Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Threadneedle Cafe [Goblin] [semi-open]

Started by Stormphrax, March 22, 2014, 04:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormphrax

The Threadneedle Cafe. All coffee shops in Essyrn had some degree of infamy - few establishments would so readily accept slaves as patrons - but the Threadneedle had its own thick atmosphere of intrigue.

Small windows high in the clay walls shut out the sun so the interior was lit by lamps in the rafters which did little more than emphasise shadow. The air was thick with pipe smoke and steam from the mugs and the tall silver coffee pots. It was barely possible to see more than a few metres - perhaps fortunate as the Threadneedle contained a complete cross-section of the fractious Essyrni society packed cheek-by-jowl.

A merchant prince lounged across a couch, fingers interlaced with those of his mistress across the table. Two stonemasons played backgammon, the better part of a day's wages laid out between them. Small time crooks fixed the price of tomorrow's bread. Most subversive though, the slaves, unveiled, sat and talked in corners or congregated standing near the door to the kitchen, their infringement of Essyrni law tacitly sanctioned.

In one of these corners, Yannis. He wore his face uncovered, the sheer veil in a scrunched wad by his side. He had a pinched look, thick black hair swept upwards and away from his forehead, thin lips pursed and dark eyes magnified behind his thick spectacles. Seldom at ease enough to recline, he perched on the edge of a couch, scrutinising a the grain of the table in front of him.

"Your pastry, love." The proprietor herself had come out to deliver the multi-layered, honey-covered confection. Yannis looked up, as though surprised to receive what he had just ordered.

"Ah, yes," he said, gathering himself. "Well. Can I put it on credit?" At this suggestion the matron of the Threadneedle threw back her head and cackled. Pausing for breath, she leaned down to rest a heavy hand on Yannis' shoulder (she did this much more often than he would have liked).

"Oh, Yannis. You are a one! Your credit has never been good here!" Some more barely controlled hooting. "Can't make exceptions, even for the Leaders of the Revolution!" More laughter, much much too loud.

Yannis looked about swiftly, flapping his hands at the landlady now wiping tears of mirth from the side of her eyes.

"Shh will you! It's not that funny. For heaven's sake, someone's going to hear you!"

Stormphrax

[[ Ooc: By 'semi-open' I mean that though this conversation is with Goblin's Emyr, this is a public coffee shop. Other characters are free to wander in. Whether they will be cold-shouldered or included depends on how likely this would be in-character. :) ]]

GoblinFae

"Allow me," a deep voice purred as a tall, hooded man slunk up beside the woman with a sly smile. He casually handed over a small coin-purse that clinked as it rested heavily in the woman's hand. "Consider it on me today, friend," he greeted to Yannis with a slight incline of his head before turning back to the woman with a wink. "A coffee too please. Black, if it's not too much trouble little miss" Emyr quickly making the woman blush and playfully slap him on the shoulder.

With her departure, he took his seat lounging on the couch across from Yannis. The merchant prince stretched his long legs out in front of him, dropping his hood back enough for Yannis alone to see his face. His arms came to rest on either side of the top of the couch as he got comfortable. For several moments he sat in silence just watching the other man before finally speaking in a quiet, reserved tone. "In the future you might wish to take better care with what you allow said around you. You wouldn't want to," he smirked darkly, "let the cat out of the bag, as it were."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Stormphrax

Yannis pursed his lips and raised his eyebrows.

"I'll pay for my own, Emyr."

He knew of the merchant prince and his reputation. A slippery character by all accounts; this would be no idle meeting. Yannis understood that nothing was left to chance as far as Emyr was concerned.

Accordingly he wasted no time with small talk. The merchant's comments had prickled him and his tone was brusque (though his voice was lowered).

"What's your angle?"

GoblinFae

"Are you refusing my generous and selfless offer? I would be more than willing to take it all back and more. It did not seem you had the funds to be indulging in such a costly treat nor did she seem to think so." Emyr's tone was light but his eyes had narrowed marginally at the insult.

He tilted his head back to stare down the bridge of his nose at Yannis. "Whatever do you mean by that Yannis? Can a man not be charitable when he sees another in need? Are you further insulting my gift? I can take myself and my resources elsewhere if that is the case."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Stormphrax

"I don't need you to buy my drinks Emyr," he said, struggling also to keep his tone light, "but your other resources - you know I'm interested in those. Besides," he continued with a slightly grim laugh, "they don't usually come for free. I'm not convinced that you do this out of charity."

After he had spoken he relaxed a little, seeming to view the opening salvos as being over. He was still incapable of lounging, but sat with his hands clasped in front of him, elbows on his knees.

"Do you have any more information to sell? What about the new Shah?"

GoblinFae

Emyr's eyes narrowed slightly before he turned his head and cracked it tensely. "I'm afraid my friend that I don't deal in halves or partials. All or nothing is more my style. Now, what was it you wanted to know about our Shah?"

He cocked his head to the side with a sardonic smirk curling his lips. "She is quite lovely if you ask me. How much would you pay for that kind of information?" The Merchant Prince chuckled as he accepted his drink from another pretty little lady with a flirtatious wink. "Though not as lovely as this young lady."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]