Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stuck in the Snow... and Lost

Started by stelmarisa, December 29, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

"Oh no, I'm not offended at all!" Kaven rushed to reassure the girl as she moved away from him, sensing that his over-keen passion had shocked her, perhaps. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so vocal about it, but as you can probably tell it's something that I'm very passionate about."

As Zurna returned to his side, Kaven cast a swift, but close, look at her face. She was obviously upset, and he felt awful about it. Taking the stew with a warm smile, he reached out and put one hand on hers, gently. As he continued to speak, more softly this time, he squeezed her hand.

"I suppose - my home village was very open and used to magic of all kinds - not that this is really magic. Dreamweaving is rare, but not totally unheard of, and once I'd proved my skills I was quickly accepted as true." He hesitated, then smiled at her. "Perhaps I will get the chance to demonstrate to you, while I am up here."

GoblinFae

Zurna's eyes widened and face flushed as he touched her hand. The blush only deepened as he squeezed her hand and spoke to her softly. 'Thank goodness it's dark in here. If he saw me blushing like a drunkard I think I would kill myself.'

"Maybe you will," she replied. "Although I hope not to understand from firsthand experience. I could scar you for life with what resides up here," she joked pointing to her head. Inside though she saw fire and blood. 'Best leave the demons of the past where they belong, buried and dead.'

"Are the dreams you weave person specific or do you just give a general dream?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

stelmarisa

He smiled wryly at her joke. "I've seen worse, trust me. You come to learn that no matter how somebody seems on the outside, you can never guess what's inside their mind. Anyway," he said, becoming less serious. "Dark thoughts and dark dreams rarely make a dark mind, and almost never a dark person. Whatever's up there," he tapped her head lightly, gently, "I'm sure you're a perfectly lovely girl."

"They're... person specific, I suppose. Or  a more fitting description would be situation specific. Of course I sit up with the person that I'm working with, so I can change and adapt it all the time."

GoblinFae

She smiled softly at his words. "Thank you. You are too kind." She opened her mouth to continue when a net flew and landed on her head.

"Got you!" yelled the twins from the hiding places.
"Did you finish your chores?" she asked trying to untangle herself. The more she struggle, the worse it got.
"Aunt Z we fed the animals, cleaned up our beds, and helped mama with the moss! Can we go pet the horsey now?" said one twin.
"You look silly," the other giggled at Zurna.

Zurna looked to Kaven, her face a desperate plea for help. "The two of them are going to be the death of me," she muttered trying harder to get out of the net. "What did you two do? I'm worse than a fish in this thing!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven smiled in spite of himself, trying not to let Zurna see his mouth twitch as he reached out to help her. "I'm not going to be much use I'm afraid!" he exclaimed, as he succeeeded only in tangling his own wrist in the net. He turned to the twins. "If your aunt says it's okay, you can go and pet Equi. I'm sure he will like the attention."

Looking back to Zurna, he sighed, reaching his tangled wrists up to her hair, to try and free it. "How do these things work?! It's like some kind of magic!" He laughed, struggling to distangle both himself and Zurna, now.

GoblinFae

She laughed and rolled her eyes as Kaven managed to get his hand caught. "Don't move anymore. You'll make it worse," she giggled. Slowly and carefully she began to untangle the two of them. Her eyes stared intently, unblinking as she concentrated on each knot and tangle.

She finally managed to get herself free except for her hand which had further entangled Kaven's. Out of frustration she pulled out her hunting knife and just cut them out of the last little bit. "You two are going to get me in trouble," she glared at the twins. "Go pet the pony, just mind his hooves and don't startle him!"

Zurna took Kaven's hands in her own. "I didn't cut you did I?" she asked now looking his hand over carefully. 'Hiss hand is so much bigger than mine,' she thought blushing again. 'It feels nice, warm.'

"Oh, I'm sorry!" she exclaimed when she realized she was still holding his hand. But, she still did not let go.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven  tried to sit perfectly still, letting Zurna's skilled hands free them both from the net. "You understand the way this rope works far better than I ever could," he commented, full of admiration as she worked on the tangles. He flinched slightly as she cut the rope, feeling a momentary flash of steel on his palm, but ignored it as she spoke to the twins, watching her stern expression with some amusement.

"Oh... a little..." he pulled his thoughts back to the real world, glancing down as she took his hand, which now had a tiny trickle of blood attempting to seep out of the cut. "It's only a scratch, though. Goodness knows what I would have done to us both if I'd tried to cut us out!" he joked, putting his other hand on hers to reassure her.

GoblinFae

"Zurna Nali! What do you think you are doing, cutting that net!" Zurna flinched slightly at her mother's voice. Seeing the cut on Kaven's hand, Minali added, "and make that boy some healing tea. I won't have him getting sick on us."

"Yes mother," she groaned. "I warned you about how wild mama's got," she winked to him. Efficiently, she made about making the tea. When it was ready she gave Kaven one cup and kept one for herself. The tea settled into her stomach sending out a wave of warmth that spread outward until she felt as if she had her own fireplace residing within her.

Taking out a bone needle, Zurna began the tiring task of repairing the ruined net. "So tell me Kaven, if you do not have dreamweaving business up here, then what do you plan on doing here in Hyoite? You can't have expected to wander around in the snow for forever. Poor Equi would have knocked some sense into you by then I think." She winked, already back to her playful demeanor.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven took the cup, wiping away the droplet of blood absentmindedly. "Thank you." Cupping the tea between his hands he sipped at it slowly, watching Zurna work. The fine art of making and repairing things with his hands had never been one that he could master - although his hands were good at healing people, they always seemed worse than useless when dealing with inanimate objects.

"Well partly, I suppose, I might find some work up here. Quite often there are people I can help who would never have thought to seek a dreamweaver, or who are just interested in finding out about the art. And... it's about as far away from La'marri as it is possible for one to get, let alone being as different from the place. And I desperately needed a change of scenery. I suppose, as well... I'm looking for some answers of my own."

He stopped, a flush spreading across his cheeks as he confessed.

GoblinFae

"Then answers you shall find," she said smiling to him. "This land has a way about it. If you ever find yourself getting confused with life, or who you are, or what you want, then just take a step outside the door and walk. Walk and walk until you stop thinking. Then, you will know the answer to what you seek. You see, it is the heart the always knows the right answer, but sometimes we let it get drowned out by our own minds, our desires and expectations. The tundra doesn't have that. It's cold and cruel yet beautiful. It teaches us a lot about ourselves, we just need to know how to listen."

Zurna looked back down. 'Excellent way to scare him, Z.'

"Well, if you don't think it too bold of me, I would like it if you stayed with us while you are here. I am sure it would beat freezing outside talking your poor pony's ear off. We are a large family, we could use help, especially as some of us age," she sad lowering her voice and looking towards the elders on the other side of the tent. "I am sure we could find some way to barter services, that is if you are willing."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven nodded slowly as Zurna spoke, staring into the fire thoughtfully. Maybe she had a good point... perhaps the atmosphere up here would be good for him, at last. He glanced up as she finished speaking, and smiled.

"Well, if your family would find that acceptable, then yes, I'd like to stay... I don't know where I was planning on sleeping or anything, really. And Equi would certainly benefit from being in the warm." He paused. "Of course, I wouldn't ask for anything, just somewhere to shelter - I'd try not to be an inconvenience at all. But I'll help in any way that I can. I don't have much in the way of skills that might be useful here, I'm afraid - but I'll do my best."

GoblinFae

"You would be of no inconvenience to us. Our home is always open to those who seek refuge within it. Do not worry about what talents you do or do not have. Time always shows us what we are meant to do when we are meant to do it. I am sure that your dream-weaving made itself known when it was deemed necessary. Worst comes to worst you can follow me around and keep my little monsters out of trouble," she told him turning the conversation more lighthearted again.

"For now just relax, tonight you are our guest. Tomorrow you can worry about helping us. Although," she said thoughtfully, "perhaps you could be of some help." Her eyes twinkled in the firelight. "If you could, I need an extra pair of hands for carding wool. The twins either refuse to sit still long enough or get it tangled. All you have to do is hold the wool rings between around your hands and keep it from falling or tangling while I roll it into skeins. You don't have to if you don't want to though."

Zurna pulled out a woven basket behind her and began lifting up one of the wool rings. "We could share stories too. I am sure there is much of your homeland that I have not heard of. I always love a good story! Manaia knows I have enough tales of my brothers' "adventures" to last several life times."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven laughed, picturing himself trying to corral the small children, and reached out his hands for the wool ring. Holding it uncertainly between both of his hands, he smiled at Zurna. "Like this?"

"I'd like that - sharing stories. Where I come from is such a small place, it seems as if we never get many stories. Although so many people pass through, I'm sure there are plenty!" He laughed again, thinking fondly of his home village. "Do all of your brothers still live in this area?"

GoblinFae

Zurna laughed and assisted him in holding it better. Her fingers lingered a bit as they brushed against his warm flesh. Slowly, she pulled away and began carding the wool. 'He has a kind heart. I like that about him. I wonder how long he will stay.'

"My brothers? Well I guess relatively speaking they do. In the spring and summer they tend to go their own ways, with their own families. As the families get older they tend to return to us though, like my eldest brothers. We take care of each other. Otherwise, we tend to try to spread. Twenty-six head families with grand and great-grand generations in the eldest ones takes a toll on the land. By separating we do better at feeding and caring for us all. I do not see much of my middle brothers and their families. This is why each family gathering is so important to us. You don't know which one will be the last, or the first for some," she added smiling.

"Last year was the first one for the twins. We found that I have many more nieces and nephews now. I love children, but that many at one time is a lot. In many ways I am the favored aunt. I do not know if that is because I am one of the youngest or because I am the only direct daughter. Do you like children Kaven? I find them the best storytellers. Even those that travel the caravan routes do not tell things as beautifully or as artfully as them. There is something about that childlike innocence that makes things," she waved her hands openly.

"I cannot explain," she laughed shaking her head. "Now I believe as the guest you should tell the first story. Perhaps something of your childhood? Or whatever comes to mind. I am not a picky audience."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven sat cross-legged and quiet, smiling as Zurna talked to him, and trying to imagine what it would be like to have such a big family. "I'll bet it is because you are so fun - you seem to have such a way of bringing laughter into a conversation." He said warmly, in response to her comment about being a favourite aunt. "In a way, you remind me of my sister. She is constantly laughing, and dancing around. She brings joy to the whole company, wherever she is." He smiled fondly, thinking of his beloved sister before he moved on. "I do like children, yes - they are so honest ... not that that is always a blessing!"

He moved toward her slightly, watching intently as she worked the wool, and tried to think of a story. "Well, speaking of my sister, you should have seen her when my dreamweaving skills first made themselves known. I was fairly young - much too young to control it - but our parents and the elders of the village knew that it was an important gift. My sister was much younger, still a small child, and she couldn't understand why suddenly, I was getting so much attention." He grinned. "So one day, when a gathering was being held at our hut, to discuss my talent, she snapped. She packed up all her worldly belongings - two dresses, a toy doll, and my favourite game - and marched out into the room, announcing that she was leaving home until we paid attention to her again!" He laughed, properly now. "Of course, there was no where she could go. She took our pet dog, and went to sit in the garden of her friends' house until sunset... when my parents went to fetch her home. She'd completely forgotten about running away, and came home as though nothing had happened!"

GoblinFae

Zurna laughed as Kaven told his tale. "Your sister does sound like me. When I was younger I got very mad at being told I could not join my brothers because I was a girl. Like now I had very long hair, that I was quite proud of. Yotar, my "twin" as it were, told me that if I cut my hair like boy I could play with the boys."

"And she did," Zurna's mother interrupted. "She cut all of her hair off right down to the wick."
"And you wouldn't let me outside for two months for that," Zurna rejoined grumpily.

Minali ruffled her daughter's hair, smiling at their guest. "Zurna is our special one. We prayed for a daughter and the sea gave her to us." The older woman bent low to kiss her only daughter's cheek. Her movements were slowed with age but that did not stop her.

"Mother! That is not something you go around telling people," Zurna cried flushing in embarrassment.
Her mother just laughed before making her way back to her seat.

"If you need something just ask Zurna. She will take care of your needs, as long as you are our guest her," she told Kaven. Zurna continued to stew, her face now a dark red.

"Tell me Kaven, is your mother as mortifying as mine?" she asked, mock-glaring towards the laughing elders.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven laughed heartily at the story, eyeing Zurna's hair. "Well I'm glad you've grown it now! The long hair very much suits you... I'm not so sure about a bald look!" He grinned at her, nodding at her mother as he was spoken to. "Thank you, ma'am."

Seeing Zurna still embarassed, he reached out a hand to her shoulder, resting it there gently. "I think our elders feel that they have earned the right to mortify us at all opportunities!" He squeezed her shoulder before returning to his task of holding the wool. "My mother is indeed skilled at doing so... when I was younger, she managed to embarass me in front of every pretty girl that passed through the village!"

GoblinFae

A warm tingling remained long after Kaven's hand had left her. Zurna could not help but feel that she wanted the hand to remain. 'Zurna Nali! Control yourself, you are better than some winter harlot looking for a skin to warm up under! He is just being kind and here you are thinking up ways to make him stay. He's not interested in you anyway,' she tried to reason.

"I wouldn't know if my mother shares that same quality. Anytime a man has had a chance at meeting her, my brother's beat her to it." Leaning forward she added quietly, "I'm actually surprised they haven't started on you yet. Best be wary of them. The triplets are the worst," she told him winking.

A blast of cold air ran through the tent as the wind-flushed faces of Zurna's twin nieces charged in. "Bedtime you two," Zurna called looking over to them. Finishing up her skein, she thanked Kaven and placed it back in her basket. "Care to help wrangle some monsters?" she asked him moving to chase and corner one of the laughing twins.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

"I'll be on the lookout for attacks in the night!" Kaven laughed as Zurna warned him of her brothers. "Hopefully I can convince them that my intentions are honourable... whether they are or not!" He winked at Zurna playfully, before turning as the twins rushed in.

"Here!" He corralled the other twin, gently wrestling the giggling child. "Did you have fun with the pony?" He asked, taking her hand to lead her over to Zurna. "I hope you didn't get him too excited before bed!" He released the child and smiled at Zurna. "Now, listen to your aunt... I believe it's bedtime for you, too."

GoblinFae

Having at last caught the giddy duo, Zurna finally put them to bed. She cared for them deeply, her mothering qualities shining through as she tucked them into their shared furs snugly. Charismatically. she told them two stories, lulling them to sleep with her rising and falling voice.

Smiling, she kissed their brows and rose to move to the other side of the fire. As she had told her stories the elders and other family members had settled down, returning to their own tents. The only ones remaining besides Zurna, were the twins, Zurna's parents and Kaven.

'He must be tired,' she realized suddenly. 'I better make him up a bed, or he is going to be cold.' Pulling out a pile of furs she began to make beds next to each other for both herself and Kaven. "Do you think you will be warm enough there?" she asked as she placed his furs by the fire. "I can add more blankets if you want. We keep the fire going all night, so you it won't go out and make you cold. But, sometimes there can be a draft."

She turned her back to him so he wouldn't see her embarrassment. 'How could he ever find comfort here. I'm sure he is used to much better things. A real bed with real blankets. I hope this is alright though. This is the best I can offer.' Her shoulders drooped the more she thought about it.

Zurna settled down onto her bed pulling the covers onto her lap. "I do not know how tired you are. We can stay up and talk some more if you like? I'm not chasing you to bed like the little ones," she told him. She tried to smile but, her concern over his comfort turned it into a pathetic effort.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]