Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New blind guy

Started by appleyard, May 22, 2014, 01:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appleyard

As the title of this thread clearly indicates, I'm new, and I'm blind. As for being new, this goes beyond simply being new to this site, which is also true, but rather, I am a beginner at the whole play by post scene. There are a number of fantastic links here that have been helpful in explaining this to me, to which I am grateful to the powers responsible for their creation. Still, I have little doubt that I will err at some point, in some significant way. That's part of learning after all. The other part is, of course, correction. With regards to which, don't ever hesitate to correct me on some point, I wont get angry, because well... I'm asking for it.

Now, for a little personal information, which while not entirely necessary, might be helpful to know when interacting with me. I've been completely blind most of my life, and had relatively poor vision since birth. Thus, there are some visual concepts that are a bit strange to me, but hopefully they wont become an issue during our interactions. The real important factor is that I am learning how my screen-reader works with this site, and the limitations there of. That means that things that might at first seem obvious, may not be for me, as this site was designed for a graphics interface, and I'm not using one. I shall update here, as I learn more about the site and what my limitations are. One to mention right of the bat, though, is that I cannot perceive character tag images. JAWs, which is the screen-reader I use will not describe them. So, while I can listen to anything described in a character bio, any accompanying image is a complete mystery to me. I know this is a bit long, but I hope that this is somewhat helpful. Again, if anyone has any questions, or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.   

Alegretto

Welcome to Spirits of the Earth, it's a pleasure to meet you, and I look forward to seeing what you create here.

Don't worry about any mistakes made, I can't tell you the number of times I messed up in my opening weeks. This is a welcoming community, and a forgiving one, and I have no doubts that you will be able to find your niche here.

Oh, and I'm gonna send this back at you, don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have. This is a pretty big site and it can be intimidating at first, but we're all here to help.

zozee9

Welcome to the site! No worries being new to this kind of thing (many people who join are, including me when I joined a few years ago) and ask all the questions you have. :) Erring is completely natural, and we'll let you kindly know of course!

I hope this isn't insensitive in any way (and if it is, please let me know immediately!), but I think it's really awesome that you're doing this despite being blind. I feel like that would make all of this harder for you. I don't think character tag images should be a problem, since I believe everybody writes a description of the character even if they have pictures. The only question I have for you—and please, let me know if this is offensive—is how colors work for you. In other words, if I'm threading with you and I write a post, would it be meaningful to describe what color things are? Or would shapes, textures, and the like be better?

Anyway, I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time here! <3
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

Welcome to the site, appleyard. Take your time getting settled in and never hesitate to ask questions.  Don't worry about mistakes, we all make them, and I'm sorry to hear about your blindness, but if we ever play together in a thread in the future, I'll keep that in mind when writing up my descriptions :)  Zozee asked a few questions I was curious of as well, but if there's anything that can help us as your fellow writers help you play easier, just let us know!

Hope you have fun with us!

-The Spice
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

GoblinFae

Welcome!

Glad you could join us here at SotE. We're always excited to have new members ^_^ Once you have your character(s) up and ready to roll just let us know and we'll get you started in no time. Don't be afraid to ask us any questions, we're a friendly bunch and eager to assist in any way can.

I admit that I have some VERY basic understanding of how JAWS works although I am more familiar with NVDA. Is this your first roleplaying forum experience or did you used to write on other sites?

I look forward to working with you in the future!
Happy writing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

appleyard

Quote from: zozee9 on May 22, 2014, 01:20:34 PM
Welcome to the site! No worries being new to this kind of thing (many people who join are, including me when I joined a few years ago) and ask all the questions you have. :) Erring is completely natural, and we'll let you kindly know of course!

I hope this isn't insensitive in any way (and if it is, please let me know immediately!), but I think it's really awesome that you're doing this despite being blind. I feel like that would make all of this harder for you. I don't think character tag images should be a problem, since I believe everybody writes a description of the character even if they have pictures. The only question I have for you—and please, let me know if this is offensive—is how colors work for you. In other words, if I'm threading with you and I write a post, would it be meaningful to describe what color things are? Or would shapes, textures, and the like be better?

Anyway, I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time here! <3

I strongly doubt that you can ask any question that will offend me. Trust me on that, and believe me, I've been asked plenty of questions, some of which don't bear repeating. So, don't ever worry about that. To answer your query though, go ahead and write with colors. First, I have an extensive file on colors and their basic characteristics, at least in regards to the primary colors, which means I at least have a basic understanding of whatever you use... in theory. Secondly, and more importantly, your visual descriptions might help me understand an aspect of reality, which while I find fascinating, I barely comprehend. No, what I meant, and in hindsight, what I should have said, is that I am more comfortable in the secondary senses than the primary one, and use them heavily in my writing.

Allow me to demonstrate.  A typical description for me will go something like this:

"... The scent of lathered horse fumes lingered in the air for several minutes after the animal was lead away. It warred with the frigid howling near absolving wind.  It battled with the field stripped nutmeg of the dancing worrying snowflakes. It scuffled with the bitter solidity of the brick and granite that made up the three buildings arrayed before him and the majority of the cobblestones under foot. It skirmished with the twinges of iced over earth and Chypre of the shrubs that stood sentry on the lawns behind him. It was an oder he knew well. The salty tang of sweat intermingled with the low musk of hide –without the anoyance of stretching, tanning, smoking, - the low notes of earth, before the snuff of mud and grass are tossed into it; married to the high cha-like of dawny hair and clustered fur. Every horse had that perfume as it's base, with something particular to itself mixed in. Oft times, indeed too many to count, he had enjoyed the aulfactory caress of a stallion to the touch of any woman. More from the fact that horses never made him nervous.
   A part of him, a rather small part to be sure, wanted to delay his purpose in coming here for just a bit. That tiny voice whispered that making a brief ture of the stables wouldn't be a bad thing at all. It would definitely make the stablemaster, an old cragy faced fellow with a chin strap beard more salt than pepper, as pleased as punch if he did. Of course, it would also make his mother hopping mad and the lady Elerene as well. "

As is no doubt readily apparent from what is above, aulfactory sensations are what I am most comfertable with. Now, while all my posts wont be like this, some times other sensations will have to take center stage, this hopefully gives you an idea of my style.   

Winters-Feather

Cool!
I've never actually read anything written completely with senses other than sight... That is a whole new experience wow. Thanks!

We have a chat box, personal message system, and a "question and suggestions" sub forum. Feel free to use those to post questions. You're probably going to want to know the geographical lay out? That confuses me a lot and i have to check the maps sometimes  oi.

Oh, god, all the mistakes I make... *curls up in corner and grows mushrooms*

appleyard

Quote from: GoblinFae on May 22, 2014, 03:00:21 PM
Welcome!

Glad you could join us here at SotE. We're always excited to have new members ^_^ Once you have your character(s) up and ready to roll just let us know and we'll get you started in no time. Don't be afraid to ask us any questions, we're a friendly bunch and eager to assist in any way can.

I admit that I have some VERY basic understanding of how JAWS works although I am more familiar with NVDA. Is this your first roleplaying forum experience or did you used to write on other sites?

I look forward to working with you in the future!
Happy writing!

NVDA? I am afraid I'm not familiar with that one. I only know JAWs and Window Eyes. To answer your question though, yes, this is my first online role-playing experience. I've played a few tabletops RPs and did some acting back in high school and as an undergrad. You guys have some great links on how things are done here, and I'm slowly listening to them as I begin to get my characters together. Once I've got the bare bones thought out I'll post them for review and after that actually go through the process of forum character creation.   

GoblinFae

NVDA is a program for Linux systems which at the time I was learning to use it, was the computer I had to wrangle with. From what I understand though JAWs is similar.

This was/is my first RP site too! (I never left :D) Take all the time you need to get things set up for yourself though. And if you get lost in the links, we can always direct you to the most relevant information. I know personally I'm always having to dig through something or another to find that ONE piece of information I've forgotten.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

appleyard

General note, I can't send PMs. I know where the necessary link is, but can't find the hook to access it. A code delving has so far been unfruitful in enabling me to see how to rectify the issue. I believe that I can hear PMs that are sent to me, but until I deal with the current issue, I can't send any of my own. Thank you, that is all.

visualspice

Thanks for letting us know!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

zozee9

Thank you for telling us! <3
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Cronowind

Appleyard seems pretty fly for a blind guy. Welcome!

...What?

appleyard

Just testing something
The Ashenwood Peddling Company
Company Heads

• Isoldina Troriiryra Bylydeztyn. Iilor of the company in Ravensway.

• Abargandar Sharak. Iilor of the company in Tirial.

• Lillen Usharâg.  Iilor of the company in Altas Verde

• Nicolas Shilmista. Iilor of the company in Adela.

Winters-Feather

appleyard

Just as a general head's up, I've not fallen of the face of the earth, and I've every intention of finishing writing up my character. At the moment however, I'm somewhat busy finishing up an article for publication. You know how it is, no play until the chores are done. So, don't expect to see much from me for the next few weeks. Goblin, I'll give you a full run down on what is and not going on with altering my profile when I get back; until then, happy writing. 

GoblinFae

Take your time friend! We'll still be here when you get back. Congrats on publication though! I know how hard that can be to get done. Just finished up my own drafts to head to the big boss for publication in a science journal. Lots of work but at least there is always good old SotE to fall back on once everything is done :) I'm sure you feel the same.

Happy writing yourself and talk to you soon!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Aeytrious

I must say that your words are amazing. Really. The olfactory description was lovely. I've never read anything like that, and it made me wonder about reading a novel written in that style. It's so beautiful. Well anyway, welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay here with us on Spirits of the Earth. And don't work too hard.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

appleyard

I'm glad you liked it, Subliminaey, as I'm writing a mystery, my first,  that involves a blind mediator as one of the protagonists. Chapters that are from his perspective have very little visual descriptions in them, but plenty of the other stuff.   

appleyard

Before I begin, Goblin, I just want you to know I appreciate all the help you've given me so far, and if there's an award for this, I intend to track it down and suggest you get it. That's not to say that others haven't been helpful, but you've really gone the extra mile here. What's more, you are about to be subjected to something that might be confussing, but you've used a screen-reader before, so maybe not. For the rest of you, if this seems confusing, just remember, you don't have to deal with it, the GYI makes it easy.

• first, I either type in the command for a links list dialogue box, or a master link command, "Prf 1"
  • if I have typed in the command for a links list, then I type in "p" until "profile command link" is mentioned.
  • I then type in the process command.
  • I then hear "profile page, appleyard". Followed by "image map link Advertise/Affiliate."
  • I tab once and hear " Image map, other." Just as a note, whenever I encounter an image, it will say "image map," or "image map link" if it's a link inside an image. The major issue for this is often JAWS just thinks it's an image and not say the link, even if the link is specified, unless the link is primary and the image is secondary. This holds at times when the link is an Icon, not just a text line. Anyhow, four tabs later, I arrive at "modify," I type in the process command, and nothing happens. Not a thing. The crazy thing is I can go in and hear the hook, even hear the full command line for it, but the command line appears to be set up four pointer curser only. I am not sure if there is a keyboard command for the pointer curser or not, but haven't found one yet. So, Goblin, that's my problem. Thoughts?