Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Return for Resupply

Started by Anonymous, December 27, 2011, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Brynmor had ventured out of the waste that most people viewed the tundra to be, not realizing the beauty that not only the snow brought, but that which lay just below the surface, because he was as very rarely was the case, low on supplies. It had become almost a yearly journey, spending most of the year out in the tundra, and venturing into town once or twice a year both to check up on the area, and to gather things he had run low on, and trade away things he no longer needed.

This particular trip, he had no need of resupply, but wanted to both survey the area to make sure all was working as it should, and to check for those newly born or just raised to maturity, who may or may not be interested following in the druidic path.

His slow and meandering steps led in no particular direction, save vaguely towards the center of town as he wove in and out of the spaces between houses, peering through doorways at startled occupants, then moving on to the next house, or to a random pile of snow, pushed aside for ease of travel, checking for signs of troubled life, or the sad lack thereof. His path, to an outsider, unused to the workings of his mind, or the sight of him wandering about, would have almost said he appeared to be drunk.

GoblinFae

From the top of a frozen snowbank, Zurna watched the weaving figure below in amusement. The stranger, whoever he was, reminded her very much of the time she and her brothers had gotten into their father's "medicinal purposes only" crate. They had acted like fools running around hooting and hollering in the middle of a blizzard. They had paid dearly for the silliness as well. Two weeks of the flu and nearly a year of extra chores. Zurna smiled in memory. 'That was the year when nobody was able find food and we had twice our normal catch. I don't think mom has ever worked us all as hard as then since.'

A familiar shriek up ahead drew Zurna's attention back to the present. Apparently the drunken stranger had frightened her sister-in-law and her twin nieces. 'So much for not having to deal with Sonia ' she thought hoping down the bank and towards the scene of commotion.

From what she could see, Sonia was furious. 'Not that it takes much to bring that about,' Zurna thought snidely. Her sister-in-law was screaming at the stranger at the top of her lungs as if he had murdered her. The twin girls smiled upon seeing their aunt's approach, the more outgoing of the two running up to take her hand. The shy one continued to cling to her mother's skirts.

"Aunt Sir, why is mama mad at that man?" the extroverted one asked.
"I don't know, Cara. Why don't we go find out?" Zurna suggested, her eyes intently watching the weaving man being followed by her screaming harpy of a sister-in-law.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

After peering into one of the houses, a woman follows him out and begins to shriek at him, much like he had just stabbed one of her children or some such thing, which was odd, considering just his head had entered the house, and only for a brief moment, at that. For several moments, he continued to poke into snowbanks, searching for something that only he knew, before turning towards the shrieking woman.

"Hello madame, what can I do for you?" he asked, seemingly oblivious to the volume of her shrieks, and obviously not bothering to attempt to understand their contents. "You seem overwrought. Do you need assistance?" His voice is crystal clear, if containing a small accent, belying the presence of alcohol in his system.

He notes the approach of bystanders of varying ages, and conceals an inward sigh, thinking of all the ground he could have covered, had he gone a different route through town than this one, and resolves to himself to be patient with the lady.

GoblinFae

"Enough Sonia!" Zurna barked. Taking her sister-in-law's wrist in her own she pulled the screaming woman aside and ordered her home. "I'll take the girls home, just go. You are making a scene." With a huff Sonia grabbed her things from inside and headed home to the family tents just outside "town."

Turning back to the stranger, Zurna at last addressed him. "Please forgive her. I'm afraid she is newer to these parts and does not take well to strangers yet. Is there some way I can help you sir? You seem to be looking for something?" she more asked then stated, eying the man warily again. Her arms around the twins' shoulders tightened ever so slightly on them. 'He may seem harmless, but I'm not taking any chances. Even a drunk can cause a lot of damage.'

"I live around this area, I can point you in the right direction to whatever it is you need. Food, drink, bed, supplies, you name it, I can lead you to it," she offered.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Anonymous

Brynmor watched as the new woman shushed and removed the other from the area, and continued to gaze at her calmly as she turned and addressed him. "Thank you for the consideration, young lady. However, I am just checking to see that Hyoite has not upset the natural balance of things. If you believe you can help me with that, then I would be glad of the assistance."

Continuing in his role as observer, his expression remained unchanged as she pulled the younger generation closer to herself, as if frightened of what he might do. It was mildly saddening to see that even way out here, where the constant harsh conditions made living difficult, there could still be fear of random brutality, even from old men.

GoblinFae

"Balance? I'm afraid I don't understand. What do you mean?" She asked tilting her head to the side like a puppy. Zurna's fingers absentmindedly caressed Cara's head, playing with her dark brown hair. The other twin, Aliyah, moved closer to her aunt, tugging on her cloak. Indulging the shy child, Zurna knelt down to hear what the sweet girl wanted.

"Aunt Z, who is that man? Why does he act all funny?" the girl whispered loudly, closely watching the elder gentleman.
"I don't know Ali, why don't you introduce yourself and find out," she encouraged.

Cautiously the little girl left the safety of her aunt's arms and stepped in front of the man. "I'm Aliyah and that's my sister Cara and my daddy's sister, Sir. Who are you?" Having completed her mission the girl quickly ran back hiding underneath Zurna's cloak. "Scaredy deer!" Cara yelled at her sister.
"Girls!" Zurna barked. "Enough, you are being rude. Cara apologize to your sister." Turning her attention finally back to the stranger, she also apologized for her family's rudeness. "I'm Zurna by the way."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

He is about to reply to the older girls question, when one of the youngsters runs in front of him and blurts out a barrage of words, before running back to where she started. A small altercation occurs, which makes him feel like quite the old man, seeing as he never had the opportunity to do that, even way back when he was a child.

Lifting a gloved hand to scratch at the skin of his head, near his receding hairline, he replies slowly to the small girls barrage of words. "Hello Aliyah, hello Cara, hello Zurna. My name is Brynmor." In the middle of his short speech, his head tracks to the side, and he continues to talk to them as he walks off, peering into the doorway of another household, before returning to his place in front of them, all the while continuing as if nothing had happened.

Remembering her words, his head jerks up, meeting her eyes, and he replies with "Apologies. I was distracted. I am just making sure that everything here is roughly the same as it was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year..." His voice trails off and he mumbles for a few moments before shaking his head a little bit.

GoblinFae

'What a very strange man.' Zurna thought as she watched Brynmor wander off and return again. "What kinds of things are looking at to be the same and different? Perhaps we could help you. I mean I have lived here my whole life. I might be of more assistance to you. If anything I could prevent further episodes like that of my sister-in-law from occurring. Some people do not take too kindly to strangers poking around their business you see. You are kind of precieved as suspicious. Not of course, that I am saying that you are suspicious or that we should be suspicious of you. Or at least I don't know if we should be since we just met but-"

"Aunt Sir you're doing it again! You're hambling!"
Zurna paused looking down at Cara before giggling. "Rambling Cara, and thank you.

"We would be honored to assist you if you will have us Brynmor."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"You could say that I'm looking for life and death. Life where it should be, death as well. My primary concern is for Death or Life where it shouldn't be." Having finished his lecture, he considered the rest of her statement. "That's strange. It is good to meet you. Perhaps I have not been doing as good a job as I thought recently, as I don't remember ever meeting you before, and I have been doing this every year for longer than you have been alive. I would as such appreciate any help you could give."

"You or the children." he says, crouching slightly to get nearer their level, his head tilting to the side, life as new as theirs' fascinating to him, as always had been so, as he attempted to plumb the depths of what it meant to be alive.

GoblinFae

"We are glad to be of service, aren't we girls?" Looking down Zurna watched in amusement as Aliyah cowered further within the cloak and Cara decided to be bolder. Extroverted Cara walked right up to the man placing herself literally nose-to-nose with him. "Your eyes are really green," she stated before taking off skipping around the trio.

"What is the best way to be of help? Should we tell you who has been born and died within the past year? Or is there more to it than that?" Zurna asked feeling calmer around Brynmor than before. 'He's still a crazy old man, but at least he's harmless. I hope.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"Thank you Cara." He says calmly, before standing to continue his conversation with Zurna. "Such a list would be a good place to start, as my only other way of checking is by looking into houses, as you saw. And sometimes I forget who these people are." He chukles self depreciatingly, looking around. "At least the landscape hasn't changed since I lived here."

GoblinFae

"I can understand how that could be difficult. With most of us being nomadic, keeping track of us all must be very difficult for you. I'm impressed you even manage it. It is not task I would wish to regularly undertake. Perhaps it would be better if we headed to my home. It would be warmer there and you could sit down. My family would be happy to welcome you into our humble tent. If that does not work for you then I can come back and meet you here. I would just prefer to get the girls inside before they get sick. Summer is so deceptive here," she laughed.

"Cara come here! We're going home soon," she called out to the running child. "Stop that, you're going to get hurt and I'm going to get in trouble with your mama." Upon hearing mention of her mama the girl immediately stopped, looking around. Walking meticulously over to Brynmor she whispered conspiratorially to the old man, "you mustn't tell mama about the running. She yells a lot. Just like she yelled at you earlier. She's no fun when she yells. Her face turns all red and her eyes bug out. It reminds me of the toads that daddy catches for us sometimes," the girl chattered on. Pausing as she looked at Brynmor, Cara seemed to come to a descion. Nodding her head curtly she took his worn hand in her own and demanded that he come home with them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

"Alright Cara, I won't tell your mother." Smiling indulgently, he stands and lets her lead him over to the others. "I guess I am accompanying you to your family's tent. Thank you for your generous offer. It is not often that I get to simply sit and relax indoors."

He looks down at the other little girl. "Are you ok over there, Aliyah? Would you like to hold my other hand? I might have something for the two of you, if you want it later, when we're at your home." He wants to make friends with the screaming lady from before, and the best way to do that is always through the children. He happens to have some small stone carvings he's done while walking in his pack, that he intended to give away when he got here, and what better recipients than some children?

GoblinFae

"It is our pleasure, Brynmor. Isn't that right Aliyah?" Aliyah continued her hiding behind her aunt. "Come on Aliyah. It's alright, you can trust him," Zurned coaxed. Slowly the girl emerged from her hiding place and cautiously took his hand. But, she refused to let go of her aunt's hand as well.

"How did you get started in this research Brynmor? I have never heard of it's ilk before. Of all places why did you chose the tundra? Wouldn't population statistics be better conducted in large cities like Arca?" Zurna asked, making conversation as the four walked along home.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Taking Aliyah's hand gently, he talked to Zurna over the little girl's head. "Ah. I see I have not explained myself clearly enough. I am not conducting population statistics research. I am making sure the balance of life and death in the area is as it should be. I am a High Druid of na Talun, and this is my area of expertise, since I grew up here long ago."

He gives the girls hands gentle squeezes from time to time, to let them know he's not ignoring them, even though he's only talking to Zurna.

GoblinFae

Blushing, Zurna apologized for being silly and not understanding. "A druid? I've heard of them but, you mean they actually exist? I thought they were just stories," Zurna looked at him in awe. The stories from her youth were still as much a part of her as ever. To her the druids were a mysterious but wondrous group of people.

Her warmed as she watched the girls giggle and squeeze hands with Brynmor. "You're really good with children," she smiled.

She fell silent for awhile just watching and being in the moment. From up ahead she saw the rising smoke columns of her family's fires. Her peaceful moment was broken however, as she listened to Sonia beret Yotar. The closer to the huddling of tents, the more irritated Zurna became. The words were spoken quickly and angrily in Connlaothian. 'That means Sonia is really angry. Wonder what he did not to upset her.' She almost pitied her brother's fate until Sonia turned and caught sight of her. Then the barrage of accusing statements were being hurrled at her.

Ignoring her sister, she turned to Brynmore she introduced him to her home. My parents, my twenty-five brothers, their families, and I all live here together. Come, I'm sure there is still some food left on the fire," she beckoned gently.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

Brynmor walked with the three of them to their home, a series of tents with cookfires nearby, and rolled his eyes at the antics of the woman from before, now yelling in some other language that he could not understand, first at a man he assumed was her husband, then at the young woman walking with him, Zurna, he recalled after a short moment of thought.

Giving a nod to the man and woman, he turned to Zurna as she turned to him, and listened to her explanation. In response, one of his eyebrows rising to where his hairline might have been when he was younger (he couldn't quite recall), he said "Twenty-Five? That must have been an enjoyable childhood." In response to her becon, he held up one finger.

"Just a moment." Taking his bag off his back, he rummaged around in it for a few moments before pulling out two small figurines, one a representation of a polar bear, another of a seal. He then knelt down to the twins level and held them out. "One each."

GoblinFae

'My childhood was something, that's for sure,' she thought remember the good times and the bad.

She paused, curiously looking back to see what was holding Brynmor up and smiled warmly. Her eyes lit in wonder at seeing the beautifully carved figurines that her nieces were being gifted. Each girl thanked him kindly; shy Aliyah even kissed his cheek before running to hide behind Zurna. "Come on Ali, let's go show mommy and daddy!" Cara beckoned excitedly.

Zurna bowed her head in thanks to Brynmor. No words could be said to express all that she felt like saying. But, the happy moment was not to last. Sonia's screeching tones once more rang out, this time against the girls. "Where did you get those?" When the girls pointed behind them to Brynmor, Zurna saw the rage in the woman's eyes. Snatching the carvings from the twins, she threw them as far away from them as she could. "You stay away from that man! You hear me?" she screamed at the girls, making them cry as she pushed them inside.

Zurna was helpless to it all as it happened in matter of seconds. She watched her brother turn away cowed and follow his daughters inside. 'Coward,' she accused. 'You should not stand for this!' Sonia angrily made her way towards the lone two as her other brothers began peaking their heads from inside the tents. Culturally, they would not interfere and neither should she. It was not her place to interfere unless she could draw the blame to herself.

Steeling herself, Zurna stepped into Sonia's path. "You are disrespecting are elder guest, Sonia. It was I that invited him here." Any moment now things were going to get bloody. Zurna just hoped that did not mean literally.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Anonymous

His eyebrow rose even further in response to the woman hurling his carvings so far into a snowbank, and he began to walk unerringly in the direction she threw them. Easily, he found the jangling wrongness of the obsidian amongst the granite shelves in the area, and then he picked them up, dusted them off, and pocketed them, and started walking back in the direction of the tents. Due to this, he missed much of the interplay between members of the family.

When he turned back in their direction, he saw the unpleasant woman striding towards him as if on the warpath, and his young acquaintance Zurna stepping in the way. He then began to move faster, steeling himself for the wrath of an ignorant and foolish young woman, too secure in her life to know that there are higher things to be concerned about.

GoblinFae

Zurna had been expecting an outburst from Sonia, but not the physical one she received. Her sister-in-law was a former Connloathian nobleman's daughter before she had been disowned and chased out for being a magic-user. She was a constant thorn in Zurna's side as she commanded and demanded without ever helping. She always expected things to be done for her, and complained when they were not up to her standards.

Sonia had always preferred to resort to verbal insults and berating rather than dirty her hands. If that did not work then petty magic attacks would plague Zurna. A glove would be missing, an arrow would not fly straight, a crate would trip her up, Zurna was used to Sonia's childish antics. Up until now she had for the most part dealt with it.

For Sonia to grab Zurna in a choke-hold meant she was beyond furious; she was out to kill. Shock paralyzed Zurna into place, wasting life-dependent seconds of her limited air supply. When she could finally think semi-coherently she let herself go limp, forcing Sonia off-balance. Together the pair dropped to the ground clawing and grappling for a better grip. Realizing she was not going to win against her stronger opponent, Sonia resorted to dirty tricks. She used her magic to lock Zurna's limbs, rendering her efforts useless.

Pure terror warred within the chocking girl. With her body no longer obeying her commands she had no hope for survival. Even if her brothers came to defend her they would be too late. A tear escaped her as her vision turned black and she thought, 'She always wins.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]