Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winds of Change [nephero] [M]

Started by GoblinFae, April 22, 2021, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinFae

"**I am older than you, young one. I remember when our little border skirmishes were more than little or without casualties. I and the eldest among us here bear the scars of these encounters as well as some of your own I'm sure. I have seen the leadership of Cortla change hands many times not just since my boyhood but also in my time as Chieftain alone. You will have to forgive us our wariness given that this is not the first time we have come to Cortla, seeking compromise. Skirmishes are one thing but our shared southern threat has already wrought irreparable damage for myself and my people.**"

He paused then with another soft sigh. Beside him the Elders leaned in to whisper among themselves. The Master Night Flier shook his head repeatedly, his words clipped and short while the Master Talon pled for reason, all the while Atsida sat as still as the mountains to the south, enduring the winds and words swirling all about him.

It was during the quibbling that Enoka suddenly returned, alone and as silently swift as a shadow. He resumed his stance behind Atsida but his eyes were focused on Aike's. "Oolha will not be returning," he intoned in perfect Ketran, his voice as light and playful as that of a confident man. "Sorry to startle you Little Spiders. Do not be afraid though as we will not allow even one of our own to harm you so long as you come here seeking peace. At least so long as you don't say please first," he chuckled even as the Master Wingmaster reached out to strike his thigh and admonish him. Enoka simply winked at Aike while reaching to place a hand on Atsida's broad shoulder, lending him his own calm strength.

The Taluvan chief held up a hand begging silence from his people who were still all squabbling for different reasons. "**It is the time of year when my people pass our shared border on our way to the south where we winter within the shadow of the mountain. I cannot pull my people now when there are so many vulnerable to protect from more than just Cortlan posturing. Once they have passed by I can reduce the patrols that regularly run that path but not before. Would that be acceptable to you?**"

"What of the mountain?" Enoka interrupted, ignoring how the Parliament glared and some of the Night Fliers shifted in amusement to hide snickers. "Our people shelter against it in the winter but I abs others have seen Cortlans there too peeking out at us. We cannot be expected to remove our patrols there as well surely."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

nephero

Aike was beginning to get annoyed. They kept their face neutral, of course, rather than expressing how much they were running out of patience for this meeting. The sudden return of the tall warrior did only a small amount to alleviate that tension, and Aike was fairly disappointed because at any other venture the joking (and mutually understood language) would have been a welcome relief.

As it was, they could only sit there in silence while the Taluvans chattered and sniped among themselves, and did their best to remember Grandmother's greatest lesson: Patience, patience, patience. Aike straightened their back and schooled their breathing, taking in slow inhales through their nose and exhaling through pursed lips. Beneath all the squabbling, they could hear several of their trapdoors doing the same, and knew tempers were starting to run very thin.

Once more, they held up a single finger, mouth in a tight line as they regarded the Taluvans gathered there.

"I did not say that. Chief Great Horned Owl, for all your years of wisdom, surely you can see the benefit of extending me the courtesy of actually listening to my words. I did not say I had more experience than anyone else gathered here. I simply bring you knowledge of how the Cortlan people will feel if I were to leave our borders completely unmanned."

It really would be so much easier if they could just see the Taluvans' damn faces. It was hard to tell what was going on in their heads, whether Aike's words were truly being lost in translation or they were all simply ignoring what Aike was trying to say. Which wouldn't have been so bad if they all hadn't collectively decided to put words in Aike's mouth, and it took a fair bit of personal reasoning to not assume the Taluvans were just mocking them now. Especially since it seemed there were more people versed in the Ketran dialect than they'd previously believed.

"I also did not say that you had to remove every last one of your patrols that could possibly come into contact with Cortla," they said, a bit more sharply now. "I said I wanted a promise. I want Talu's word that if I pull half of my soldiers into the mountains to cover the passes there, Talu will honor the agreement to not patrol our eastern border with the same fervor that we have both witnessed in the past. I am asking you for the courtesy of easing my people's fears once we have eased yours."

Aike stared right into Atsida's mask.

"Can I trust your word?"

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

GoblinFae

Yet another beleaguered sigh escaped Atsida’s lips to the exhausted point where he found himself leaning more of his weight back against Enoka’s legs and thereby earn himself another comforting shoulder squeeze. “**I fear we are having some form of miscommunication or error in translation Governor Aike Jadon. I must ask for your cool-headed patience in this regard as I am not seeking to offend or insult. I never wished to accuse you of such things only commiserate in shared understanding. I too have fought the same battles you have only standing on the other side. It is as fresh in my memory as yours. It is as real a concern for the people of Talu as it is for those of Cortla I’m sure. I am not diminishing by any means your concerns or experiences, only wishing to express my understanding. If I have caused you offense though please accept my apology it was done so unknowingly.**”

Atsida place his hand to his heart bending low in a show of vulnerable contrition before straightening again. “**I believe,” he continued shooting a warning glare up at the standing man, “that Enoka Stormcleaver here’s concern is less that you are asking us to remove everything and more how your people will feel with our people still so close as we are every winter.l and less patrols elsewhere. We are not looking to create fear for your people as it only breeds unrest that will come back to bite us. If you feel this will not be a problem then...yes, you can trust our word. If you can wait for the seasons to change, then we will temporarily reduce our numbers along the border until our territories can come up with a more permanent solution that suits us both.**”
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

nephero

Slowly, ever so slowly, Aike began to relax again. At the very least, it didn't seem as if it were Atsida himself looking to wind them up tighter than a bridge's knot. The throbbing anger from behind them faded just as slowly, but it was fading nonetheless. Aike was certain several of their guard were rolling their shoulders just to get the tension out.

"Winter is not a concern. After all, we'll be increasing our patrols in the mountains, the better to deal with potential raiders and slaver caravans. It is purely this border here that I am concerned with." Aike gestured backwards to their home, and the broad emptiness of the badlands in between distant mesas. "That is a lot of open ground. A lot of emptiness to leave unguarded. ...So long as I can trust Talu to not march to our doorstep come summer... I believe we can make this work. For now."

Aike looked at those gathered around Atsida, and considered for a long moment.

"And in between... we can continue to meet. Find out what concerns we still have, and work together for the betterment of both of our people."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

He nodded in thought with each spoken and translated word. "**Aye because come summer this arrangement may not hold. My concern with reducing our numbers is less to do with a Cortlan invasion and more to do with that is a lot of land on both our territories left on light guard. With a full party on both sides or even on one then should something beyond either of our controls occurs then we have others at our back to help. Until then though, we shall reduce our numbers as promised and arrive to make the necessary changes to protect Talu and Cortla both...for our children,**" he added with a hesitant softness that rang out in more than just words but also in the weary slump of strong shoulders and downcast sadness of his eyes.

With a shake of his head, Atsida cleared his personal thoughts away and addressed Aike with refocused attention. "**Talu has asked much of you but when we came to you seeking compromise, was there anything Cortla would ask of us? We do not seek to only take abs give nothing in return in terms of demands.**"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aha, now there it was. The same feeling that had shocked their system before now came back, though it was more of a slow rolling tremor than the sharp shake it had been before. Aike looked at how Atsida sad, felt him through the web, saw how closely cut his hair was. Aike hadn't dared assume anything before, but now with this...

For our children.

Oolha's outburst.

How quickly the Taluvans were to tense and squawk like angry crows.

Aike had been telling the truth. They did feel for Talu's plight: the unification had brought with it so much relief and safety, but nothing was ever truly safe. And as hard as Cortla worked to keep the southern passes free and clear, there were those who worked just as hard to make them less so.

They were all only human, after all.

Aike hummed quietly in thought.

"Honestly, what I have asked for is the gesture I needed to know our agreement would be in good faith. Simply knowing that we will not be attacked for being within sight of the border will be enough. For as long as our arrangement holds, at any rate." They tilted their head some, less on edge now that it seemed there was some headway to be made and this all hadn't been just a colossal waste of time. "Perhaps, when we meet again, we can see if there is anything more either of our people need. I have much to catch my advisors up on, as it already stands."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

"Cortla truly wants for nothing?" The Master Wingmaster piped up before Atsida could respond. "We come to you but there is nothing you would ask selfishly of your own? You only ask us to reduce our numbers out of good faith and so you can meet the needs of our own request. It is an insult to our Chief to make us come to you like beggars."

"Let him, voice his own insult," Enoka interrupted only to fall silent at Atsida's staying hand. There was some quiet discourse that followed as words were translated and the Wingmaster attempted to argue further with Atsida who continuously shook his head having none of it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike was utterly baffled. They shook their head with both eyebrows raised in disbelief at the Master Wingmaster's outburst.

"I am beginning to believe," they said very slowly and very quietly, "that there is very little Cortla could say or do that would not immediately be seen as some kind of insult. Talu is already asking very much of us. It will be hard work building new outposts in the mountains, setting up supply lines, reworking entire patrols, trusting that we will not be immediately betrayed..."

Aike narrowed their eyes, though this time it was entirely in the Wingmaster's own direction rather than through Atsida.

"I will not be ruining such a fragile friendship so quickly by getting greedy. If your conscience demands you pay more, cousin, then by all means, offer more. However, I expect nothing further from Chief Great Horned Owl."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka snorted and even winked beneath his mask at Aike and the Cortlans, highly amused at the uppity Elder being told to essentially sit down and be silent. It was also Enoka with great amusement who translated for Atsida as the Elder Wingmaster fumbled for words.

"Chief Great Horned Owl wishes to know what resources and supplies you might require to ease your burden. He can make no promises that Talu can make good on everything but he is willing to offer whatever help he may. Because some of us are actually good men. Self not included of course," Enoka teased with another wink and an unseen smirk beneath his mask, earning him yet another seat from the Chief who well knew that tone having heard it many times since their boyhood.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike could really not make heads or tails of the standing warrior - Enoka, was it? He was the only one still on his feet, the only one who might have proven a lingering threat, if he hadn't been acting as if this whole thing weren't genuinely just a picnic. His hair was just as short as Atsida's, but he carried none of the tone of dire need that the rest of the talk had been. Nor any of the other Taluvans' outright hostility.

Still, he made for a better translator than the Wingmaster, and so Aike was all too happy to carry on as if the man didn't exist and go through Enoka instead. Aike snorted quietly in amusement.

"If Chief Great Horned Owl insists," Aike lifted their empty teacup, "I certainly would not say no to more of that tea. He was right, it does help after a long journey."

After a moment, they gestured back down to the half-eaten bundles still set between them.
"There's still one skewer left for you, if you can handle it."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Atsida did not need to understand the words to recognize Aike's gesture. He more than eagerly refilled their cup as well as any of the other Cortlans that desired more. "**I have one last request to make,**" he spoke softly, allowing Enoka to translate even as the other man mock squinted and accepted the last skewer with more teasing over how he wished there were ten more not just the one. "**Would you honor me Governor Aike Jadon by sharing my pipe again so that our new friendship may part ways on a happier note?**"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike took a long sip of tea, their trapdoors also leaning in for refills of their own, knowing full well it would be a long walk back to the city, and they would not see their homes until well into the early morning.

"++I also wish we had ten more skewers.++" Rakal said over her own cup. "++He looked about to thrash just after one.++"

"++If there is to be more talks, we should bring the very hot ones.++" Sikke agreed.

Aike chuckled lowly at that, before turning their attention back onto Atsida. A bit more at ease, they inclined their head forward in quiet acceptance.

"I will, of course, smoke to a new friendship."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka ate despite the scrunched up faces at the heat mostly hidden behind his mask. He still plied Atsida with the last two grasshoppers who nibbled at one albeit very slowly. The Chief wished to offer up no further insult but he'd had little stomach for food and even now despite having eaten so little, he was not hungry for more. He did offer up leaves to the wind before lighting his pipe for a few puffs and passing it reverently on to Aike.

"**Do you have provisions enough for your journey back or have we eaten them all on you? You will of course be taking one of the skins of tea with you. My wife would be quite cross if I allowed weary travelers to leave without it,**" Atsida offered graciously even as Enoka raised his brows and quipped much to every Taluvan's deep amusement, "**she would?**"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike leaned forward and took the pipe just as carefully, taking a few puffs and relaxing even further for it. They passed the pipe back soon after, and wrapped up what remained of the bundles again.

"We have our provisions, rest assured. These were just something a bit more special than our usual patrol fare. It suited a special time." Aike smiled some and pushed the tied up bundles towards Atsida. "Consider it a trade with your wife for the tea. At least save her some of the candies."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

"**Yes because that will go over so well,**" snarked Enoka as he accepted the parcels from Atsida.

"**Behave yourself, Enoka. You have run your mouth far too much in front of our new friends who are jumpy enough as it is when it comes to perceived insult.**"

"**It is not exactly as if Hummingbird has not made her displeasure clear on this Atsida.**"

The Chief scowled slightly shaking his head at Enoka before bobbing his head in thanks twice to Aike. He rose to his feet then with some effort, Enoka catching his elbow very quickly before letting go so as to not show weakness as the Night Fliers assisted the other Elders to their feet and packed their own things.

"**I look forward to meeting with you again in the future, my friend. If you find you require something you need only ask. I'm afraid though we too have a long walk home as well and should be on our way. It has been an honor to meet with you Governor Aike Jadon. I look forward too to seeing all that comes to pass beneath your wings.**"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

In the same, graceful motion that seemed like no effort at all, the Cortlans rose to their feet, their gear stowed away once more and each with their hands clasped behind their backs. Aike inclined their head again, deeply towards Atsida, and then with another smaller nod to the rest.

"Until we next speak, Chief Atsida the Great Horned Owl. I hope your walk home is an easier one."

Aike turned away then, stepping away from the blanket and back towards the Cortlan territory, taking the main road back while they were still visible to the Taluvans. Their guard followed suit, turning in two at a time with a few steps between them, marching in silence until they were well out of earshot.

"++That could have gone worse.++" Sikke observed.

"++It's something to take back with us.++" Aike replied. In truth, it was more than they could have hoped for. For how the council had acted, it seemed the more likely scenario was for Aike to return with a few more scars to them.

"++One year of not having to chase each other around the border? I'll certainly take it.++" Rakal quipped. "++Councilmember Oda will be less than pleased, though.++"

"++Councilmember Oda needs to mind the Funnel where he's needed.++" Sikke growled.

"++Enough, enough. We're not dead and we're not at war. That should be plenty to celebrate on its own.++" Aike chided gently. They stretched their arms high above their head as they walked, grunting softly as their shoulders popped nicely. The further they got, the less tense they felt, and it was easy to fall into the same idle chatter that had taken the Cortlans from the city to the border, their pace steady even as they stepped off the road and out into the hidden paths through the wild.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

The Taluvans also took their leave with some Night Fliers running ahead while others flanked their sides and the final few took up the rear. It did. It take long before they did what Taluvans were known for and disappeared into the long grasses in nearly a blink of an eye. Enoka walked beside Atsida for several paces as the Elders complained and argued mainstream themselves behind the pair.

"**You did not eat,**" Enoka stated, his tone reproachful as he gazed down at the weary chief.

"**And your mouth is still aflame I'm sure...he is young, the Cortlan Governor. His predecessor would have demanded more of us. It was a mistake to bring Oolha. I should have taken her grief into account. That was my own fault—**"

"**You grieve too Little Owl. She is responsible for her own actions.**" Enoka cursed then as he touched something in his belt pouch. "**I must go back. I forgot something. I will be quick,**" he declared then not even waiting for an answer as he took off across the plains and into Cortlan territory after the peace party, following their tracks with ease even as they diverged off the path into the wilds.

As Enoka drew closer though he called out to them, not because he did not relish a skirmish but because he knew it would disappoint Atsida and that was the last thing he wishes to do. "Governor!" He called out, his voice laced with amusement. "I know how much you've missed me already so I've come to grant you one more look!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Aike felt the ground before they heard Enoka's voice. The thread below plucked in rapidfire warning, the footsteps that heralded an arrival. They froze in place and turned sharply, the quick motion setting their guard on edge as each one drew their knives.

Only to immediately relax to spot just the one owl running after them. Aike tilted their head and only just caught his words. They snorted in amusement, and sheathed their own knives, a signal to the rest of their guard to do much the same.

"How very kind of you to think of my emotional well-being, Enoka Stormcleaver." Aike smirked as they turned around and walked back to meet him partway, their hands back behind their back. "What may I help you with?"

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

GoblinFae

Enoka chuckles as he slowed his approach to finally stop before the willowy figure of the Cortlan leader, his own broader frame towering over them. "The others will not say as they are too focused on retaining honor, and Atsida on not causing insult, but I fear neither of these things so you are in luck. I wish to show you the weapon that Oolha Firewing was so intent upon clubbing you with, if I may. She wanted you to have it."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

nephero

Each one of the Cortlans blinked altogether owlishly at Enoka, utterly surprised by his words and the almost comically casual way he spoke them. Aike was, temporarily, at a loss for words. A weapon? Clubbing?

"Uh... Very well, then." Aike eyed him expectantly, though they maintained a fair distance just in case. Again, they got no hint of hostility from this man, but again, they didn't really get much of a hint of anything. "If that is her wish."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__