Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shtahl-ing the Inevitable -M- [GoblinFae]

Started by Zane, February 28, 2014, 04:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zane

Shortly soon became twenty minutes, pushing on thirty. However, it wasn't Alucard who returned with the King, but just the king himself. The old king looked at Rowan with indifference, not anger nor hurt nor betrayal, but indifference. As he moved along the floor, the tower seemed to react to him, gears under the floor started to turn and a chair rose up before the throne. As if out of nowhere.

"Please have a seat, Ranger Alvar." King Kinder spoke up as he went to sit in the throne across from the chair. "I have come to understand that you had a vision, one of most dire imaginings. Yet you weren't forthcoming with it, not in the slightest. Do you deny it?" His voice wasn't accusing. He was like a grandfather in his speech, he wanted to know all sides of a story before he cast a judgement. That was part of what made him such an effective king, he was Just and Fair.

GoblinFae

As the minutes ticked by, Rowan found herself fighting the urge to pace or otherwise fidget. She did not know what to expect and while unafraid she still felt sick to her stomach. She constituted her failure to communicate her visions as an ultimate betrayal as it resulted in a lack of preparedness on the part of the Vigilant Shadows. While she could not move around, Vesna at least whipped its tail back and forth where it sat.

The entrance of the king sent Rowan's head shooting downward as she bowed before him, her dark hair feathering across her cheeks as she waited for direction. She could feel beneath the ground the machinery that brought a chair up to her right.

Obediently she hastened to sit on the edge of the seat, her back ramrod straight and eyes respectfully lowered while her hands rested folded in her lap. She raised her gaze to meet his own so that he may see her honesty as she answered his questions. Her voice contained the same deadness it had when last she spoke to Alucard. Her spirit was weak and it was reflected not only in her person but in the depressed form of her Shadow Spirit who lay where she had left it.

"I do not deny it, Your Majesty."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

The King thoughtfully rubbed the salt and peppered Vandyke. "I am just going to assume that you have had visions before, especially ones that came true, otherwise Master Leohalt never would have brought you before me. Describe to me what happened in these visions, and how did they change as the progressed. After that, I will have a few questions for you, then I shall come up with my ruling."

GoblinFae

Rowan bowed her head in understanding before beginning her tale again in a slow, quiet voice. She left nothing out in her telling, repeating everything she had told Alucard and more. The ranger gave every little inconsequential detail of what she remembered from the visions, the actual events that had taken place, her own musings and rationalizations as well as her fears and self-blame. She told him of her feeling selfish and childish for wishing to see more, doubting herself even as she knew she was gifted in such a regard.

"I hoped with more knowledge I would be able to present my visions in a way that would be believable. I wasted too much time needlessly and our rangers paid for that with their lives." She sighed heavily and mournfully, fighting the way her eyes begin a slow burn against saltwater tears. "All I've ever wanted since I arrived her was to serve and protect my second family and I have failed just as I failed my first. Forgive me Your Majesty," she murmured, lowering her head respectfully, "I have cost us much."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Zane

King Kinder nodded and listened attentively. After she finished her retelling, he was silent for a long moment. "I have heard your testimony, Ranger Alvar. In a moment, I will begin asking you a series of questions, how long this takes depends entirely on your answers. I could ask you as few as two, or as many as Alucard is years old. Now my first question to you, would you like something to drink?"

GoblinFae

The mirthless bark of laughter escaped her before she could quell it. Composing herself once more, Rowan shook her head with a fleeting smile. "Thank you but no Your Majesty, I am fine and ready to proceed as soon as you are."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

The king nodded, "Very well. Now, if you were in my position right now, what would your judgement be in this situation? Would you issue a punishment or no? If so, what kind of punishment? Think carefully about this."

GoblinFae

To say she was not shocked by the question would have been a lie. Rowan had certainly not expected to be asked to place herself in the king's shoes and make the decision he was now faced with. She licked her lips as she furrowed her brow in thought.

"What your ask of me Your Majesty is quite difficult to answer as I find myself quite torn between choices. Judging myself I would in a heartbeat say that yes I do deserve punishment and a quite severe one at that. Yet when I think of other rangers and wonder if they were in my own shoes and I was forced to make the same choice I could not answer as readily. I feel I have betrayed your people, whether that be the case or not. I feel guilty for our losses, for not being able to prevent them and yet," she was forced to pause to swallow back the tears that fought her even harder to fall.

"Yet I know that if I had no visions I would still blame myself. All the things I see and I could not see this! What good is a gift when it cannot be used in the moments that matter most?" Gritting her teeth, Rowan could not hold back any longer. Once more tears coursed down her cheeks though she made no sound as she squeezed her eyes shut in grief.

"How can anyone consider forgiving me when I cannot forgive myself? How can anyone trust me when I could not protect them when they needed me most? I see what I have done and failed to do as strong of a betrayal as bringing the enemy straight to our gates though this I did not do. Punishment is yours to deal Your Majesty but for my answer I see nothing but death or The Grasp for my fate, the same that awaits any other who dares betray the Vigilant Shadows. That is my answer."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

King Kinder nodded, "That is all for the questions. I do believe I have come to a verdict." The King stood and drew his sword, "your punishment shall be delivered immediately."

He strode forward, "Ranger Alvar, your punishment is as follows. Because of your Longevity, you are to take my sword. Her name is Doubtbane. You will outlive me. The other part of your punishment it to use this sword to defend the Vigilant Shadows. Until you have enough faith in yourself that you don't blame yourself for the hard times that we all face. Even if you had spread word of your visions, you would have only been stalling the inevitable, fate sees through to get what she wants. Instead, focus on those you saved. You prevented the Vigilant from losing the entirety of one of our Ranger Classes from being wiped out. And for that, I applaud you. Now, you are dismissed."

The king laid the sword down across Rowan's lap and left the throne room. Once the heavy door closed behind the king, Alucard stepped out from behind the high back of Rowan's chair.

GoblinFae

Rowan accepted the sword out of reflex instead of comprehension as she stared up at her king completely speechless. What he had done was unbelievable. Instead of punishment, she had been rewarded. In a way the half-elf felt cheated and if in that moment she could have found the words she would have voiced them as her heart raged angrily within. She had expected punishment, even death instead had been thanked and made to live.

The sound of the door closing sent a whoosh from her longs as she suddenly slumped forward, her head falling into her hands. Rowan breathed heavily as she fought the urge to leap from her chair and cast the sword violently away from herself or in turn throw herself upon it.

From the corner of her eye she caught movement and once she recognized whom it was, she groaned. "How long have you been there?" the ranger asked in a barely level tone, anger and grief riding just beneath the surface. She felt it was incredibly unfair that he should have been there without her knowledge as she poured out her heart and more to her king with the expectation that it would be the last words she ever spoke. Now knowing she would live coupled with not one but two people knowing over her failures was nearly enough to cripple her. The things she had kept hidden from Alucard yet spoken to Kinder made her stomach roil with apprehension. He was not meant to know what she saw of him nor her insecurities. It was not his place to invade her privacy so.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Instead of answering her, he looked off to the side. "Do you know that I, too, blame myself?" He didn't wait for an answer, "Over the past three centuries, I have been building a very unique early warning system over both land and sea. It was made up of over thirty Rangers. Now, after the attack, they, and their shadows, have all vanished. Off this earth it seems. I can't remember any of them, not names or faces. The harder I try to recall them, the harder it is to remember. And it is not just me, their friends, their mothers, and in some cases, their children cannot remember whether these individuals ever existed."

"The fault for this attack lies not on our shoulders, but on that of our enemy. The have some means of altering reality. And while I think I may know what it is, I find it almost impossible to recall." Alucard paced around the room, it ate at him that he couldn't remember something so vital. "We managed to, in their attack, kill two of the five leaders. But when I went to disarm them last night. They had nothing, no weapons or armor. Or clothes for that matter. The Verdad must have come for them during the night. But the point remains that this attack wasn't our fault. These deaths weren't our fault. And I blame myself needlessly."

'And so do you..'

GoblinFae

"It is expected that you would blame yourself though," she spat out. "You are one of the leaders of our people. A good leader would blame themselves regardless if it was there fault or not. I cannot say the same! I am no one but a ranger and even then I failed my duty. I cost mother's their sons. I am the reason for their tears. Shadow Master you do not understand. You cannot possibly," she informed him candidly. "You are no common man."

Rowan rose from her seat, Doubtbane still clutched loosely between her hands. "The enemy may be blamed for what they started but they never should have been able to succeed with what they did if our people had been left without such warning. You can stand there and tell me that those pigs SOMEHOW stole my sight from me! But you cannot say they stopped me from speaking of what I did know. That was on me and that will forever be another stone around my neck."

Curtly she bowed before him before attempting to leave him. "Good day Shadow Master. By your leave," Rowan formally stated, her eyes as cold and lifeless as the stone walls that was the foundation of Clockwork City.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Alucard looked her hard in the eyes, but he just couldn't bring himself to try and rebut her. His only argument was fool of holes. Instead, he merely sighed. "Just go." Besides, he had no way of knowing if she felt the same about him. If, you know, he could figure out just what she did mean to him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Practice Yard in Shade District was virtually empty, save for a lone Ranger and his Fox Shade. Atlas was throwing a wooden discus around and the Shadow Spirit would bound after it. Atlas, who's weapon of choice was a pair of Chakrams, could get some very fancy and hard to reach throws. But the two were having a blast, laughing and getting themselves winded. After a while, they went to sit off the the side at the spectating bleachers. The black and grey fox immediately hopped up into her master's lap.

GoblinFae

She did not need to be told twice as she fled on flying feet outside of the chamber, Vesna so close behind the poor cat's tail was nearly caught within the closing door. Rowan raced with one destination in mind. Yet once she reached the Practice Yard she could not even remember the journey of getting herself there.

When she burst through the doors into the room she was too winded to notice the pair upon the bleachers. Instead she banished away the king's blade and called to her hands the first thing her mind conceived in her barracks.

The smooth leather handle of a cruel whip pressed neatly into her palm moments before she raised her arm and in a split second sent the tip of the whip crashing down with a sharp crack upon the tiny flame dancing upon a candelabra close by. Over and over she did this without knocking a single candle from its precarious holder until every single one of the tiny flames on the single candelabra were extinguished.

It was through her Shade's eyes that she caught sight of the Shadow Ranger and his own Fox during her frustrated display. "Care to spar?" she called out to him once she was done. Rowan still felt she was due some punishment and Atlas seemed like a likely candidate to grant it to her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

It was all Atlas could no to not flinch every time he heard her whip crack, it brought back very bad memories from his time in the Illuminate Dawn Cult. The leader of the cult was damned good with a bull whip and quick to use it on anyone who dared to be insubordinate. So naturally, Atlas had deep, set it, permanent scars up and down his back. That was not to say he liked to start trouble in the Vigilant, his scars told of when he stood valiantly against the evils of a cult. Unknown to him, it was his insubordination that actually brought light of the cult to the Vigilant Shadows.

He looked down to the Vixen, She yipped happily. Seemed she was in the mood to prover her shadow do a senior member of the Vigilant Shadows. Standing, Atlas banished the discus and called forth two of his old practice Chakrams, they were without the cutting edge that his main two weapons had. "Against my better judgement, I accept."

GoblinFae

Rowan nodded her head once in greeting, waiting only long enough for him to summon his choice of weapon before cracking her whip close to the Vixen's side wishing more to corral rather than harm as she faded back into a set of shadows to reappear at random several feet from where she had been before. Her own Shadow Spirit circled the edge of the grounds in a counter-circle, keeping a watchful eye out for any trouble.

The ranger was taking things slow, desiring to allow Atlas take the lead as it was as much for his benefit as her punishment. He could learn from the challenge she presented and perhaps she could find release from her guilt through a fight that might leave her at least temporarily bruised and bloodied. Rowan believed he had incredible potential to have survived the battles of above and be so new to their ranks.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Atlas eyed the whip, for the moment, he was out of it's range. He, however, knew that she could close the distance between them in a mere heartbeat. All Rangers could. "That's not very nice" he teased when she popped her whip next to Vixen. Spinning the wooden chakrams around his middle fingers, getting a high enough rotation to make the disks a viable attack weapon wasn't that hard but it did take about three second.

Once ready, he snapped his wrists, sending the two disks in a wide arch around the space between them so they would approach Rowan from two directions. He then charged at her, running full tilt.

GoblinFae

Where some would have chosen to bleed in and out of the arena's shadows or a younger ranger would have backed away, effectively stepping right into one of the Chakram's paths. Instead, Rowan barreled forward into Atlas' head-on attack. It was a reckless move and likely to get her just as easily injured as it was meant to surprise her attacker.

She could have cared less though. Whip was effortlessly exchanged for a pair of small knives which were far better suited for such a closerange confrontation. The whip would only cause her more trouble and give him the advantage over her if he managed to get a handle on it. It also kept her safely away from Atlas and Rowan wanted anything but to feel safe and secure right then. She wanted to feel alive. She wanted to repent and in her mind only the dead feel no pain.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Zane

Atlas had survived the Battle of Blood Moon, and It wasn't due to the fact that he was easily surprised. Summoning forth his own daggers, he dove into a slide in a hope to get a glancing blow on the ankles or calves. A small scratch that would be, if nothing, annoying. Sliding under an opponent was a risky strategy, one that most often paid off.

He then disspelled the daggers and cartwheeled to his feet in time to snag the chakrams out of the air and brace himself for attack. Vixen had busied herself with engaging Vesna so that Atlas didn't get flanked by the half-elf's shadow.

GoblinFae

Rowan grunted as his blade glanced off her shin and grazed upward, leaving a stinging sensation behind in its wake. As he slid under her though she somersaulted in the air over him, twisting like a cat at the last moment to land on her feet, facing him. Behind her, Vesna shrieked a warcry in anger as it attempted to smother Vixen.

The woman at the same moment struck out like a viper, her hand shooting out in an attempt to slam her dagger into his shoulder. If she could immobilize or stun at least one of his arms then she had a better chance of cornering him without the threat of his chakrams literally coming around to catch her from behind.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]