Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What's a good place for a military character?

Started by quaggan, May 29, 2018, 08:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quaggan

Hello! I've been thinking of making an army officer character, but I don't know where to put him. What countries have an established army with a lots of activity and potential (Not Connlaoth)? So far, Adela and Essyrn seem promising. Adela is described as a warlike nation, and one with a strong army. Essyrn has an established wish to re-conquer the world, and already a conflict to participate in with the slave rebellion. Any recommendations?

Kingfisher

Actually, Serendipity might be an interesting choice, though you may want to talk to Eckart Von Musel regarding his Altas Verde Independence movement before commiting.  Though keep in mind, this would be in sevice to a baron's militia, not a national army (an axiomatic impossibility under feudalism).

GoblinFae

Hello!

Technically speaking almost every country has an army. The exception would be Essyrn which has a police force more than a military and Yoreiq which has tribal warriors rather than an army. Serendipity and Adela both gets ton of action of late that would make them great candidates for a new character that you're feeling.

As for Altas Verde and Eckhart's small guild, that would only affect your character if you placed them in that specific province. The entire country is not affected by what's going on there and every province is a bit different.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Or if this was unhelpful just say and we can try to assist further.

Happy writing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Aeytrious

Just know that each country has a different style and culture where their military is involved.
Connlaoth is a union of duchies that are united under a grand duke but have their own individual priorities and goals. They are more similar in government to feudal japan, though their aesthetic design is very Germanic. They also hate magic and magic users unless the magic in question is divine in which case it's deemed "miracles" by the church.  They have the highest tech level of any country as a result.
Serendipity is a true kingdom with a monarchy but each province is very much like a state. They have their own local military that is at the call of the high lord or lady who is sworn to the crown. In most cases the ruler is of noble blood and has some blood connection to the crown, which in turn has them all scheming to get that thrown, so who knows who might withhold troops or delay in sending them, in the hopes to gain strength over a rival. At the same time, those that are quick to the Queens call might find themselves in her debt or gain her favor. The government is most like feudal Europe but it's not an exact copy by any means. Serendipity is very magical and they are proud of their fae heritage.
Adela is indeed a warlike country, but that's mostly internal at this stage in their existence. They are a fiercely tribal country that was conquered and massively influenced by Serenian rule. The country is undergoing a major rewrite at the moment, so it's not been completely revealed what the state of things are now. What I can reveal is that the tribes are competitive and continue to fight amongst themselves in border skirmishes that allow for the constant flux of those borders. Rather than states or provinces, the country is split into territories. There are over arcing Adelan themes, but from tribe to tribe, things are a bit varied. The Country is held together by the might of the Dragon tribe, and their dragon riders.
Hop ethat helps. Have fun!
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Kingfisher

Minor difference of opinion but politically, Connlaoth more closely resembles the Holy Roman Empire (also an Elected Monarchy) than Japan, especially given the internal sovereignty of each kingdom sized Duchy as well as the comparative authority or the Grand Duke.  It's military seems to borrow elements of the Spartan legend with a (supra)national composition similar to the Reichsarmee.

Of the three empires, Adela, with its warlike tribal/clan structure is more similar to feudal Japan, at least based on what I've read.  Granted, things may change but it you want to interpret Adelans as medieval "barbarians," Japan would have to be your best comparison.

Draconian

Quaggan got the answers they were looking for, Kingfisher.

How the kingdoms function (the imaginary kingdoms in an imaginary land that have slight similarities to real world ancient military forces) wasnt up for discussion or debate.

Aeytrious

The thing about Connlaoth is that it may appear to be an elected monarchy, but it's more like a hereditary military dictatorship. It's similar to the difference between saying you're a democracy and actually being an oligarchy (looking at you America). The Dukes give the Grand Duke his power, but to take it away would most likely have to happen by force. It's handling would depend on the loyalty of the people and the soldiers. In the case of the death of the Grand Duke, the person most likely to seize control, I mean be elected (no I don't), would be the person with the most military might and/or political clout. That would usually be the adult heir of the Grand Dukes house. But I was only talking about the structure of their governments, not their cultures. Connlaoth has very few if any similarities to Japan. You'd have to go searching for them to find them. Adela is open about the fact that it's a hereditary military dictatorship, but it also has a totally different power structure. The current king of Adela decides the capital of the country simply by being it's king, as his tribe and it's territory becomes the dominant tribe of the country. Adelan's have a tribal holdover called the Right of Challenge that allows a person to challenge the leader of a tribe or the country for their position. To qualify for the right of challenge you must be eligible by blood, deed or majority support, but the possibility is there. More will come out on that when we finish Adela's rewrite.

Anyway though, Draco is right. This wasn't the place for this discussion. Sorry for our lore discussion in your question Quaggan.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Kingfisher

Sorry, I didn't mean for my comment to be mistaken for a lore debate.  I was simply suggesting that the Japanese political comparison as used was misleading/confusing for new users.  At least based on the manner that I conceptualize political characters (I swear, I do have one...somewhere).