Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's Never Summer in the Snow

Started by GoblinFae, December 18, 2011, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

(OOC: Hope this works...this is my first RP experience so I'm still trying to find the balance of too much and too little info)

When she was a child, Zurna loved Summer in the Tundra. As a child, summer meant being allowed to play outside for short periods of time instead of being cooped up in her family's tent. Summer meant candies and new toys from the passing caravans. It meant new stories of exciting lands she had never seen, stories that would fuel her imagination for the cold months ahead. But, now as an adult all Zurna can think about is the amount of work she has yet to accomplish. With her brothers gone and her parents ailing she is now in charge of her family hearth.

'I wish Yotar had not married. Things would be so much easier if I did not have to look after his family as well as our own. If he was not married he would not even have his own boat to fish in and would instead be the one harvesting the peat moss right now,' she bitterly thought as her feet sank into the muck of the bog.

"Aunt Z! Aunt Z!" screamed the voices of her tiny twin nieces. "Aunt Z, the caravans are coming!" They excitedly exclaimed as they waded through the peat bog towards her. Zurna smiled as she was torn from her disgruntled thoughts. "Careful you two! If you fall in, I'm not pulling you out." She called back playfully.

'Then again,' she thought 'I could never resent him the happiness he has earned nor the joy his twins bring everywhere they go.'

Grabbing her basket and strapping it to her back she headed over to the girls taking them each by the hand and out of the bog.

"Now what is this I hear you saying about caravans?" Zurna asked as the trio headed towards camp.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

Sasha whistled quietly to himself.

Okay, so...right now? Right at this moment? His life was pretty near perfect. Even the weather was being kind to him - if he had't needed to keep at least one hand on the reins, he would have been sprawled flat on his back on the back step of the wonder-tent, working on his tan.

"Aunt Z!"

Oooh, that was loud! Only little children could ever be quite that piercing!

Taking a deep breath, he let his voice go. Big, as big and loud and booming as possible.

"I think I hear some little girls...did someone say my name?"

GoblinFae

Zurna heard the booming voice and smiled. "I don't know," she called back. "That depends on whether or not you're the caravan trader who always comes around this time of year." The twins giggled at their aunt's antics.

"Aunt Z, hurry up! All the good stuff will be taken if you keep up this pace."
"Yeah, Aunt Sir, you move slower than a snow crab stuck in the ice," piped in the other twin, Cara.
"Alright, alright you two I'm coming," she laughed spying the caravan up ahead.
"Good day to you!" She called to Sasha, "Got anything good to interest these two little monsters?"

The twins giggled as Zurna chased them about, tickling them as she caught them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

"I'm sure I can find something to suit such fine young ladies as yourselves, yeah!"

Sasha leapt down off the front of the front of the wagon, dropping into a crouch to be at eye level with the two little girls. They really were very little. He glanced at one, then the other, dropping his voice to a conspiratorial whisper.

"I've just come up from Connlaoth. They're very good at making things down there, especially toys. They make wonderful toys, and I try to bring some of them north for boys and girls just like you. If I open up the tent, would you like to have a look and pick something out?"

He turned his attention to the woman with them. The mysterious Aunt Z, weighed down by a tiny body in the curl of each arm. He nodded at her politely, smiled. Still on his knees as he was, it could have been decidedly embarrassing. He mouthed a few words. Winked.

I have candy too...shhhh

The truth was that he had a bit of everything in the back of the wagon. Food supplies for winter, the things that just wouldn't grow in a place as cold as this. Flintlock guns and metal tools; everyone knew Connlaothians were the best metalworkers around. Some timber - no trees up here. The toys and candy were a bonus, but...really, who could fault him for stocking up on those. when they made the kids smile and gave them something new to do over the long winter indoors?

Anonymous

"I'm sure I can find something to suit such fine young ladies as yourselves, yeah!"

Sasha leapt down off the front of the front of the wagon, dropping into a crouch to be at eye level with the two little girls. They really were very little. He glanced at one, then the other, dropping his voice to a conspiratorial whisper.

"I've just come up from Connlaoth. They're very good at making things down there, especially toys. They make wonderful toys, and I try to bring some of them north for boys and girls just like you. If I open up the tent, would you like to have a look and pick something out?"

He turned his attention to the woman with them. The mysterious Aunt Z, weighed down by a tiny body in the curl of each arm. He nodded at her politely, smiled. Still on his knees as he was, it could have been decidedly embarrassing. He mouthed a few words. Winked.

I have candy too...shhhh

The truth was that he had a bit of everything in the back of the wagon. Food supplies for winter, the things that just wouldn't grow in a place as cold as this. Flintlock guns and metal tools; everyone knew Connlaothians were the best metalworkers around. Some timber - no trees up here. The toys and candy were a bonus, but...really, who could fault him for stocking up on those. when they made the kids smile and gave them something new to do over the long winter indoors?

GoblinFae

The twins stared up at their aunt pleadingly. "You know," Zurna began, "I think if you made your eyes any wider they would pop right out of your heads. Go on you two." She swatted them on the behinds, letting them free. Aliyah and Cara squealed with delight. Laughing, Zurna called after them,"behave!"

Drawing her attention away from her rambunctious nieces, she held her hand out to the man before her. "I'm Zurna Nali. I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you before. Thank you for being so indulgent of them. Not many would share your kindness."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Sasha took the offered hand willingly, pulling himself to his feet. In the back of his mind, something made an approving little murmur - this young woman was stronger than she looked.

"Well you see miss, the plain truth of it is that I'm not really very good at being a grown up. Better that I should just face the facts and be an unusually big, hairy child...oh, and before I forget to intruduce myself altogether, I'm Sasha."

GoblinFae

Zurna let loose a belly laugh. "Better a child who never loses his wonder, than an old man jaded by the trodden path, I always say. Now," she began, taking on a more business-like tone, "besides toys and candyfor children, do you also carry other supplies. My family has some things we will be needing. Of course, I will not have any way to pay you back. Unless" she let her voice trail off as she contemplated the idea.

'Mother never minds another body at her hearth. But, would he be willing to come? The family is rather large and intimidating. I can't afford anything now. I only have the peat and we need that. I can't just leave though. We need the supplies.'

"Would you like to join my family tonight? It would be a change of pace I'm sure, to be able to sleep in a home versus a wagon." She smiled sweetly, giggling slightly at hearing the twin's exclamations of wonder from within. "I would be better able to trade with you then."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"If you'll have me, I'll gladly come. Lead the way."

She had a point about the home thing, too. There were comparatively few people up here who bothered with a permanent home for long - he himself had been born in a summer hunting shelter, so he was well and truly used to the nomad life by now - but it was always nice to find somewhere other than the Wonder Tent for a little while!

He took hold of Maddox's halter, giving it a gentle tug to lead her. If he guided her along, she'd pull the wagon happily enough...and with those little girls inside, they might well enjoy the ride.

"I can probably sort you out with the supplies you need. I've been going back and forth between here and Connlaoth since I was younger than you are now, so I've got a fairly good idea of what people want me to bring back up. Now, what was it you were wanting?"

GoblinFae

"Excellent," she replied, a beaming smile lighting up her face. Zurna eyed the moving wagon critically, slightly concerned about the girls inside. The soft giggles and Aliyah's suggestion that they both sit down quickly reassured her though.

"Well you see, I am not the only one who needs supplies. I am not quite sure what my brothers will need. I know I need a new hinting knife." Zurna pulled it out own to show him. The blade was thin and and harshly crinkled and chipped in places, showing both age and use. The handle was also cracked nearly in half, held together with a small amount of twine. "I'm afraid I'm a bit harsh on my tools. Is there anything in particular you trade for or with?" she inquired.

'Can we afford him? I really do need a new knife. It has already been too many winters I have held off getting one. I know the others also had some things they are running low. I just hope we can find an accord,' she worried, biting her lip slightly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"Tools and weapons I definitely have. There's no point going to Connlaoth to trade unless you look in on their metalwork, it's the best thing they have to offer...anything else? I have food, stuff that lasts over winter. I have a bit of timber if you need that. When we get to your family, I'll open up the back of the cart and then can have a look for whatever it is they think they might want."

Sasha smiled. He knew how this went...and as hard as she was trying to hide it, he wasn't really finding it too difficult to pick up on a trace of unease. That little bite down on her lip. The set of her shoulders. It was all there.

"As for payment... you can relax. Giving me a place to sleep will cover a lot of it, and whatever you have spare will be fine for the rest. I trade things to Connlaothians too - they'd go mad for stuff you and I don't even think of as valuable. Dried fish. Furs. Bits of bone that I can carve up into trinkets. Soapstone. I don't do this to get rich, lass."

GoblinFae

Zurna tried to smile but, could only manage a half-grimace. In the distance she could already see the columns of smoke indicating home was close. "You are kind Sasha but, I doubt you have ever seen anything quite like my family. I doubt a night's rest, some food, and a few trinkets will pay for all we need."

In her mind she was totaling up the things she already knew they needed and eliminated the things they could do without for one more season. 'I'm sure we can do without some metals and just use bone tools for the winter. Tarogato is not going to like that much but, what else can we do? That kind of equipment in those quantities doesn't come cheap when you have your own village for a family. Things that seem simple for him to just talk about trading we have so little excess of as it is. I'm going to have to go hunting tonight, I guess.'

They rounded the familiar snowbank, revealing a series of tents surrounding one very large one. 'Home,' her mind whispered happily. Turning to Sasha she smirked a little with pride. "I think you can understand now why things might be a bit difficult for us."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"Breathe. We can work this out. I told you already, I don't do what I do to be a rich man."

So she had a big family. By the number of tents - he did a quick mental count - she had a very big family. She was proud of it, too - look at that smirk, and the hot little spark of almost-defiance in her eyes.

"Sometimes I give things away, just to know that somebody who needs it has it. You have nothing to worry about."

GoblinFae

Zurna conceded nodding her head. "When the time is more appropriate we can discuss business. Now is the time for food to be eaten and rest to be taken," she smiled. At the mention of food, two tiny heads popped out of the wagon. Aliyah jumped down, leaving Cara behind and began to take off.

Moving quickly her young aunt was able to catch her and hold her in place. "Aunt Sir!" she whined. "What do you say Aliyah?" The little girl pouted up at Zurna, who refused to budge on the matter. The twin rolled her eyes, uttered a quick thank you to Sasha, and then took of running again.

If it had not been for Cara, looking nervously from inside the wagon, Zurna would have given a few choice words to her petulant niece. 'She's just like Sonya.' Cara was quickly helped down and also asked to thank the trader. Unlike her twin Cara, gave a softer and more meaningful thank you before burying her face in Zurna's shoulder.

"Come, I can introduce you to the rest of my family. Although," she paused, faltering slightly in her step. "I should warn you, I have twenty-five elder brothers. Don't take offense to anything they say. Boys will be boys," she huffed, throwing up the arm that was not holding Cara, before letting it slap back down against her thigh.

Zurna finally put the little girl down when they reached the entrance of the main tent. The flap door opened and Minali exited to embrace her only daughter. "You're home early dear. I thought you weren't coming back until tonight." The elder woman eyed the newcomer up and down, sharing a friendly smile.

"Momma this is Sasha. He is a trader. I was hoping he could share our hearth tonight."
"Of course! Come in, young man. Warm yourself by the fire. Zurna, how inhospitable of you, letting the poor boy freeze out here like that. Inside now both of you!" she scolded, chasing the laughing woman inside.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Twenty FIVE?!

Sasha's eyebrows shot up to hide in his hair. He hardly noticed, and then when he finally did all he could really do was hope no one else had picked up on it either. Twenty five brothers? For real? Her mother must have been pregnant for pretty much every moment of her adult life to manage that, or else had a lot of multiple births. Either way, this older woman with the kind eyes was almost certainly a lot more durable than she appeared.

Hm. Best to treat her with deference then. More than normal, anyway.

"I thank you for the kindness, ma'am. If there's anything in my stock that you think your family could use, feel free to take it in repayment."

GoblinFae

Minali laughed patting Sasha on the arm. "Don't be lookin' so worried boy. In these temperatures your face will freeze for sure. It could be years before it thaws out again. By then you could be an old man," she winked.

Inside the tent, Zurna removed her wrap and placed it on her bedroll. The spacious tent was moderately occupied considering the time of day and its available space. Her eldest sisters-in-law worked at one end of the large central fire gossiping and mending fishing nets. Across from them the men sat on crates carving bone tools and smoking from pipes. Zurna smiled greeting them each, before stirring the stew pot on the fire. "Mmm, food should be ready soon," she said gleefully, reaching for bowls.

The twins bounced about inside, telling anyone who would listen about the newcomer and his wares. Their aunt smiled. 'I haven't seen them this excited since the new grandchild was born. Perhaps after all the tools are bought I can scrap together some trinkets to buy them a toy or two. They deserve that much.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Okay. He liked this one!

"Sweet thing, when I'm frozen hard enough to look like an old man, I guarantee you'll be the first to know about it. I might even have to come back and sweep you off your feet...or if you prefer, I could do that bit now?"

He grinned. It was lovely to have company. Having someone around he could do a little verbal sparring with was perhaps the one pleasure he genuinely missed when he was between trading stops. Having nearly thirty people would be fantastic. Besides, he never really meant any offence by it.

"Zurna? Is there anything this food of yours is missing? I'd be a wretched guest if I just turned up and ate you out of house and home without contributing something."

One of the twins - the bolder one - left off her frantic whirlwind of joy for a minute and indignantly chirped. "More CANDY!"

Sasha laughed.

"Oh. you two fine ladies spotted that, did you? I'll have to ask your mama and papa first, but maybe, if you're very good and finish everything else you're given...maybe then, there might be some."

GoblinFae

Zurna sent Sasha a beaming smile. 'Now that kind of generosity, I haven't seen in a long time.' She handed him a bowl filled to the brim with sweet-smelling stew. "The only thing this food needs is good company to share it. Do you think you can help us with that?"

Aliyah eagerly danced around at the idea of getting candy after her meal while Cara, infected by her twin's enthusiasm joined in the bouncing. "If I didn't no better I would say you two have already been in the sweets," a voice called from the doorway.

"Papa!" the girls sequealed, running to embrace the wiry man. Laughing, he pulled them close and lifted them towards the high ceiling. "What have you done to my daughters, sister?" he teased.

Zurna rolled her eyes, poining the cooking spoon at him. "The youngest of my brothers, Yotar," she introduced to her guest. "Yotar, this is Sasha. He will be our guest tonight.

Yotar raised a brow in amusment. "Oh? Your guest?" Zurna's eyes widened in realization. "Not like that you idiot!" she cried, thwacking the taller boy on the head with the spoon. "Go eat!"

She shook her head, shrugging her shoulders in apology. "I warned you about my brothers. I guess we're just lucky the triplets are out on the boats today. Those three can take even the most innocent thing and turn it into something very much, not so."

Smiling, she finally poured herself a bowl and sat down on a mile of furs. "So Sasha, what made you chose this line of business?" Zurna looked over at him curiously, blowing on her spoonful of soup to cool it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"Honestly? I got bored of sitting inside all winter, and I know that people up here sometimes need things to get through the year that we can't make. Connlaoth sometimes needs reminding that there are people up here too, not just big scary monsters."

He shrugged. It was hard to explain exactly why, and he was too hungry to really find the words. This soup was awesome, too. It was all very distracting.

"So that's what I do. It has a few perks. Sometimes I meet pretty girls who bring me home to meet the family."

GoblinFae

"Pretty girls? Who are you kidding Sasha? This is the tundra, there are no pretty girls around here." Zurna snickered slightly, trying to cover it up and failing. Instead she gave in and laughed, shaking her head. "Can't say I blame you about the winters though. They can be quite brutal. Although, I think they are much better than the summers. All the lost travelers seem to come up here then and expect it to be warm."

She rolled her eyes in slight aggravation before taking a bit of food. "You must have seen many things in your travels. What is so fascinating about Connloath? My sister-in-law is from there but she treats me like I'm troglodyte with no understanding of what the world beyond Hyoite is like. Of course, we are not going to admit that this is not far from the truth." Zurna winked at him playfully, stage whispering the last part.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]