do as he wanted. He didn't think that smart to tell her in such detail, though, no good would come of him bad-mouthing Akakios to her.

"I can manage, though," he insisted, though he was decidedly not all right. "I will rest if you insist upon it, but please don't trouble yourself too much for my sake. Before you I survived and I will survive after your job is done."

He directed her back to her quarters, guiding her gently by the arm and insisting upon getting the door for her. If nothing else he wanted to help her get settled and comfortable. "You might wish to talk to him eventually, Petal. It won't be good for you to be working outside the day after such a taxing thing. Perhaps ask if he might adjust his...schedule to accommodate you to cause the least discomfort possible."

GoblinFae

"I insist," she cut in firmly. "You will let me be a friend to you Toren because that is what friends are for. Akakios did not require me to work, that was my choice and a bit of a foolish one at that but nonetheless my own choice. He can be as displeased as he wants but then does not mean I will allow him to take that out on you. I may be incapable of protecting you from everything but as a friend I will do my best just as I know you already do for me."

Ladybird smiled knowingly at him as they entered the room and she closed the door quietly. "No sit yourself down and prop your legs up so you can get a bit of rest. I doubt I can convince you to lay in the bed anyway and I know you probably feel ten times worse than I do right about now if my suspicions are correct."

She sighed softly as she sat herself on the edge of her bed. "Have some faith in me, Toren. I know I can't make your life perfect or even close, but at least let me do what I can to help. I'm not going anywhere, even with this is done I'll still be your friend. I hope that you'll still be mine too..."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He was honestly quite stunned at her sentiments, his eyes going a bit wide as he sat down on a chair nearest to her bed. Toren just stared at her, uncertain why she was acting so differently towards him compared to other "guests" of the house through the years. None had ever dared claim such passionate friendship let alone promise to remain close in the future.

Toren could only assume, sadly, that her fate would be like all the others before her and that he would one day be burying her somewhere among the gardens she was working to build. It was at least nice for her to think of him as a part of her future instead of him thinking of her as a part of his past.

"That's all very kind, Petal, but I wouldn't worry about your suspicions at all," he spoke softly, flashing an encouraging smile as he adjusted to drag the chair closer to the bed so that they might still talk. "If you wish it I would happily remain your friend, of course, it is just not very often ladies make such an offer to someone like myself," he teased her lightheartedly. "Now is there anything you need? Anything at all I can fetch you before your food arrives?"

GoblinFae

Ladybird crossed her arms over her chest, adopting a very clear expression of determination expectation, much like a mother would before addressing a wayward child. "Now Toren, I can change everything about the way things are but when it comes to our friendship we are nothing more than two people, Toren and Petal. I understand that in public it cannot necessarily be so but in private it most certainly will be and I shall not stand for anything else unless of course you decide you do not wish to be friends which you have every right to do. You are my friend, Toren and that means something very special to me," she told him with a fond smile as she adjusted and relaxed herself against the pillows propped up against the headboard.

"Now then the only things I require of you are the knowledge as to whether or not you also ensured that you would be having lunch with me and a promise you will rest here after lunch." Ladybird offered him a teasing scowl that lasted only a few mere seconds before she was giggling. "If you refuse either I may be forced to jab you with a spoon, dear friend and I'm not sure how that will really go given my short reach but I'm prepared to go to such measures."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He was surprised by her insistence but it truly warmed his heart to hear it. It was a rare treat to have someone so fond of him and he would gladly take what attention he could if she was that determined to give it. "I wish to be... Thank you," he told her honestly, nodding his head respectfully despite her playfulness.

"I will eat with you, yes, I just... Don't know how it might go if he finds me resting with you here." The slave cast a nervous look behind them at the door. "I know you will give your reasons for wanting me here but that doesn't keep him from retaliating once you are gone," he pointed out with a sudden sadness. Perhaps he was far too worried but the slave's paranoia was real and quite founded. His master was not a pleasant man when he felt he'd been disobeyed. More than anything he knew he hated feeling undermined, uncertain how he would perceive him taking orders from his guest.

"I suppose we should just enjoy what time we have, though. I'd hate to ruin a good spoon with slave blood," he teased her, looking away again as a gentle knock sounded. He was up as quickly as he could manage and went to retrieve their food. Petal's arrangement was clearly far superior to the slave's simpler meal. Taking it over to her he plucked his bowl off of it before presenting her with the tray and taking his seat once more. "There we are."

GoblinFae

Her opinion differed with his but she kept her thoughts to herself, unwilling to stress him further with the notion that she would do everything in her power to protect him. She only hoped she could be enough. Ladybird thanked him nonetheless once he retrieved their lunch though her gaze was quickly focused on the differences in their foods. It caused her lips to purse as she looked first from one bowl to the next.

She had fresh bread, stew, and even some cut fruit while his own stew looked more watery soup. With a determined and swift move her hands, she quickly tore her little loaf of bread in half and placed it on his lap with a pointed look that dared him to argue. "Stew's no good without bread to dip in it. If you're going to be looking out for me then you need to keep your strength up, right?" Ladybird dared him to protest even as she popped a crisp apple slice into her mouth and chewed slowly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He ate slowly, the warmth in his hands and belly enough to comfort him a little. The bread she offered, well forced upon him was met with a concerned stare. Toren picked it up and made to return it to her but then he noticed the way she was looking at him.

He opened his mouth to protest instead, but no words came. "You should not share so much with me," he warned her, though he wasn't exactly sure how Akakios could ever punish her for not eating and happening to allow him to eat instead. It was a tricky thing and he really did not wish to find out that day. Or ever.

"Thank you, though," Toren finally added, gingerly tearing off a small piece to pop into his mouth to humor her. "I must admit I feel a little bad for leaving them down there." He flinched, casting a troubled glance at the door again as he heard footsteps drawing near. They went by without stopping, though. Just a maid, perhaps.

GoblinFae

She ignored his suggestion but nodded her head at his thanks. "You needn't worry for them so I think. Once they finish I'm sure they'll return to whatever it was they were up to before. They certainly seemed eager to. When I return next week I'll see about bringing something to share with them to help ease the work if they become regular assistants. Good help should always be rewarded no matter the cause or person."

Ladybird ate slowly, feeling sore and tired. She did not dare stop though for fear of earning a disapproving look from Toren or even another pleading word. She understood that she made him uncomfortable and some of it she would allow him but she was too stubborn to allow his fears rule hers. "Is...is it really that bad, Toren?" the young woman asked him in a very quiet voice. "Is there...abuse?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

She certainly didn't have to pay the boys from her own pockets, the thought alone leaving him with a bit of a scowl. He didn't want to admit that a reward would probably earn her their undying loyalty, though.

Her gentle voice roused him from his reflections, the questions making him tense considerably. There definitely was abuse but his tired, haunted eyes stared in wonder for how she'd guessed it so clearly. It wasn't something he was at liberty to reveal, though, much as he wished he could be honest with her. His voice belonged to Akakios in his home.

"My master is a very kind man. Always so patient and lenient with me," he praised in slow speech. His eyes closed briefly in shame and he nodded in a subtle gesture she hoped she might understand without further prying at their current location.

GoblinFae

Ladybird caught the nod and after staring at him for a moment, offered a nod of her own in return. There was no hiding the defeated sadness displaying so painfully clear upon her face. "I'm sorry," she replied quietly," then a beat later added, "I hope you do not believe I was wishing to offend or accuse." She tried to offer him a small smile but it did not have the warmth that usually filled her smiles.

Glancing towards the stack of books beside her though she had an idea. "Toren, please forgive me as I mean no insult but would it bother you if I read aloud? I am eager to delve more into these plant books here but I just know if I do it quietly I will nod right off to sleep and I'm unwilling to do that as of yet. I really should be doing something productive with my time here."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He caught her nod and for a moment a flash of panic shot through him. What if she betrayed him to his master? Of course he hadn't really said anything about it but implying anything was enough for Akakios as they had so painfully been made aware in the recent past. Rumor was enough for him.

"I don't mind at all, but... Wouldn't you rather get some rest?" He frowned and set his meal aside once he'd mostly finished it. "I could make sure you don't sleep too long but it really isn't the worst thing in the world for you to do so."

GoblinFae

"Thank you, Toren but I admit I am restless even though I am tired," she sighed in defeat. "Perhaps if I read for a bit though I will be able to quiet my mind enough to sleep. I just," Ladybird sighed heavily again and shook her head in disappointment.

"Toren I don't want to be judged lacking. I'm not weak and I don't want to be seen that way because of anything, not my sex, not my status in life, not my trade. I admit unease with how simple things appear here. Perhaps it is my right to ask for such things," she noted waving her hand at the room, "but there is always a price to pay and that which is 'mine' only lasts as long as I am held in high regard, without fault or weakness. I do not enjoy standing on the edge of the knife as it were and wondering when I shall slip and fall unable to recover.

"Too much talk from me anyway. I'm sorry about that, Toren. I'm just really glad I have a friend in you to share it with though. Friends are rather hard to come by these days. I can't say it enough and mean it more deeply than I do. I hope you don't find me presumptuous or petty for that."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"Well do as you wish, then," he insisted with a kind smile, chuckling a bit for her rambling despite the slight pain it caused him in his shoulder. "For what it's worth, though... I think you're quite capable. Not lacking at all."

The slave rose slowly from his chair to close the small space between them. Despite the books being right beside her he felt the need to offer his assistance either way. "Is there a particular one you want?" he asked distractedly, running his hand along their spines.

GoblinFae

She tilted her head back, wincing severely as she stretched her wounds. Ladybird rubbed the spot carefully before offering Toren an encouraging smile. "You choose. I honestly don't even know where to begin. I think we'd be extremely if we found anything anyway. I highly doubt anyone has tried such things before. Or at least I certainly have not heard any tales of vampires and their pain-free bites. Granted, I haven't heard many stories of vampires to begin with," she laughed lightly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Toren hummed, a soft chuckle of agreement quickly turning to another grimace. He really had to stop doing that.

"I'm sure we'll need to do a lot of experimentation. Maybe... Maybe something for a different kind of bite or sting would help," he mused. Indecisive, he finally chose one from the middle of the stack after carefully setting the others aside. It was as much to split the stack for easier access for her later as it was to just choose something.

He leaned against the side of the bed for temporary support but felt it would be better if he returned to his chair. "Try this one," he encouraged, holding it out carefully to her just barely above her lap as an expectant smile played as his lips.

GoblinFae

"A wise suggestion," she agreed, her face openly reflecting the novelty of his idea as she herself had not thought of it first. Ladybird quickly accepted the book from him with a wide smile, her fingers almost lovingly smoothing over and caressing the cover of the bound text as it rested heavily in her lap. "Sit, sit, sit," she continued, urging him back into his chair with an encouraging wave of her hand. "We could only be so lucky to get it right on the first try, eh? I fear Toren you have a long road ahead of you listening to me. I hope you're comfortable," she teased while eyeing him with a truly maternal gaze. "Make sure you don't catch a chill now. Strenuous labor followed by cool stillness is never good for the body."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]