Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stuck in the Snow... and Lost

Started by stelmarisa, December 29, 2011, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

Kaven had watched the last scenes as though through a darkened glass, as he was less and less a part of Zurna's dreaming. He felt himself drifting away from the connection as Zurna continued falling through her memories. Fighting to stay connected, he continued to nudge at her, hoping against hope that she could feel it, somewhere.

As she finally broke through, awakening, the connection severed and the soft glow dimmed, then faded away entirely. Kaven's fingers relaxed against Zurna's skin, his arms feeling heavy and useless against her. His eyes were still open, glassy and unseeing, whilst Zurna comforted herself - he was still lost in the swirling world of the subconscious, pulling together the strength to return to a normal state.

Finally, with a gasp, he awoke, involuntarily clutching Zurna's body tighter to him as he did. It had been a long time since he had been witness to another's dream, and even longer since he had seen one so intense. Sapped of a lot of his strength, he was unable to speak for several moments, shaking slightly until his mind caught back up with his body. As he did, he reached for Zurna, gently turning her face towards his, and kissed her forehead hard.

"Oh, Zurna..." he murmured, repeating the kiss.

GoblinFae

With lowered eyes, Zurna allowed her face to be turned. She expected to be yelled at, to be hit, or spat on. She never expected his tender touch or his fierce kisses. While the first kiss shocked her, it was the second that broke her waning strength.

Zurna turned in his lap, slipping her arms under his coat and around his back to cling to him desperately. She rested her head in the hollow of his throat as tears began to race down her face. Her body continued to shake as she fought full-blown sobbing. "It's never been like this before," she bemoaned. "It has always been fragments of the actual memory. I have never..." Zurna allowed herself to trail off, refusing to share her horrors.

'He doesn't need to know what I see or what I just felt. It is better to not give him any more reason to hate me. I should let go.' Despite her mind telling her to, Zurna could not make her body obey. For better or worse, she was staying in Kaven's lap for now. 'Why do I feel so safe here, in a stranger's arms no less. I have known him less than a day and look at me. I'm all over him. What kind of girl am I?'

"I'm sorry Kaven," she apologized, beginning to loosen her grip. "I should probably get off your lap now.I wouldn't want to be inappropriate. I'm sure I have scared you enough in the past day and a half as it is." Moving slowly, Zurna began to prepare herself to stand. 'Why do I have a strong inkling that this going to be very painful?'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

stelmarisa

Fully awake now, Kaven held Zurna tightly as she cried, rocking her back and forth. "Shhh...." he soothed, stroking her hair rhythmically and waiting for her to calm down. He didn't speak, instead allowing her to work out her sorrow.

Inside, he was conflicted. Zurna obviously didn't want to share what she had seen. She doesn't know that I was there too, seeing it with her he mused. Should I tell her? He was certain that talking through her memories would help Zurna, even if she didn't want him to intervene - but how could he encourage her to speak up?

As she began to move he looked up. Catching hold of her wrists, he held them gently, pulling her back towards him. "Don't worry, Zurna. You are never inappropriate, and you have never scared me." He held out his arms, motioning her to return to him, and took the plunge.

"Talk to me... who was he, Zurna?"

GoblinFae

She looked down at her wrists caught in his gentle grip. 'Funny,' she thought being tugged back down. 'Any other man and I would have hit them as hard as I could for this. But,' her eyes locked onto his own, 'he's different.'

"He?" Her voice quivered and her eyes widened in fear. "He who?" Zurna's body tensed; her hands clenched forming white knuckles and her shoulders went up to her ears as she hunched in on herself. She continued to look up at him but, more like a wild animal caught in a trap than as a human.

'How does he know? What happened while I was dreaming? Oh Manaia! What did I say? What did I do?' A sound of bells jingling slightly reverberated through her head follow by soft laughter. 'Get out of my head Ezra!' The laughter continued.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

stelmarisa

((Sorry it's taken me a long time to reply! I went for a walk in the snow))

Eyes pained, Kaven instantly regretted asking the question as Zurna tensed up. He released her wrists after a few moments and reached up to cradle her face in his hands - ever so gently.

"I saw, Zurna," he said softly. "I saw him." He stroked her cheek with one thumb as he continued speaking. "Please tell me, maybe I can help. You are always safe with me."

GoblinFae

(OOC: So jealous of your snow -.-)

"You saw?" she asked in a fearful whisper. Her heart beat fast against her breast and her breaths were quick and short. Zurna shuttered her eyes as if by closing them she could close the door on ever being asked the question.

"Ezra," she said defeated. "His name was Ezra." She sighed, bringing her gaze back up to Kaven's. "He's been dead for nearly ten years." Zurna's eyes prickled but, no tears would fall. Her eyes were dry from the first years of crying. There were no more tears left to shed.

She rushed him, leaning in and hugging him tightly. 'Why do I trust him so much? I have never spoken of that day. Yet, he. Of all the people I know and love, it is a stranger I trust enough to share the truth.' She shudder slightly, clinging closer. "Your fault," the memory's poison words whispered through her mind.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

He nodded solemnly, arms wrapping tightly around her as she leaned in. He stayed quiet for a few minutes, giving Zurna time to collect herself and recover from her first admission. He was wary of pressing her - scared of pushing her too far and causing more damage. Step lightly, Kaven he reminded himself. This one is delicate, you stand the risk of hurting her more... and she is too special for you to ever forgive yourself if you do that. He started slightly at this last thought, one that had slipped into his mind subconsciously. Special? Well yes... she was. He smiled to himself and tightened his hold on Zurna, pulling her closer in to his warmth.

"He was your friend." That was more of a statement than a question, inferred from what he had seen. "Were you... with him when he died?" he asked cautiously, softly, unobtrusively.

GoblinFae

She hesitated before nodding. "I was a child," she said by way of admission. An memory of broken eggshells flooded her mind in a short burst. "We were young and I was foolish. I got him killed."

'I thought I was over this. Why does it feel like I am tearing the wound anew? I shouldn't talk about this. He wouldn't understand.' Zurna fell silent letting her thoughts swirl about her head. "He knows. He was there. He saw," the voice taunted.

"He wouldn't," her mind hissed back.

The cruel laughter rang out again. "Then how else does he know? How else can he not know if he did not invade your mind? If he did not violate your own sanctuary, how else does he know I am your friend? How Z? He calls himself a dreamweaver, he is nothing but a fraud! He used you! He tried to kill you!"

"You're wrong," she mumbled, squeezing her eyes shut. "I'm right and you know it. I'm only trying to protect you, Z. Don't you see what he is doing? He's trying to turn you into his little pet, his personal experiment. Don't let him, Z. Don't let him hurt you, kill you. Please? I'm your friend. I love you. I will always be with you." The voice continued to draw her in with its lies. Slowly but surely, Zurna was being dragged into believing the falsehoods. 'He does seem very interested in me. Who gets this friendly with a woman they have known less than a day?'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven felt sick to his stomach, feeling the negative energy radiating from Zurna. He didn't know what was happening inside her head, but he was getting the effects all the same. He shook his head, trying to clear the fuzzy sickness, and leaned back from Zurna to look her in the eye.

"Zurna... what is happening?" He asked softly. "What is it that torments you so? Will you let me try to excise your demons?" He wasn't even sure if she could hear, but he meant every word, wanting more and more to help Zurna.

"You don't need to suffer like this."

GoblinFae

"The only demon here is you," she hissed. Zurna gave Kaven a hard shove and jumped to her feet. Backing away she moved, placing the dwindling fire between them. "You said you never enter a mind without a permission. You entered mine didn't you? Didn't you! Don't try and deny it. How else could you know about Ezra?"

Zurna was lashing out, afraid and unsure she did not know how else to protect herself. "You are vile. You are disgusting. Stay away from me! This is your fault. I was fine before I met you. You did this to me. You caused the past to resurface and haunt me. Just stay away from me!" Her face displayed betrayal and her heart sank the more she spoke.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven fell back as he was shoved, landing hard on the ice. Scrambling to his feet he began to make a start towards Zurna, stopping as as she snapped at him. His face fell, eyes full of hurt as he gazed at her, her angry face almost unrecognisable to him.

"I..." he trailed off, biting back the rebuttal that first came to his mind. He sighed heavily, tears threatening at the corners of his eyes. "You're right," he conceded heavily, shoulders slumping. How could he have been so foolish? Led by a false sense of pride into betraying his own morals. Why did he think he could help her? She hadn't cared for him. He had been misled by her natural friendliness into thinking there was something there - even the ease with which he had connected with her had encouraged his delusion.

"I have. I have ruined everything for you, Zurna. Please, accept my apologies." Heart heavy, he turned away from her and slowly began to walk off, gazing straight ahead. He didn't let himself turn around, or look back, afraid of what he might see.

GoblinFae

Zurna was shocked. Disturbed by her own reaction and then Kaven's apologies. 'What have I done? How could I be so cruel?' While guilt set in, she refused to show it outwardly. 'This is his fault. He made the dreams appear!' she argued irrationally.

She let her angry gaze fall and kicked snow onto the fire, putting it out. "We should head back. I have wasted enough time fooling around," she muttered, picking up the bowls and cleaning them out with snow. Zurna was too upset to really pay attention to Kaven as she headed back to where they had left the peat moss.

Anger drove her onwards even as her heart bled for her choices. If she was harsh in the way she jerkily snatched up the bundles, she did not care. Carrying as much as she could, she marched her way back home. Yet, every step she took forward was like a heavy stone around her neck, weighing her down and crushing her spirit.

By the time she actually made it home she was a mess. Zurna was not known for her silence, however she ignored everyone even the twins when they tried to greet her and engage her in conversation. She pushed past them, dropping off her bundles and went off to do more chores around the camp.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

He had stopped in the snow, hands jammed deep in the pockets of his coat. He was surprised when Zurna spoke again, although he carefully made an effort not to show it. Why was she saying they should both head back? Can it be that she is forgiving me? he dared himself to hope for a moment, before arguing himself back down. No, of course not. She just doesn't want me to get lost out here - she's a good person. Not like me, he thought bitterly, following her at a distance. He kept his head down, staring at the snow beneath his feet. He had gathered up the remaining bundles, holding them carefully, even in his current blur of emotions.

He stopped as they reached the outskirts of the camp, not daring to follow her into the tent. A lump rose into his throat as he considered his options, torn between following her and making a break for it. I'm such a coward. Losing the battle, he ducked inside the livestock tent, placing his bundles on a mat at the entrance before rushing to Equi's side.

He sank down into the hay next to the gentle creature, who turned to nuzzle at Kaven's side as he leant into the pony's flank. "Oh, Equi, my friend... what have I done?" He moaned, face screwed up against the emotions. "I have made such a huge mistake... I only wanted to help, but how could I do such a thing to her?" he spoke bitterly, deeply angry at himself. "Now I have destroyed this friendship, and hurt a heart that was so good." A tear ran down his cheek and he brushed it away impatiently, feeling like a coward. "It is ruined, Equi. Everything is ruined," he choked out.

GoblinFae

Tarogato entered the livestock tent quietly and leaned with crossed arms against one of the supports, listening to the newcomer's words. "I highly doubt that is the truth. Nothing in this world is final. Everything can be salvaged. You just know how to change your outlook," he piped up. His was soothing timber, rising and falling in gentle waves like the sea.

"You must be Kaven. My mother spoke highly of you this morning." He shoved off, and moved over to sit beside Kaven in the hay. "Now, what do you think you have done that "ruins everything"? Z sure came back in a right sorry state. Mother's giving her the telling off of her life right now, which gives me the perfect opportunity to interrogate Z's new love interest," he teased. Tarogato gave Kaven a gentle elbow to the ribs before laying back in the sweet-smelling hay.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven jumped as Tarogato spoke behind him, having not realised that someone else was there. He stayed quiet as the newcomer talked, finding solace in the comforting voice and friendly words. Turning away from Equi to face Tarogato, he smiled wryly, and sighed.

"Love interest? I don't think so!" He said jokingly, before becoming more serious. "Zurna is justifiably furious with me - I have commited a grave mistake." He paused, unsure of how much Tarogato would know, or understand. "Zurna was trapped in a daze of some sort - she was suffering and dreaming of something dreadful. I-" he took a breath. "I used my talent to connect with her consciousness and see what she saw. I only meant to help, but I should never have invaded her privacy like that. She was so angry."

He broke off, agonising over his mistake.

GoblinFae

Tarogato snorted. "Z is like the sea from which she was birthed. You never know what will upset her, or what she is thinking." He sat up, looking at Kaven solemnly. "Dreaming?" He sighed, shaking his head slightly. "She still has the nightmares, after all this time."

He turned to look Kaven in the eye. Of all the siblings, Tarogato was the voice of reason, the encourager, the friend. He had always been the one the others went to for advice and comfort. "Listen to me. You tried to help. You had good intentions at heart. That is all that matters. If you didn't hurt her and you didn't damage her then she will get over it. Z isn't like most people you meet," he said sighing again.

A soft smile graced his features as he stared ahead of him. "Zurna was a gift from the gods to my family. She was not born of my mother's womb as the rest of us were. She does not always see things the way everyone else does. If anything, I think she is more angry at herself than at you. If what you say is true, and she was dreaming, then it means she still has not let go a very painful memory. Z has trouble getting close to people.

"She's very friendly, don't get me wrong," he started, holding out his hand and looking over to the other human. "But, she lost someone very dear to her when she was just a child. She doesn't trust easily with her heart anymore." Tarogato placed his own hand over his heart for emphasis. "She is afraid. No matter how old she is on the outside, she is still a little girl here," he said thumping his fist against his chest. "The best thing you can do for her, is show her you care. Don't let her scare you off. She's just afraid, and not of you, but of herself."

Smiling he clapped the other man on the shoulder. "I know that is a large burden to bare, but I like to think she's worth it." Tarogato's eyes seemed shine with an inner-knowingness. It was as if he could see the future and knew something he was not telling.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Kaven felt himself relaxing as Tarogato spoke, calming down from his distress. He appreciated this advice from an older man, one who knew Zurna, and who seemed to care about them both. Maybe this situation wasn't such a catastrophe as he had thought? Maybe - just maybe - he would have a chance at rectifying his mistakes and finding himself forgiven.

He found himself returning Tarogato's smile, although lost in this thoughts, he didn't notice the odd look in the other man's eyes. Perhaps... if I can only apologise... and make her see how sorry I truly am - perhaps she may forgive me, and I can leave here with some semblance of pride, at least. His mind was running on overdrive, as he tried to think of how to proceed.

He looked to Tarogato, hope shining in his eyes. "Perhaps... perhaps I should find her?" he ventured shyly, uncertainly.

GoblinFae

A high-pitched screeched broke the silence causing Tarogato to wince. "Perhaps you should wait until after supper to apologize. Z sounds about ready to rip some heads off and use them as buoy markers. Let's try and give you a fair chance first," he winked. 'I like this one. Pity he still has twenty-four other approvals to go through, not including Z's. Good gods woman,' he thought, startling at the next feminine shout, 'where did you learn to yell like that?'

"Come," he said getting to his feet. "You can hide with me until she settles down. If you stay here any longer she is bound to come in." He leaned in closely cupping a hand to his mouth as he whispered. "This is one of her favorite haunts. As soon as she is free of mother she will be here in a heartbeat."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

stelmarisa

Eyes wide as he heard the shrieking, Kaven also clambered to his feet, looking around him shiftily as Tarogato spoke. "Thank you for the offer... I think I will wait until later!" He followed the man out of the tent, pausing at the door to look back to Equi. "Psst... I was never here boy, okay?" He winked at the pony, and slipped out, hurrying after Zurna's brother. Hopefully later she will have calmed down, and we can talk...

~

A few hours later, Kaven was feeling much calmer. His gut-wrenching sorrow had lessened somewhat with the passing of time, and the work which he and Tarogato had been doing had helped to take his mind off the events of the morning. As it grew closer to dinner time and the time when he would surely see Zurna again, however, his guilt began to bubble up in him, making him anxious. He began to be distracted from his conversations with Tarogato, finding himself in his own head, trying to plan out what he would say.

Finally, it was time. As he headed towards the main tent, he held his head resolutely high, trying not to show his anxiety. At the tent's flap, he paused, swallowed once, then stepped inside. Eyes adjusting to the change in light, he stopped still just inside the doorway, gazing around him.

"Hello? ... Zurna?"

GoblinFae

Zurna had completed all her chores, gotten the reprimanding of the century, screamed her lungs out, and was feeling extremely depressed. 'He must hate me! I was so cruel to him. He was...he was just doing what he thought was best, even if he did violate my privacy,' she conceded, balancing the lies and the truth in her mind. She busied herself with the meal, another of her punishments for her sour mood.

She felt a cool draft from the doorway and turned to shoo the twins away when she realized who it was. She bowed slightly at the waist in greeting before turning back to the fire. "Dinner will be ready shortly. Sit," she motioned to the cushion, "you worked hard today." She made sure to keep her back to him. She did not want to see the look of hatred on his face. She did not want hear her heart scream again.

Stirring the food distractedly, Zurna kept quiet, contemplating what to do. She never noticed as one by one the other members of her family gathered and talked amongst themselves, the way Tarogato hovered close to Kaven and passed covert glances between the two, or even how close her hair came to being singed repeatedly.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]