Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

This is all fine [ Goblin ]

Started by SanctifiedSavage, December 05, 2018, 05:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanctifiedSavage

Late evening was the perfect time to get anything done. Or at least, that's what she thought. Shadows started to drift across the street while the sun began to dip down beneath the rooftops of the stacked up buildings. Cities were like a forest. A weird, blocky, crowded forest with big, fat, square trees. That's how she'd always thought of them, anyway. Especially if the streets weren't overly organized and the alleyways between the buildings or blocks were narrow, winding things that people could lose themselves in.

In Serendipity, Glyssa didn't look too out of place. Dark hair, sure, but her eye color could be chalked up to a bit of odd genes but her clothes damn near matched. Not that she could ever really worry about fitting in. Most people looked right over her and anyone that did notice her, didn't look for long. There just wasn't much to look at, so long as Glyssa wasn't looking back. Small, sweet face and slender body wrapped up in lace, ribbon, and dark fabric. She could be anyone's well-to-do daughter roaming the streets, with her long hair pulled up in red ribbon. Slippered feet padded across the cobble stone while she made her way down toward the markets. They'd be cleaning up and getting ready to close for the night, which meant they'd not be too crowded.

She was looking for a book. Or was it a scroll? A map?

Knigata Na Vratite. The lost Book of Doors, a hiss reminded, sharp and angry like a snake that had been backed into a corner. She wasn't concerned at the reprimand, though, and scrunched her face up instead.

"Such a bunch of nonsense sounds," she said aloud while stopping in front of an impressive book store. Glass panes glittered in the evening light, glowing from within. Mage lights, most like. No one in their right mind would have candles, oil lamps, or the like around whatever expensive books were bound to be inside. Or at least that's what she believed. The door was polished wood and more glass, but the window was a bit too high for Glyssa to just peer into, so she opened it. Announcing her entry with the tingling of a little bell over the door.

Carpet and shelves greeted her, with the dancing mage lights keeping the interior lit despite how the street had started to darken. There was a desk, a ledger, and inkwell where the owner or whomever would likely mark down purchases. She wasn't here  for that, though, or even the coffer box likely under the elegantly carved counter. Instead, she began to make her way among the shelves. Many of them were out of her small hand's reach but she could read the titles. Or most of them - writ in scripted trade tongue to seem more appealing then their contents really were. A History of Trade or Border Lines and their Changes.

Bleh.

None of this sounded good at all.

The book, Glyssa.. An impatient sigh. Right. She was here for a book. A certain book.

While the shelves were mostly dark, there seemed to be a certain place where the light danced. Likely where someone was being shown a certain book. If the man was busy... "Just go and find our book," Glyssa sighed softly, releasing her hold on Parirsho. Dark clouds materialized in front of her and built up, solidifying into the tall, slender, woman-ish demon. Her black sclera and red iris eyes peered down at Glyssa, near luminous in the shadows of the shelves. "You'll find it faster than I will."

Black lips tilted in the ghost of a smile before Parirsho, clothed in a black corset dress, turned on a heel and walked away. Darkness walking into shadow.

Glyssa, curious as she was, made her way toward the light. If Parirsho was going to find the light, what was the harm in looking to see who else was around. Two shelves over and one row down, the stooped owner seemed to be having a disagreement with a patron. Something about the alchemical contents or formula writ in a book they were both holding - likely questioning the integrity of the shop's wares. That seemed to be the implication, anyway.

What a pointless argument. If the book was wrong, why bother? Could just... burn the whole place down, a guttural growl suggested. Glyssa's face scrunched up in distaste.

"We can't burn the place down just for that."

She hadn't realize she'd said it out loud until the owner tensed and lifted his light, looking around. "Someone there?" His voice rose in volume. "If you need assistance finding something..."

"I do," a silky, feminine voice said from behind the owner and his guest, opposite where Glyssa had nearly revealed herself. Parirsho revealed herself to his lantern light, the black markings of her face immediately making it apparent she wasn't... exactly... human.  Never mind the black and red eyes. "I do believe you have a key to a section in the back. I want it."

At least the devil hadn't killed the man to get it. Well. Not yet. Glyssa skipped into view, opposite the old man and his guest. As she did, she released Xog'droxir but with the order to, "Watch the door." The dark shadow of the demon, steps rumbling along the floor, was the only signal to the owner, that there was more than the woman and the girl.

"N-now see here..." he began, but it was as far as he got. Parirsho struck just as the front of the building resounded with a crashing of glass.  The old man went down, though likely still alive since there didn't seem to be any blood.

"Damn it, Xog, I said Watch the door!" she shouted even as she moved forward. Glyssa almost skipped past the other person entirely, but then remembered. She was in the shop for something. A...box? A baby? This boy? That made sense. Smiling sweetly, she grabbed ahold of his hand and pulled him, with strength far superior than her tiny body would suggest, toward the back of the building where Parirsho had vanished. A lumbering Xog tailed after, upsetting shelves and spilling all manner of books as he did. It didn't occur to Glyssa that she should banish the demon.

GoblinFae

Benjamin Hase was not having a good day. He had been waiting for months now for The Thunder Quill to send word that the precious and rare text he had requested had been recovered and was ready for purchase. The man had just about given up hope on ever hearing anything (to be truthful it wouldn't be the first time a shop had let him down in the pursuit of supplies and knowledge). Yet out of the blue as it were a messenger came to inform Lord Hase of his requested text.

The news should have made his day and in fact for a good five minutes it had! That is, at least until he had made to slink out the front door and was waylaid by Lady Hase. His mother apparently had other plans for his day in the form of yet another hopeful Young Lady Hase. Instead of perusing shelves of old tomes and scrolls he had been stuck sitting stiffly sipping bitter tea and sticky, sweet cakes while making awkward conversation.

His nostrils flared for the nine millionth time as the buzz of conversation startled and distracted him from his thoughts. A glance towards the windows revealed a waning sun and he knew that he needed to make a rapid and polite retreat before he was forced to wait one more day. It was a fate he just absolutely refused to suffer.

Standing and bowing quite low before the three women he apologised for his rudeness and begged their forgiveness in leaving first. "I am afraid fair and gentle Lady Cortha that I must cut our conversation short. As despicable as it is of me to do so, I am afraid I have another previous engagement to attend to and it shames me to leave your lovely presence early. If you'll forgive me," he bowed again and strode quickly out of the room before his mother had a chance to latch on and drag him back.

Benjamin did not stop nor slow his strides until he was well out the door and nearly to bookshop at last. Only then did he allow a small bounce to enter his gleeful steps as he entered and began a long-winded conversation with the shopkeeper. And as it usually was, it soon turned into an engrossing debate over cost. The fact that he had already paid the shopkeeper in advance seemed to have been completely and conveniently forgotten now that the book was so close in sight.

"If you're interested in the content of the text then you must purchase the text in full, Lord Hase. I'm sorry but we are not a library and I will not have us taken advantage so!"

"Sir, may I remind you yet again that I have already paid in full for this text and therefore am more than permitted to do as I see fit with my property, including reading the contents to ensure that this is even the text I previously purchased."

"But that was not purchasing it, Lord Hase. That was a finder's fee. We found you the book. Now you will pay for the book," the shopkeeper insisted even as Benjamin shifted his stance in irritation and ran a pale hand through his ginger locks. "Now if you will kindly pay me for the product, then you are more than welcome to read the text to your heart's content in your own home.

The nobleman pursed his lips tightly while taking a deep, calming breath. He would argue his point until he was blue in the face. He needed this book for his newest alchemical project and he was not about to go home after such a day empty-handed. He already knew he awaited his mother's wrath the moment he was caught stepping foot back into his own manor.

He was interrupted from saying such though as the owner completely ignored him in favour for staring off into the dark and calling out to another. Benjamin blinked slowly as things happened far too quickly for even his mind to comprehend.

A woman spoke, the floor shuddered, glass shattered, the shopkeeper fell, shouting rang out, and then suddenly Benjamin was being dragged forward in a bruising grip by a tiny imp of a woman that he had not even seen. He struggled to say something to the girl-child, turning to look back at the fallen man and demand he be attended to when he caught sight of the massive creature winding his way through the bookshelves and causing them to tumble with chaotic glee. Dumbfounded, the alchemist could only stare in silent wonder as he was continuously tugged along. No, Benjamin Hase was certainly not having a good day at all.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

SanctifiedSavage

"What did you do?" Glyssa shot back over her shoulder while she reached the back door with Parirsho. Xog, his long neck and muzzle held far over her head, grinned wide to flash teeth longer than her fingers. His dark skin rippled over muscle. "Desk through window," he growled through a mouth not entirely crafted for speech.

Glyssa scrunched up her face, annoyed, while the devil touched the door and melted the handle so they could walk into the alley. Some shouts echoed from the front, people concerned and confused about why there was a desk in the street. "Can't do anything right," Glyssa grumbled before exerting her will to banish the beast. Just as they'd appeared, the demon dissolved into thick, black smoke that easily dispersed. Only his sneering growl was left.

With her prize in hand, Glyssa tugged the boy down the street with the tall, slender devil easily keeping pace. What made this boy so special, she couldn't really remember, but it was best they get away from the damn store they'd just vandalized.  Before they reached the end of the alley, Glyssa said, "Up," and, obediently, Parirsho wrapped both of her arms around them and jumped up. Launching them all into the air before landing on the roof of the building immediately to their left and gingerly placing Glyssa down.

The devil dumped the boy. Her black and red eyes regarded him as a wolf might a mouse - minor interest, but with little real concern. Rather than ask why Glyssa had grabbed the boy, the slender human-ish devil walked toward the edge of the roof and idly peered down. Watching. The moon caught along her corset and silk black dress. From behind, she looked quite human, if a bit too thin around her waist where the corset clinched. Long, inky black hair compliment her already dark attire. It was only the black markings, claws, and red/black eyes that immediately made it apparent Parirsho was not of this world.

Glyssa sat where she'd been dropped and sighed heavily, leaning back on an arm. Looking at the boy she'd pulled with her, she asked, "So why are you so important?"

GoblinFae

No amount of sputtering on his part seemed to get actual words to form upon Benjamin's tongue. He was dragged along by the child even as he could only mutter gibberish and squeak in protest. The sudden halt allowed him only enough time to open his mouth and draw in a deep breath before the dark woman latched onto him and leaped.

All the air he had carefully drawn in escaped in a shrill shriek that did not end even as he was discarded and collapsed once more on a solid surface. By the time his voice tapered off, he was panting for air and scrabbling to cling to the rooftop in fear of a strong gust of wind blowing him right off.

"Excuse me, but I believe there's been a grave error here," Benjamin finally squeaked out between raspy gulps for air. "You don't just randomly kidnap people and dump them on rooftops in this country!!!" He screeched for a moment, running a shaking hand through his hair and then over his chest to smooth the dark fabric there.

Attempting for calm, he tried again. "You destroyed the bookshop. The shopkeeper may very well be dying of shock down there! And my book is still back there. You must take me back at once!  I can assure you that I won't press charges or anything but I have places to be and very, very important things to be doing right now. I'm sure you can uh," he looked up and down at the red-eyed woman and pursed his lips slightly before continuing, "understand. Now please take me back. It is getting quite late and my mother will begin to worry," he added while dusting himself off as if his request was nothing out of the ordinary.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

SanctifiedSavage

If Glyssa registered that he'd screamed, she didn't remember it now that she was sitting on the relatively flat rooftop. It was likely another store or some such, given the district they were in. With the sun setting on the horizon, it cast them in growing shadows that seemed particularly long and dark around Parirsho, who continued to keep an eye on the street below them.

The Watch had been called to look into the matter of the shop. Confusion spread through the people looking at it, and it was likely to turn into a thing when they realized that the shop keep was dead. The devil hadn't particularly cared to leave him alive and, really, what was another drop in the bucket at this point? Faint amusement played through Parirsho but she was otherwise quiet. So far, they hadn't checked the alley.

Glyssa's attention was on the boy. The one she was supposed to get. Right?

When he started talking, she really did try to pay attention. She'd asked a question, after all, so she was expecting that what came out of his mouth was going to be the answer. Except it wasn't. Or if it was, it turned out to be a rather long answer that lost her somewhere when he was talking about his book. A book? Something about a book. Then her eyes glazed over and her mind pattered off, tumbling about, thinking about the fact that she had asked Xog to watch the door, but she hadn't really specified that he do so quietly.

A classic mistake that she really shouldn't have made. Maybe she'd been distracted by the boy? Or the book? Wait, was it the shop keep?

Glyssa blinked a couple of times when she realized he was done talking, then smiled a little. "So your talent must be words, hm? Must be why they want you, because you talk more than anyone I know." At that, the small Archfiend stood up, brushed her own skirts off, and took a step forward to take his hand once more. "That's ok. I'm going to take you back to the House. You can talk to them."

That seemed like the best course of action.

"Hm. They seem to have discovered the dead body and are now in the alley below us," Parirsho mentioned, voice smooth as black velvet and full of wicked promise as she took a step away from the edge of the roof, turning her black and red eyes to her soul-bond. "How would you like to progress?"

Damn. Glyssa really didn't want to make a mess as they left.. She glanced up at the boy-who-liked-to-talk. "We'll need a distraction at the shop... then we'll get out of here. Find a place to lay low."

As soon as that seemed to be the plan, the she-devil's black lips quirked in a small smile and she gestured with one of her clawed hands. The bookstore behind her exploded into flames – followed by screams of panic, pain, and confusion. "Shall we?"

Glyssa squealed in delight before she turned away from the store and pulled the boy after her. Now, where to lay low? Someone's home? A basement? A warehouse? Such considerations played through her mind as she leapt to the next rooftop, damn near dropping the poor boy. He'd have likely fell to the street below, save that Parirsho caught his arm and opted to carry him, following Glyssa.

GoblinFae

"House? Oh my home! Well that is certainly very kind of you. I suppose it's only to be expected after an attempted kidnapping. Really though can we skip the whole flying thing? The ground is perfectly good for walking. And we can stop and check on the shopkeep along the way to make sure he's alright--"

Benjamin's head whipped to the side where the dark woman spoke. "Dead body?!" He screeched, his voice uncharacteristically shrill and high pitched, likely to be heard by the people below. "What do you mean dead body? Is it the shopkeep? I told you, you likely frightened him to death! We have to go back! This is all your fault!--"

A booming explosion of the shop going up in flames suddenly silenced the nobleman. He moved towards the edge, only able to stare in slack-jawed horror at all the knowledge being wasted into nothing. A sound akin to a dying animal escaped his throat as he was easily dragged away from the edge, his eyes never leaving the sight though.

The poor man did not even register as he was nearly dropped, as his mind continued to try and process the great travesty that had just occurred. Benjamin hung limply in the devil's arms for several quiet minutes before suddenly blinking and coming back to himself. He surveyed his surroundings before piping up beseechingly.

"Pardon me, but we're head in the wrong direction. My house is that way," he pointed further south back the way they had come. "Honestly, if you just put me down, I'll just walk myself home. This is getting to be rather ridiculous now."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]