Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cats and Mice (Closed)

Started by Winters-Feather, March 14, 2012, 07:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winters-Feather

"I like his solution a little more, is all," Maar replied to the assassin's last question with a shrug. As she spoke, her words were accompanied by the sound of splashing water as she waded towards the shore with the bucket overhead.
 "Besides, you still haven't answered my question. Did your employer ever tell you why you were on this mission?"
The fae giggled at that.

"I bet he kept you ignorant. Or was it a she? No matter; people only say things are unpredictable when they don't fully understand them."
Maar had reached the shore at these words, and placed the bucket by her feet as she adjusted her pants. As she did so, her eyes stared at the woman's.
"I bet you don't even fully know yourself," she quietly added as she pondered  on Silverd'art's previous words.

Never had far to fall.
The fae wondered if the woman had been referring to her mysterious magic, or to her position as a noblewoman, or both.

GoblinFae

Tiraris snorted and stretched her arms over her head. "I wish I were ignorant. The bloody fool spent all night talking my ear off when I would have much preffered to be doing other things. Honestly it is he who I think does not understand things. Or maybe it is you who does not. I have seen the death, or capture as in this case, of a single man turn the tide in the favor the man's cause. Just because he might not be the one to lead it does not mean that he does not have influence even while incapacitated. I told you before though, I was not hired to kill. Frankly even if given the chance now I would not take it. You drive me completely bonkers! I would not want to deal with you anymore than I already have to."

Fristrated with all the talking they had been doing and knowing that such a continuance could force information she did not wish to share to come to light, Tiraris decided to resort to more mischievious means of changing the topic. Using the irritation and combining it with an ager at having herself analyzed in such a way, the assassin was able to loosely take control of her magic. It took all of her concentration to tease the magic out of her core so that she could do what she wanted with it, but she was determined.

Nearly all of her focus was trained on the water behind the annoying chatterbox. Like trying to push a stone through the eye of a needle, her muscles strained as she grappled with the magic until finally with a very soft pop the magic flowed out to invisibly scoop up a tiny wave of water to splash Maar from the waist down.

Tiraris scowled slightly to see that all of that effort did barely anything at all. 'I need to find a better way to control this. It is getting to be too mcuh.' A raging headache built behind her eyes, almost making her regret her choice.

Almost being the keyword as she smirked darkly at the other woman. "You better hurry back to your master little pixie. You do not want him to die on you, do you?" she taunted, not feeling any of the smug superiority she normally would have in this particular situation.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Winters-Feather

Maar patiently listened to Tiraris' rant. She smiled in amusement as the assassin rattled on about her chatty employer and her annoyance. In her arrogance and her years, the fae didn't really mind the woman's accusations. Frankly, she didn't care. Besides, Silverd'art's anger only seemed to confirm to the fae that she was a mess, and that made Maar feel superior as she walked towards the shore. Her eyes were fixed on the lady. She could feel the chaotic magic stir within the assassin  and how it reached out. Maar didn't want to admit it, but she really had no idea what this woman was capable of. The fae doubted Silverd'art's power could best her own, but she had to be cautious. Maar practically held her breath as she stood with her feet planted in the ground, ready to disappear into the shadows, when...

SPLASH.
The fae blinked as she looked down at her soaked clothes.
"Oh," she murmured, completely underwhelmed.
That was it?
The fae curiously stared up at the woman as she continued to taunt Maar, who brushed off her feeble attempt of mocking her on account of being utterly embarrassed.
"I think you'll be the one to die if you don't learn how to control your magic," she replied as she picked up the bucket, again.
"It's a shame. You have potential, Lady Silverd'art," the fae said as she began to head back to the cottage.  She flashed a smile too wide to be human.
"I expect we'll see each other soon," Maar added in a sickly sweet voice, "I don't think your employer would respond well to failure."
With  that, she  skipped into the darkness of the trees.

No, failure wasn't an option in their line of work. But hadn't she failed, in a way? Morindo was in no condition to go to his meeting, now , that was for sure. Suddenly, a beautiful idea occurred to her.
What if I arrived in his place?

GoblinFae

The assassin silently seethed, waiting until the other left before hurling a dagger into a tree where Maar's head had been. "Imagine what a loss of control would do little fairy." She winced and groaned. 'That was a very stupid thing to do Tir. You should not waste your energy on petty, childish squabbles.'

Even as she chided herself, Tiraris struggled to hold onto her weak control. By playing with it and forcing it she had tipped the balance and brought it to the forefront only to let the majority of it simmer just beneath the surface. Her breath whistled in and out of her nose as the woman tried to take steady, shallow breaths.

When she at last had a measure of control over herself once more, the assassin made her way back to her current lodgings. With Maar preoccupied with her employer, Tiraris figured she could just go home and get some rest before figuring out future plans. She knew that her next chance would be the meeting that all of the nobles were expected to attend but, she also wished to avoid that at all costs. It was too much of a trap with everyone on edge about betrayal.

The door of her room at the inn closed behind her with a light bang that made her head reverberate painfully. Tiraris did not have long to think about it though before a firm hand latched onto her throat and whipped her around to slam her back into a bookshelf. The suddenness of the move combined with the throbbing pain of having her head pelted with books kept Tiraris stunned for a moment more than she would have wanted.

The dying embers of a fire caught the light of her assailant's eyes but it was his voice that made her recognize him. She could recognize those oily cultured tones anywhere. "You failed, Silverd'art. I ought to kill you right where you stand for that," he growled in her face, his fetid breath making her cringe.

Angrily, she shoved him off her and made to walk away before slashing him across the cheek with a dagger and kicking him into sitting in a chair. "I never promised that he would die by nightfall," she said calmly, cleaning her blade nonchalantly."

"You bitch! The council meeting is tomorrow! How am I going to explain this?"
Tiraris smirked and shrugged. "Tell the truth? The assassin you hired to kill Morindo got mad at being grabbed and lashed out. Oh, that will not work for you will it?"
"The poison you used was pathetic! He didn't die from it."
"He was not meant to. You see, you lesser nobles forget your lessons. Sometimes you need to shake a person up to herd them in your direction. Let me do my job and get out of my face or I will just kill you instead."
"You won't get your money that way! I'll see to it that you never set foot in Connlaoth again!"

Tiraris snorted and shook her head. "You really do not get it." Moving quickly, she swung behind the man, placing the dagger at his throat. "I just want to kill and I do not care which of you it is. So you if you do not want Morindo to live, I suggest you get out." She paused to press a kiss to his pulsing throat. "And do not come back."

Stepping away she allowed the man to flee from the chair to the door and out of the room. Only then did she allow her weakness to show. Her weariness and pain were quickly taking over. Tiraris could feel a heaviness begin to weigh down on her chest as she collapsed, spent onto the room's bed. 'Tomorrow should be interesting,' she mused just as darkness claimed her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Winters-Feather

Maar let the pail of water hit the floor with a thunk as she knocked on the door. The old man frowned as he picked it up.
"Took you long enough," he snapped.
"I was pre-occupied," Maar explained with a shrug.
The old man stared at her for a good long while, though the fae couldn't understand as of to why.  She asked him such. This seemed to knock the healer back to his senses as he invited her inside.  It was growing cold out.
"No," she promptly replied. The fae preferred to be out of doors, where the air was nicer and there was no client scowling at her. Besides, the healer's place was full of iron. The man grunted in reply and shut the door firmly behind him. Maar chuckled. She could tell her presence disturbed him.

Her blue eyes scanned their surroundings. For the next few moments,
There was nothing around here, and the fae was feeling restless.
I could follow Silverd'art, she mused. The woman had already gone far ahead, but perhaps she was still out and on the road. The fae's eyes gleamed in the moonlight at this prospect. She could follow her back to her inn, or wherever she was staying and get some more information. Maar slipped into the shadows and tried to hunt down the assassin by the faint traces her magic left.

She was nowhere.  The woman wasn't out on the streets, and though Maar knew she was most likely within her range, all the iron in the area was probably interfering with her magic's abilities. The fae could feel herself grow a little sick; she needed to down another dose of that medicine one of the Hawks had made for her. At that moment, she could hear from down the block a horse drawn carriage. Encouraged by this faint noise at such an unusual hour,  Maar began to race towards the source of the sound. She quickly found it. The carriage was blue, pulled by a brown mare  whose driver appeared to be  very nervous. The fae trailed them from underneath, until they stopped at the gates a very luxurious two story cottage. Maar watched in silent glee as a rather angry looking man in his late 30s dressed in fine clothing stepped out of  carriage and bark orders at his servent before walking towards his home.
Devdarra.

If anything was going to cheer up her employer after being poisoned, this was it. Satisfied with her work, Maar slithered through the city streets until she reached the healer's cottage, again. The lights were dim inside; the old man and Morindo were sleeping. Maar carefully emerged from the darkness, and silently walked into the nearby woods. Her eyes scanned the trees until she found one suitable enough for climbing. Once she was at least twenty feet above ground, the fae closed her eyes and drifted off into sleep, the corner of her lips drawn up in a lazy smile.

GoblinFae

Tiraris groaned at having such bright light burning at her eyelids. Rolling over she tried to avoid it but found that the source was ever persistent. Sighing she sat up and rubbed at her eyes and head. 'Too early for this.' Yet a glance at the open window revealed it to be already past noon with the sun high in the sky.

A smirk wavered on her lips as she realized that she had missed the beginning of the meeting. She got to her feet slowly and shuffled about with no real objective in mind other than waste time. Tiraris had no intention of going to the meeting. It was a two-fold plan, piss of the employer and make the target stew.

"Although I do regret not seeing the fool explain his new facial adornment," she pouted, internally enjoying the idea of having cut the noble and gotten away with it. "Nobody threatens Silverd'art. Not even my mother," she chuckled darkly, shaking her head. The pain from the night before had lessened to a dull fuzziness, as if she had her head were made of sawdust.

At last with a mug of ale in hand and a clearer head, the assassin sat before the long since cold embers of the fire and pondered what her next step would be. 'The fairy is certainly a nuisance. Although, she is fun to play with. If it had been any other job I might not have cared as much though. She was annoying anyway, questioning me and my choices as if I am some child to be reprimanded. Despicable!' With a growl, the assassin tossed the drink into the fireplace but refused to move from her place. 'Let them wait. I will move when I am good and ready and not a moment before'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

Maar rose before dawn and sleepily gazed up at the morning sky.
Even from here I can smell the metal, she thought grimly as she reached for her pouch and pulled out a vile of medicine. The fae chugged it down. Hopefully, it'd last her most of the day. She didn't bring many with her, though she doubted she needed it. Maar climbed down the tree and took care her business before making her way towards the old man's cottage. She knocked loudly on his door. Maar didn't expect a quick response, but, surprisingly, she did.  The gruff healer glared down at the expressionless fae.
"What do you want?" he asked.

"To talk to Morindo," Maar replied, as if it was a natural response.
He made a face at her proposition.
"The patient is resting," he snapped, "I won't... hey!"
The man reached out to grab the fae by the shoulder as she ignored him and stepped inside the cottage. Maar immanently grabbed his wrist and held it tight.
"It's important," she somberly stated, the light dancing dangerously in her blue eyes.
This seemed to quiet the old man, though he looked all the more bitter for it.

Maar looked with mild amusement at the snoring Morindo.
Honestly, he's worse than the King, she thought as she shook his shoulders.
The noble wasn't too pleased to wake up to her face.
"I missed my meeting," he pointed out.
"You'll live to arrange for another tonight," she replied with a cool smile, "Besides, I have a name for you. Devdarra, I believe, is your enemy. He's the one that sent Silverd'art."
"Silverd'art?" Morindo inquired with a frown.
Maar shrugged.

"The lady that poisoned you," she explained, "Inquire information about her, if you wish, but you should be focusing on Devdarra."
"I know how to handle my own affairs, fairy," he spat,  causing Maar to scowl with indignation even more.
Why do they all insist on calling me that?!
"Besides," he continued, "I told you to get proof. What can I do with only a name?"
Maar smiled and changed her guise into the form of the assassin woman in all her fine set up. The only obvious difference were the weapons she carried ,though with a cloak, the fae doubted the nobleman would even notice.
"Oh, I'll think of something," she replied smoothly in Tiraris' voice.

The two talked for a while before the three broke fast. Then, the fae ordered a coach to lead Morindo safely home. The assassin wouldn't strike again; it would have been too risky and stupid, to the fae. To be safe, Morindo had upped security, leaving her the afternoon free to stroll around town. The fae picked a moment when nobody was watching to transform in an alleyway back into Tiraris' form before making her way around Devdarra's cottage, where the guards couldn't see her. After a half hour of snooping about, Maar scaled the cottage walls and made her way up towards the man's study.

He looked as if he had been expecting her, but with malcontent.
Smirk, she thought.
"Hello," she said with her best Silverd'art impression as she eyed the curious scar on his face. She hadn't notice  it before. It looked rather fresh.

GoblinFae

The nobleman sat by the fire, brooding over Morindo's absence. He knew if he waited long enough though the witch would come crawling back to him. In fact, he was just starting on his second glass of wine when she at last made her appearance with her infuriating smirks and quiet 'hello's.'

"Come to rip me a new one?" he growled, gesticulating at his face and moving to his feet to stand by the mantle. "Or perhaps to apologize? Or no, I know, you came to collect your money. Well guess what, you're not getting any!" Devdarra spat into the flames and finished off his drink before advancing on the doppelganger.

"Are you listening? Morindo is dead! He never came! All my years of hardwork, everything wasted! This is all your fault. I certainly hope you're happy because the way things are going your head's going to be the first one on the block. I can't believe you even have the audacity to show your face here after everything you've done.

"Although," he continued smiling lecherously as he reached a hand up to try and card his fingers through silken red hair, "I can't say I'm really all that displeased. You really are such a beautiful woman. I'm sure you could make it up to me." The man chuckled darkly. "Don't forget dearest pet, I still hold that which is precious to you. Wouldn't want that getting out, now would you love?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

Maar casually stood by the wall as straight as she could, her eyes coldly watching the jilted nobleman. She smirked at his taunts, enjoying the rush of pleasure she was getting from this trick. No wonder Silverd'art was so bitter; she should have killed this idiot long ago.
Though that is a pretty scar, she thought with some admiration.
She could have laughed as the man continued.
Devdarra thought Morindo was dead. The fae had already assumed he was a bit daft, but this took the cake. She looked around the office, taking in the details.
He's bound to keep some evidence somewhere, she mused.

The fae endured his speech silently up until Devdarra approached her. She stiffened her posture as he ran a hand through her hair and scowled at his behavior.
Pathetic.
However, what he said engaged her. What was so precious to Silverd'art? She lifted her head high and scowled as she slapped his hand away. She couldn't completely lie her way through this, since her very nature prevented her from doing so, but that didn't mean she couldn't play along.

"Don't even think about it," she snapped, standing her ground as tall as she could.
"Pay me. I took care of Morindo, as I promised, a bit in a matter unorthodox," she argued coldly.
"If you're not all that displeased as you say, then give me the money, and I'll be on my way."
I wonder where that woman is, anyway, Maar thought.

GoblinFae

Devdarra chuckled and shook his head. "Useless woman. How quickly you forget our bargain. You bring Morindo to me alive and relatively unharmed, that was our deal. But, you've gone and killed him. Or rather," he sneered and moved closer with the intention to box her in against the wall, "the real Silverd'art failed. You however are an imposter."

The man laughed quietly, clearly amused. "You're quite good I must admit. Had me fooled for a moment. But, while you have her looks and her voice you have failed to pick up her speech pattern. She is far more cultured in her choice of words than you. Which leads me to my next question. How do you know of her and what are you doing here? Here to seek revenge for your master's death perhaps? It is not me but her you should go hunt down then. I never wanted him dead. Come now, my friend surely we could come to some sort of arrangement. I can tell you where she hides and you can destroy the little liar. Sound good?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

The fae sighed as the nobleman sneered at her blunder.
I should have said "unhand me," she mused, though it was too late, now.
It stung her pride for him to catch on so quickly; the fae didn't think he was that clever. In a way, she still didn't. After all, she was the superior being, Awari, the Old One, the Purple Hawk. This Devdarra was nothing compared to her.  
With Silverd'art's face did she smirk at the face of the man as he seemingly pinned her against the wall. The fae stared at him blankly before giving him an eerily wide smile before she swiftly grabbed the man, got behind him, and banged his head against the wall as hard as she  could.

Maar in Devdarra's guise admired her handiwork. She had tied the nobleman to his chair and gagged him, in case he was to wake up. When he did and her work here was done, she would escort him to Morindo's. He would cooperate, of course. She would see to that. The fae chuckled as she used his keys to rummage through the drawers of his desk, searching for anything that was black mail worthy, especially regarding the orders issued to kidnap Morindo.
And that bit about Silverd'art.

Maar didn't know why she cared so much about the strange woman. She reasoned that it was probably because she was fun, and rather reminded her of the occasional recruit  with raw power and had no idea how to use it.  
Oh, Maar, she caught herself thinking, You died too young.
"Ah, ha," the fae said in triumph as she pulled out a piece of paper with some notes scribbled about a meeting that was to be that day. It was a start.

GoblinFae

In a seedier part of town, Tiraris had finally exited her room and begun moving about. Her desire to make the others wait had now become an impatient stirring within her to move, to hunt, to stalk. She had no interest in returning to the meeting. First things first, she needed to catch up with Devdarra. It would not do for him to start letting vital pieces of information about her slip out to the general public.

She kept her pace leisurely and boldly approached the front gate of the cottage. Tiraris was recognized and eventually allowed admittance within after series of bantering questions that left her more amused than irritated. Following the manservant, the assassin was suddenly distracted by the sound of a body hitting the floor. A brow raised in questioning as she gripped the other man's forearm.

"I suggest you get some help for your master. He seems to be moving some heavy furniture." Wide eyed and fearful the man took off, leaving Tiraris on her own. Curious, she entered the study alone. While she would admit to not knowing what she expected to find, two Devdarra's was certainly not it. "Well, well, well, what do you we have here?," she taunted, blocking the doorway. "The guards will be here in five which gives us ample time to play. Care to dance stranger?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

The fae in Devdarra's guise smiled cheerfully when she saw the assassin woman.
"Are they?" she asked in his voice as she tucked away the paper. She didn't mind if they came or not. After all, more guards meant more shadows, and that was always a bonus. Besides, that only made things more fun.The fae pointed towards the sleeping man and made a face.
"He thought I was you, you know. What were his words again?" she said before raising Devdarra's voice to a mocking tone.

"'You really are such a beautiful woman. I'm sure you could make it up to me.' Really, you ought to be grateful I was here in your place."
In Devdarra's voice she wildly giggled as she smoothly edged towards the wall, where the candle light casted faint shadows on the ground and through the door way. She would have loved to stay and talk to the woman, especially about whatever information Devdarra had of her, but she had a job to do. Maar slipped into the shadows and slithered into the shadow of a lone maid servant carrying a basket of laundry.
Maar wondered if she was going to Devdarra's room, since the only thing that seemed to be ahead of them were a lot of closed doors. She wished the lass would hurry up. Even though the medicine helped with the iron not giving her a massive headache, it still was tugging at her fae magic.
I'll have to be careful with it, she thought.

GoblinFae

"Oh?" Tiraris replied nonchalantly. Beneath the surface though she was struggling to guess at who this impersonator was. 'How could he-she-it know me? Who is this person that knows not only of me but of my working with Devdarra?' She only blinked at hearing her employer's words parroted back at her. It was not the first time he had said such things, nor would it be the last if he had his way.

It was the figure's shift to the shadows that made the assassin venture a guess as to who the thief was. 'Ah of course, should have guessed that. After all one cannot meet two who can do that trick so soon after each other. How quaint little fairy, seems you do have a few more tricks up your little sleeves. Well luck be with you because Devdarra is going to be hot for your blood now.'

The guards came rushing in and pushed past the smirking one only to find their prey already gone. Before they had a chance to question her Tiraris supplied them with the information their own eyes should have given them. "It left and if you have any desire to not bring your master's wrath down on your heads I suggest lighting as many torches as you can."

"Lighting torches? Are you insane! It's the middle of the day!"
"Exactly," she replied calmly, pushing off the doorframe and walking out into the hall. "Your little trespasser is a shadow-walker. The less light the more chance it has of getting away. Now if you will excuse me," Tiraris took off with no direction in mind. Her intention was to wait for the hub-bub to die down before approaching an awake Devdarra. Her interest was greatly peaked now. "Tell me little fairy," she whispered to herself, "will your wings burn up in the light?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

It took the maid a couple of minutes to get her work done in the bedroom. In the meanwhile, the fae had not been idle. She scouted where ever she could in the sun bathed room. Her main sights were on a desk with a locked drawer. Only Devdarra had access to that, and she had the keys. If he had any messages he didn't want most people to see, it would be in there. she had also heard the sounds of the the guards thundering up the steps and, after a while, were dismissed. From the sound of things, it seemed that they were in a hurry. Maar could only assume they were looking for her.
I wonder what plan Silverd'art has for me, she thought, gleefully.
Whatever it was, she expected something clever. Of course it would hinder her plans, but no matter.

As the maid closed the door behind her, Maar took no time emerging from the shadows and silently crept towards the desk. She unlocked it, leaving the key in the slot, to find stacks of letters and important looking documents. The fae quickly flipped through them, pausing now and then to scan some of their contents. She found a discreet document with Morindo's name on it, though most of it seemed to be rubbish, filled with trivial information. Still, the ink looked fresh.
It's in code, she realized as she stashed it away with a triumphant grin.
Suddenly, another package caught her eye. It was sealed in an envelope, with the name "Silverd'art" written on it.
Oh?

Maar was about to read it when she heard footsteps approaching. She stashed it away, shut the drawer, and closed the lock in a swift movement.  She fled towards the window as she put away the keys, but the shadows were too far and apart to travel through. With a tsk, the fae made herself content with hiding away in the shadow casted by a small set of drawers by the door just as it opened.

GoblinFae

Tiraris decided to seize the opportunity and reclaim the information being held over her head. Taking up a torch of her own, she casually meandered her way through the halls towards her employer's bedroom. She was not in the frenzy the others were, the torch was held loosely and cast its dancing light off the floor and walls but always in the largest circle around her person as she could.

The assassin had no doubt based on her earlier behavior that Maar would rather run than fight and Tiraris had no intention of getting in her way. But, corner an animal and it will bite; Tiraris did not fancy a new set of puncture wounds and therefore moved with caution.

A shove of the bedroom door with her shoulder sent it banging against the wall. Pressing her back against the door as she slid in, the fire-haired woman glanced back over her should as she kept the torch low, its light dancing dangerously close to Maar's unknown hiding place.

Tiraris shut and bolted door, her ears listening for even the slightest sound, a shuffle, an intake of breath, nothing. She stepped into a patch of sunlight and hung the torch on the wall by the door before moving away and heading for the desk.

Kneeling before the locked drawer she gave it a heavy tug. "Of course, that would be too easy," she chuckled, running her fingers along the edges, looking for the catching mechanism. It was no secret where Devdarra kept his dirt on people, it was just a matter of getting it back.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

The fae watched with excitement as Silverd'art entered the room and bolted the door behind her. She slithered back behind the drawers as she caught sight of the torch in her hands, immanently catching onto the assassin's plan.
How practical, she thought.
As Maar expected, the woman's plans did put a damper on hers. The light from the torch completely cut off the door from her, and she was trapped underneath the drawers. She watched as the woman made for the locked desk and attempted to tamper with it.
Maybe we can bargain, she mused.

The fae doubted it could work, knowing how the woman functioned, but crossing blows at this point was unnecessary. She had the information she needed. Why shouldn't this woman have her own? It wouldn't affect Maar's mission, anyhow. Maar silently slipped out of the shadows and stood by the door. She tossed the set of keys towards Silverd'art and pulled out the envelope with her name on it.
"I assume this belongs to you," she said  quietly with a grin, "It doesn't even have a first name on it. Why's that, I wonder?"

GoblinFae

Instinct moved her before she could even process what was happening. At the first sound of the keys moving, Tiraris had reached for a dagger and threw it in the direction of the sound has fast and hard as she could. Turning on her heel, she caught sight of Maar though and rolled her eyes as she rose to her feet.

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" she huffed, leaning back to rest against the desk, not caring as papers were rumpled or knocked over by her rear. "So, Morindo finally get fed up with you and send you off to play fetch? Or are you playing gopher? Go for this go for that," she laughed, crossing her arms over her chest.

The letter had not escaped her but if she played her cards right it would end up back in her hands again. For now why not play a while. If Tiraris could keep Maar in one place long enough, the possibility of the guards finding them increased. A glance out the window revealed clear, bright blue skies. "Beautiful day is it not?" The assassin smirked. 'No chance of running now, is there little fairy? Unless of course you want to run back towards the guards.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Winters-Feather

The fae was fast, but despite her high guard, she hadn't been expecting the dagger. As the blade sliced across her cheek, she couldn't help but to hiss in pain and took a moment to regain her composure. Steel burned to the touch, and that simple cut felt as if her face were on fire.
"Ow," Maar complained as she gently poked at the cut, giggling weakly.
She smiled easily at the assassin's words of her playing gopher and of the weather. The fae wasn't loyal to Morindo- she was just picking up loose ends that she had failed to tie. After today, she'd be gone.

"Yes, it is," the fae replied to the assassin's question, though she understood the intent; it would be difficult for her to shadow walk her way out of the place. The guards may pose an extra challenge, since this woman taught them the importance of watching their own shadows. Still, she had her ways; the fae wasn't going to die this day.
She picked up the torch and admired the fire as she formed a plan in her mind. With her free hand, Maar opened up the torch and with her free hand, opened the envelope. She  skimmed the contents of the first few paragraphs or so. She knew it was best to just hand it over, but not before she could find something to vex the lady with, as well as something to buy her more time.
"Oh, look," she said earnestly, "There's a name here. Lovely, honest. Tiraris..."

GoblinFae

Tiraris stilled, before smirking and chuckling. "Is that all it says? I was beginning to worry. Congratulations tiny pixie, you can read," the assassin mocked, moving to her feet and advancing causally towards the other. Briefly she wondered if the girl before her could preform any magic besides her shadow walking. 'Perhaps she knows name magic as well? Doubtful, she is more the deceptive than vindictive type.'

"Here I thought it would be something big and horrific. But, a name? A random name at that. Who does it even belong to Maar do you know? Do you even know its significance? Would you like to know?" she questioned, smiling with false warmth. "Too bad, Miss Nosy." Tiraris reached to try and snatch the letter away as waves of irritation began to pulse off her being.

The assassin was grateful that either the fae before her had not read further or that the letter really did not say what Devdarra had boasted it did. An already private individual, Tiraris balked at Devdarra's finding out about her past. He had made claims at knowing her noble roots, her mother, her fathers both and her curse. It was nothing she wanted the public knowing. Respect was hard-earned in her world; once lost, she would almost never regain it again. Tiraris was not about to let anyone take that from her, not when she had worked so hard for it.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]