Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A lion, a Witch, and a Weasel

Started by tekraa, June 17, 2012, 02:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekraa

Atar took a drink, deeper than his last and gestured back to the swordsman, shooing the girl away from him politely.  Dark narrow eyes were focused on the child before him, the prodding poking and pulling unnerved him, he was an adept talent, not that he could not shield himself from the child, it would be a cold thing to do he thought. "Stop that."  He said, eyes clearly on Alberich.  The silence that had surrounded them moments before was sundered, ripped away by the child ministrations with careless ease.  Not intentional, no, he was clearly just experimenting with it.  He liked the child even more now, fearless that one.  "Grab hold of it and stop poking, you need to grasp firmly and hold tight lest you hurt someone." Atar was speaking common, and wondered if the child understood him. From his squawking he gathered not... but still, maybe.  He fidgeted as eyes turned to him, suddenly looking uncomfortable from where he sat.  Dred pulled his sheathed sword and cloak from his belt, laying the dusty cloak next to him, the sword he placed across his lap, sitting cross legged.  

Dred watched as the mage beside him raised an arm, palm turned upward, hand flat and fingers open.  Green flames licked his fingers and sprung to life, colors changing rapidly as the bright hues drained out of them leaving only grays and blues.  Rapidly the flames collapsed on themselves, chilled to what appeared to be ice, curled into a ball, and appeared to be simply made of shadow. The coalesced shadows were no longer than the mans thumb. After a moment of its solidity Atar passed the fingers of his free hand through the ethereal shadow ball, then offered it to Alberich.  "Your son is an adept."  He stated flatly, glancing at Raflroil, then to Silverd'art, then to  Mya.  The magic he was offering the child was harmless, a childs' practice tool in many schools.  The magic could be pulled and prodded but would fade completely away with a lack of focus on it.

Dred seemed uneasy, Tiraris was fixing a hate filled look on Raflroil, the swordsman shifted his position slightly and leaned forward, right hand picking up a piece of fruit, canted his head to Raflroil once more, then took a bite of the deliciously sweet, moist morsel.  Freshly harvested from a brand of cacti on their way he knew, scarce unless in season.  "Your kindness is well received, and shall be matched in any way that we can afford.  Might I inquire of your planned route?"  the common tongue rolled easily from his tongue, even in the tired and rugged state he was in, he managed to keep his tone polite, but commanding.  He realized his eyes hadn't left Alberich, and that the mage hadn't moved yet.  Atar was starting to look a little agitated, as if perhaps he was wrong.  "Zeyna, it appears you are more familiar with this desert than you lead me to believe."  He wasn't surprised that she had sheltered the information, not all were confident to open and forward about themselves.  "Long story short, Raflroil, my friend and I are bounty hunters, we were seeking a kidnapped Adelan high born child, who was a mage, kidnapped and sold into slavery by Connlaoth.  Mordecai were in pursuit of the child, accused of using magery in Connloath of course, the child's guide killed her companion and her, as mordecai set upon the village they were at.  We killed the Mordecai" he gestured to the mage and Silverd'art "And then came across a man, a necromancer, we know from years past, and moments after that arrived in the desert."

GoblinFae

Hafsah pouted at being turned away but settled down close to Dred, going so far as to shoo her sister away as she took a piece of fruit for herself and sucked on its nectar. Alberich meanwhile turned to ignoring the mage. The magic did not entice him to play and instead made him glare and stick his tongue out at the men. He had achieved what he wanted; his Zeyna had stopped tugging at her ear.

However, very slowly the ball began to unravel as if made of yarn. A strand moved bit by bit to wrap around the assassin's arm like a bangle until it was all there. Alberich let it sink into her skin like a tattoo even as he gazed elsewhere. Tiraris however was having none of it. Her breath became shallow and her nostrils flared. It was not painful but uncomfortable, moreso because she disliked the magic rather than it causing any harm. She tried shaking her arm but it remained.

Alberich finally realized it, forming it into a thin haze in front of him. For a brief second, Tiraris could have sworn she saw the face of her beloved and she froze. But, just as quickly as it had come it was gone with the child's angry huff. He blew on it fiercely as one blows on a candle, sending it like smoke into Atar's face.

"Do not call me Zeyna," the assassin at last said as Raflroi was still silently watching his son. "It is autumn; they go to Essyrn to do their trading before before winter arrives. Even in the desert there is cold and treacherous sandstorms can kill even the wisest and strongest man."

"Aye my thorny rose, you remember your time here well," the man chuckled, at last regaining his tongue. "We ask for no payment. Watching over this one is payment enough. The situations she manages to get herself into," he shook his head, "it is a wonder she is still alive. I cannot thank you enough for looking out for her, especially with those Mordecai. I have not heard anything good about them. I always fear for her safety as if she were my own."

"I resent that."
"You resemble that."

The two stared each other down before she groaned and looked away, her gaze falling on the girls. "So what, I do not get any water now?" A wet rag splatted heavily as it was thrown into her face. "Uncalled for," she grumbled before using it to wipe at her own face and neck.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

tekraa

Atar discreetly stuck his own tongue out at Alberich, watching with great interest as the boy manipulated the shadows.  The boy was eloquent, and showed such ease and patience with the material that he was almost in awe.  Rare talent, indeed.  This child was a danger, not in his potential but in what his potential could attract, dangers his family would not need to know about , but would likely face in the desert should they travel it long enough, old things that were attracted to powers, or those that touched power.  He realized, a bit late, that he should probably be afraid of what the child could do, but could not find distrust in the child, he was, after all, a child, and, the child was making his current nemesis uneasy.  "Afraid of some shadows, Zeyna?" he asked and grinned again.  Gods it had been long since he had had this much fun.  It was probably a sign of poor social skills, or an abundance of solitude, that he could find so much gratification out of agitating one woman, he would think on that later.

He caught Dred glance at Hafsah for a brief moment as he took another piece of fruit, the mage waggled indecisive fingers before plucking a piece for himself and popping it into his mouth, then rolled his eyes as the boy stuck his tongue out at them again.  "Indeed, if not for my knight friend here"  Atar paused a moment, dark eyes glistening as they moved from Dred to Tiraris.  "That mordecai that knew her would have, well, that doesn't matter because they all died anyway.  Does she have bad luck?  I would say good luck, the way she rolled off that roof into my arms was like an angel falling from heaven, lucky for you I was there to catch you."

Dred almost laughed and realized it would be a poor decision.  It had been long, long years since he had seen his friend like this, and he realized that even he was enjoying the break of monotony.  "The fruit is refreshing"  Dred interjected, an attempt at keeping peace.  " Raflroi, where may we rest before the evenings march?  I have decided that Atar and I shall accompany the caravan to the city."

GoblinFae

The assassin growled at Atar's taunts before smiling sweetly and plopping Alberich into his lap. "Here, a present for you since you seem so entranced." The child scowled and squirmed but did not get up either. "As for the other matter, Atar. I believe it is you not I who is the lucky one. After all I have not killed you yet and if an angel I am then you are blessed with my very presence," she continued in a dangerously sweet tone of voice.

"In addition to that, I would not have fallen if someone had not blown up the building I had been standing on. Now I wonder who that could be." Raflroi's eyes widened as he watched the woman's ire rise. It was only her calming hand on his shoulder as she passed him that had him smiling again.

Patting her hand, he sent her off to change in a divided corner of the tent and returned to addressing his other guests. He leaned forward as soon as she was gone though and lowered her voice. "Careful how you tease her boys. She hits twice as hard as she's been hit and could wait a century before lashing back."

Louder then, he continued. "As for travel, we will stay put for the night. You all need your rest and I think we have cause to celebrate." Raflroi winked and chuckled. "We will travel come light until our midday rest and then travel again. Never you worry though, we are glad to have the company of you three."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]