Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Latent Dream (Summervale) [Cramler] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, March 07, 2024, 04:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

He tilted his head some as Fletcher paused and then smiled tiredly as he continued. "I'd say you're talking like a friend. At least it's eight hours and not six though. I might actually have lucid moments if only three times a day. What a blessing."

Theo rubbed at his face tiredly, blinking slower as they talked. "I am sorry though you had to see me in pain. I don't mean to make you...uncomfortable? Upset."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Neither," Fletch said — and it was true from his perspective. Back at the tailor, he hadn't been uncomfortable with the idea of pain. He'd been horrified at himself for being the one to cause it. And maybe that was still what drove him to do all of this — that and his guilt at the thought of leaving.

He sighed and picked at his fingers again. Unbeknownst to him, his leg began to bounce. How would he even broach that subject? He was sure Theo would think he was a bastard for it. And Neish...she wouldn't understand at all, would she? How had he let himself get so comfortable here — so content to come in and find family in these people and then blow it all up?

But now wasn't the time for it. He could have his pity party later when his friend was asleep. He glanced back up at Theo. "How's it feeling?"

GoblinFae

Fletcher was anxious about something but for the life of him Theo could not figure out what about or if he was the cause. There was a silence between them as the man blinked slowly several times. His thoughts felt like wooden blocks being dragged through mud and weeds.

"I am become slug," he declared, closing his eyes. A soft gasp and widening of his eyes had them quickly snapping back open. "Do I look like one too? I can't be a slug, Mother would not like that."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletch did his very best not to laugh at the sudden onset of hallucinations. "No, no, you had the right idea before. Close your eyes. You don't look like a slug, Theo. You're still pretty. Just get some rest." He got to his feet and stood over the bedside table, making certain that he'd procured everything the man needed. "You want anything, I can have Neish fetch it. I'll be in the corner. Just shout." Then he dragged the chair back next to the window, flopped down in it, and settled in.

GoblinFae

Theo fought the exhaustion coming over him and made a soft sound of protest. He tried to fight to push the covers off himself but everything felt like he was fighting through the mud now as it threatened to suck him under.

"I can't see your lips if you're over there," he complained, wishing he could follow but unable to do more than give a weak dying fish flail before giving up. Theo let his head fall back more against the pillow and stared up at the swirling patterns on the ceiling. His head turned from time to time to stare at something else for long periods of time before turning back to focus on something else.

Suddenly though he sat up with some effort and looked towards the door. "What was that sound? Did you hear that?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

It grew quiet for a moment. He thought that at last, Theo might have fallen asleep. In an effort to while away the hours and entertain himself, he'd gotten up and dug through the bookcase, searching for anything that wasn't some dry academic wank show about history or anthropology or...whatever. These were the kinds of books he'd learned to expect nobles to display when they wanted others to know just how well-learned they were. He pulled one likely candidate out — one with a little silver stamp of a tall ship on the spine. But no, it was in their language and not his. He was about to return it when he noticed a pile of books stacked behind the upright ones. He tutted and shifted more books around until he could successfully draw the hidden ones forward. "Secret stash? Really?" he chuckled. His grin widened further as he looked through them before selecting a particularly promising one — some absurd, racey bodice ripper from the looks of it. "Ohoooo, Theo. That's more like it."

Carefully, he replaced everything but the one he'd borrowed and settled back into his chair. He'd just started paging through it when Theo spoke up. "No, Theo, there's nobody at the — "

It caught up to him mid-sentence. He clapped the book shut and leaned it against the arm of the chair and stood. "Right. This is going to be a long week, isn't it?" he said to nobody before dragging the same chair back over to the bed. He dropped back into it and crossed his legs as he'd done before, then lifted his entertainment and found where he'd left off. "There's nobody there, Theo. Go back to sleep."

GoblinFae

His head swiveled to look at Fletcher and read his lips. The answer however forced him to deflate and resettle back into bed looking utterly gutted. "Right. Of course there isn't. How could I hear anything? I'm deaf." He shook his head in disgust and rolled onto his side to watch Fletcher. "I didn't know you liked to read. You're blocking my mirror," Theo abruptly stated. "I use it to see the door open behind me except all I see is a lot of Jack Daw....Jack...Daw. Jackdaw. Your parents have a really cruel sense of humor, huh?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

He glanced up from the book again, equal parts worried and amused. "So sorry, Master Theodore, sir," he replied dryly. But he shut the book a second time and dragged the chair again so that Theo had a clear line of sight to the mirror. He fell back into it. "Can't have me blocking the bloody view, can we?" he grumbled before returning to the book. This time, though, he didn't open it — only stared down at the cover, lost in thought.

"That one was Ven," he replied at last. "Jackdaw. ...Nightjar. Dunno why he went with birds. Stupid, really. But it put good distance between me and the past, so I've kept it. Better than hearing my dad's name every damned day. Now. You going to let me read this, or...?"

GoblinFae

"Thank you. It...it makes me feel safe." Theo blinked. "Not that you being here makes me feel unsafe but...I really hate how easy it is to come up behind me. Or how easy it is for someone to be standing over me when I sleep. I slept in a dresser drawer for months before Father had them all taken away until I regularly slept in my bed."

Theodore quieted and watched Fletcher talk. He chose not to push the names topic but hoped when this was all over he'd remember enough to ask again later. Maybe he should rename himself to something he wanted instead of his father's name or his husband's name. A name all of his own and his own choosing. "Or I could give him a name," he unintentionally spoke aloud before dissolving into giggles.

He waved his hand at Fletcher to signal the mane could read in peace. And for several moments there was comfortable silence. But, just as Fletcher was likely starting to settle into what he was reading Theo piped up again. "So what're you reading?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's face fell. He was no stranger to it: the way one hid in order to sleep safely. In closets, or under beds, with your back against the wall and your eyes to the door. "'Course he fucking did," he murmured. "They get off to fear, don't they?" He seethed there quietly for a while as Theo fell still. But it seemed that that quiet wouldn't last long at all while the man was on his medicine, for he spoke up again.

"You'll give me a name? It's only fair. I gave you one. Erm...oh. This? Some really good shit, Theo. I've got to hand it to you. I thought you weren't the type. Nice to know you've got good taste in literature."

Fletcher flipped open the book and cleared his throat — though he lowered his voice considerably as he began to read the blurb. "Set sail on a tantalizing tale of forbidden romance. Join Captain Mateo and his enigmatic cabin boy, Gabriel, as they navigate a stormy sea of passion and revenge. Will their love conquer all, or will the lure of hidden booty tear them apart in 'Rogue Hearts'?"

At the word 'booty', he began to snicker, but the look he gave Theo was one of pure joy. "Can I borrow this? Looks like you've read it enough by how beaten up the pages are."

GoblinFae

He blinked slow and curiously at Fletcher before the dramatic synopsis reading suddenly started to register in his brain. With a dramatic gasp and surprising speed given his medicated state, Theo launched himself out of bed and at the other man. He fell in a heap at Fletcher's feet but that hardly stopped him from using his good hand and opposite elbow to claw, drag, and yank himself up into his bodyguard's lap without a second thought to the impropriety of the matter.

Straddling Fletcher's lap and doing his best to balance and extend his lean body against the other man's chest, he desperately attempted to reach and grapple for the book. The effort to crawl into his lap however seemed to have taken most of the fight and energy out of Theo though. He slumped against the other man's chest and loosed the softest, saddest, and most drawn out little 'noooo,' as he gave up.

Of all the books the man had to find why did it have to be that one? Of course the pages were worn. It truly was one of Theodore's favorite books. He loved the adventure on the high seas, the slow-building romance, the dark past and horrors that the men loved each other in spite of, and the declaration of love at the end while unconventional always made his heart sing with longing. It was the graphic drawings throughout the book however that had Theo the most panicked. Fletcher couldn't see that! That would be the end of life as Theo knew it! How embarrassing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Fletcher's smile dropped as soon as Theo leapt out of bed. "Whoa, hey, alright, I'll put it down — " He propped the book against the side of the chair again and made to stand, but Theo was — somehow — quicker, and before he knew it the nobleman was crawling his way into his lap to straddle him like a whore. "Theo. Theo. Theo, no — "

He shot a nervous glance at the door, wishing he'd kept it locked, and attempted to pry the nobleman off of him, but the man just slumped further into his arms. Fletch let out an exasperated sigh and a string of curses, briefly falling limp in defeat before doing what he knew he had to in order to get Theo back to bed. "I'm sorry. Alright? Let it be known. Not my idea," he mumbled to nobody. "I'm a proper fucking gentleman, Theo. Wasn't my bloody idea."

Fletch wedged his hands backwards beneath the man's thighs, rocked a few times for momentum, and lifted them both from the chair. "What in the fuck are they feeding you?" he wheezed as he staggered forward and lowered Theo back down onto the bed. He swung the man's legs back up from the floor and then stepped back, winded and annoyed. "Do I need to tie you down?" he asked.

GoblinFae

He grumbled softly some at being lifted but just wrapped his arms around Fletcher to cling more securely as he was carried back to bed like a small child rather than a grown man in his mid-late 30's. It was a blessing the medication made him so loopy as he likely would have protested mightily and been wholly embarrassed over his inappropriate displays. Instead though he simply nuzzled in closer and allowed himself to be redirected and tucked back into bed.

"Are you calling me fat? You touched my bu--rear...butt-rear." Theo snorted and then giggled at his snort while squirming about in the bed to lay on his side facing Fletcher again, his hands tucked up by his chin like a perfect little angel. "That's not until chapter seven. No reading ahead." He yawned and nuzzled into the pillow, his eyes drooping closed. "You're going to hate me so much when this is all over. But, at least I can pretend I have my friend back for now...I'm sorry."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Not like that," Fletch clarified, but he didn't seem particularly concerned that Theo had misunderstood him. He fell back into the chair for the thousandth time, rested his forehead in his hand, and rubbed at his face. There was no sense in arguing with a man so far gone on a deliriant, nor with one who couldn't hear what he had to say. Nevertheless, he said it, if only to himself: "You never lost him."

The days passed more or less the same: a blur of slow boredom punctuated by feverish conversations. Fletch took up the task of administering the medicine every quarter day, though his fellow bodyguards relieved him in between so he could rest. Oftentimes, though, he refused to return to his quarters, and several times he fell asleep in that chair with the book against his chest. He'd been smart to select men for the rotation who were lenient to this sort of behavior. None of them said a damned word to the Baron — at least, that he could tell. None of them commented on the nature of the book, either, though Ash snickered when he caught sight of one of the drawings.

On one such night, when the other men had long since gone to bed at his insistence, Fletch lay slumped in the chair, arms hung limp and head lolled to one side. He'd made the mistake of having a nightcap, and in the deafening silence of Theo's room, he'd nodded off. He thought he dreamed it: the tick-tack-tick-tack of claws on the wooden floor, accompanied by a soft sniff and a girl's giggle. Theo's bed shifted and groaned as though it carried some other weight, and his blankets rustled. "Is it time yet?" Fletch murmured in his sleep, unaware that Theo's room was now host to two unbidden occupants.

GoblinFae

The passage of time was impossible for Theodore to differentiate. He woke, he was forced into taking meds, sometimes he ate, sometimes he bathed and cared for himself, mostly he slept. Yet, without fail Fletcher was there every time he woke regardless of the time of day or night. He was there for the slap happy, comedic delirium as much as he was for the far more terrifying moments where Theo hallucinated sounds and faces of people and things that were not present. Where memories and reality bled into one and he found himself drowning in the sea of guilt and regret.

Something cold and wet pressed in against his neck as he slept, startling him awake as he was snuffled and attempted to shrink more under the covers. "Jaaack," he whined in protest. "Heeeelp. Invisible monster licking meeee."

Unbeknownst to Theo, behind him on the bed Aya was trying to dig and paw him out from the covers while Aneisha giggled more at the dog's antics from her spot sitting on the bed. "Aya be good," she whispered at the dog trying to keep her from pawing at the nobleman more but utterly failing in her efforts.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

Someone called for Jack. "The fuck is Jack?" he murmured, shifting in his chair and wincing at his stiff neck. "Mmh. Go back to sleep, Theo," he added out of habit. "It's not real. Just go to sleep." But the noises continued, and more and more it became clear that he hadn't hallucinated at all. Someone was in the room with them.

Fletcher's eye snapped open and he squinted, desperate to make sense of every blurred figure that moved in the dark. Then Neish spoke, and she said Aya's name, and it clicked. "Neish!" he admonished her as he shot to his feet. The book tumbled from his lap to the floor and fell open. He stepped over it, nudging it shut with his boot before hurrying to the door. "Not in the damned house. Fuck, woman, you'll lose us both our jobs."

Slowly, he cracked the door open and peered out into the hallway. There was Ash where he'd left him, looking distinctly like he was desperate not to crack a grin. "You in on this?" Fletch hissed. The guard turned slowly with a feigned look of confusion, dark eyes twinkling roguishly. "In on what?" he asked. He took a bite of the sticky bun that Aneisha had clearly bribed him with. Fletcher scowled and pointed a stern finger. "I'm locking the door. Nobody comes in here. Make something up if you have to. You sneaky shit," he added, then shut it behind him and turned the lock firmly before rounding on Neish.

"She's got to go, Neish. She can't be in here. Aya. Leave him alone." He strode to the bed and wrapped his arms around the massive dog, trying in vain to pull her off of Theo. "Run to my room and grab a pasty off the dresser, would you? She won't listen."

GoblinFae

"Just give us five more minutes. She really wanted to see Teddy, I could tell and look how happy she is now!"

Theodore groaned and rolled onto his back as all the movement woke him up further. One of Aya's big paws smacked into his injured hand and he made a strangled cry of pain that had the dog stopping immediately. Aya nuzzled and whined, licking at his face in apology before laying down beside the nobleman.

"What time--water please," he rasped, using his good hand to pet her back and head absently.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Stubborn arses, all of you," Fletch grumbled as he released a dog who clearly could not be dragged from the bed without causing more harm to Theo. "Like children. And I wasn't built to be a parent," he added beneath his breath. He stood there panting from the effort of wrestling with Aya before scratching his brow and sighing resignedly. "Fine. Five minutes. Gives me time to help him with some water."

Fletch made for the bedside table and poured a fresh glass, then lowered himself onto the edge of the bed like he had when he first made Theo take his medicine. This time, though, there wasn't the nasty business of forcing tea down a grown man's throat. The practice of medicating him day and night, of fetching Theo food or drink and helping him out of bed, had numbed Fletch to what he had before considered untoward behavior. It was simply what needed to be done, now, and so he didn't bat an eye as he reached around Theo to hold his back and neck forward to prop the man up with a few more pillows.

He grasped Theo's left wrist and moved his hand to the glass of water, closing the man's slender fingers around it and ensuring that it wouldn't fall. "Here."

GoblinFae

Aneisha giggled deeply, flopping back onto the bed and getting comfortable in all the luxury since she wasn't being immediately chased off. The tenderness between the two men though did not escape her curious gaze. There was caring for someone, of course but then there was the way Theo leaned towards Fletcher, the way he relied on the bodyguard's grip on the glass to aid in holding it without a second hand to do it himself, or even the way he did not look up to read the man's lips, having formed such a routine that he was unbothered by it all.

"Does this mean you two are done being Sad Sallys and sulking all the time? You've been exhausting to watch and try and cheer up."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Nightcrawler

"Does what mean that — "

Fletch shot her an annoyed look. "I don't sulk. Theo's the one who sulks. Aren't you, sir?"

He took the glass gently from Theo's hand and returned it to the table before settling back in with the book. If Neish and the dog were going to be stubborn like this, he'd just have to give them a moment to let them think they'd won. It was probably unwise of him to have the bodice ripper open around anyone but the nobleman, but he was so bored of this damned room, and so he told himself he could laugh it off as a joke if push came to shove. He glared at Neish over the top of it. "Where did you get this idea that I've been sulking? That's slander, that is."