Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ads

Started by Winters-Feather, November 15, 2012, 04:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

For real, though. Second time in the past two weeks to my knowledge of people making accounts and posting inappropriate ads. I'm assuming they're people, anyway. Or just really cleverly programmed bots.

Rhi/tally- This isn't really a fault of your own.  You've been taken care of it smoothly, lol. But it's weird to me how this is just happening now, as opposed to before.  Maybe because we switched softwares and they're finding their way through cracks? O.o

Xphy

Yeah, I'm having flashbacks to when they were spamming the wiki. Also it probably is a bot. Programmers have figure out how to bypass email confirmation a long time ago.

GoblinFae

The ones I have noticed so far...sorry if I miss I'm sure someone else will catch them

http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=13037
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=13032
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=13040
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=13015

You're right Xphy. I remember that too, even if it was looooong before I ever joined. >.< Curse of new formatting I guess.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

could be a raid of sorts...websites like 4chan plot raids on successful sites where all they do is spam ads that are an annoyance and the like

Winters-Feather

REally? Because, oh my gosh theres just been a raid O.o

AetherRose

4chan very rarely commits to a raid. Very. Rarely. They usually have to be extremely popular and have a hankering for pissing off 4chan directly. Plus, this site isn't popular enough to be on the radar, sorry to say. Anonymous is a vigilante group and wouldn't be involved in this. Many programmers are individual trolls who target specific sites that are somewhat small, just for bragging rights. Probably one of those.

And to wrap up any thoughts it may be a 4chan raid, they almost always end in the flooding of the server, especially since these forums have no post-limit countdown.  There's only like 3 or 4 accounts doing these ads.

Zane

meh I just said 4chan because I know that they have done raids in the past (WAS NOT TRYING TO INVOKE THE WRATH OF 4CHAN) and notice I said sites LIKE 4chan...didn't necessarily say it was 4chan anywho...it could be a programmers bot or heck even four insomniatic butfaces who have nothing better to do then attempt to annoy a self respecting site, regardless it is still a raid as the context of a raid is a person(s) spamming a site in an attempt to annoy or crash the site

Rhindeer

Yeah, looks like a couple bots just got through and decided to spam like the wind. |: They're doing it on RotE, too, and RotE is still using the old software. (And RotE got hit even worse.) Chances are, they're human spammer. |: Or just very clever bots.

...Because hoooly crap did they do a number on RotE. >___o If you want to cry, take a look. |: That is gonna be fun to clean.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

GoblinFae

,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Dreamwolf

A quick note, a friend of mine does computer software programming (he is always fixing my computer for me thank the gods) and he says programming an adbot to be able to get past basic security measures and even the numbers within pictures that a lot of sites use, is really easy, you just need to do some weird thing with its recognition program. Apparently its like teaching a monkey to use a typewriter, they know what to do, but they are only successful a handful of times...also my computer skills are apparently below that of the chimp his college computer team trained to play modern warfare...

A chimp really? ARE YOU TRYING TO CAUSE PLANET OF THE APES YOU IDIOTS!!! ahem...

AetherRose

Then again, humans are only right a handful of times on captchas. They're terrible, and there are significantly more effective setups.

Winters-Feather

ooh, lovely. here they go again, onlly this tme with slightly more classy ads... =_+

Dreamwolf

I have extra pitch forks and torches if you'd like to form a mob. What? You never know when you might have to join an angry mob! I should not have to explain mysel....wait what am I saying...right....