Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In the Shadow, In the Light (M)

Started by Lion, March 16, 2012, 03:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"I don't understand...  Is he really like the other one?  Will he kill us next?" Elwyn look at Jon as the men moved out the evening before when the dogs returned.  "How can you trust it now that he's a beast?"

"Because he's still Emri, somewhere under there. He's still that horny idiot, but now he's got something he didn't have before: A score to settle.  And...besides, even if he does turn on us, he'll more than likely take the chewy ones first."  Jon laughed at Elwyn as he prodded the shorter man's round belly.  Elwyn turned red in the face and shoved Jon away.  

"Ya bastard," he said bitterly.  "Are ye sure we have enough silver to take on the wolf-man?  We spend the last days smelting and casting all we had!  The men are pissed, but by the gods, ye'd better pull through on your promise of gold.  They're hungry, Jon.  They mean to make their money, though they know they're walking into the mouth of hell as it is.  Are you sure?"

At this, Jon grew very quiet and stared out towards the moving men until suddenly he rounded and struck Elwyn right across the face in a steel-gloved back hand.  The blow was strong enough to know the rotund man off his feet.  He gave him demon eyes.  "I knew it would come to the gold.  You were never one to doubt me before.  In fact, I expected more from you. They'll have their gold when I have my wolf.  Nobody escapes from me. Not even a goddamned wolf-man and that little whore.  Now get a move on before I take to testing the quality of my silver on your fucking neck."

Elwyn was still on the ground quite in shock, still trying to register what just happened.  But it was clear when he saw that look in Jon's eye, one he'd only seen a few times before.  They flickered in the starlight, much like a cat's would when having spotted a meal.  He knew then that he didn't care how many men would have to die for him to get his prize.  With the current lieu of hunters he'd recruited, they had enough to make a suitable small army, but he doubted it still was enough.  This was no longer a hunt.  It was a sacrifice.

Already Emri had attacked two men, scratching them gravely with claws he'd never had before and then and there Elwyn knew the curse had gotten to him.  The full moon would rise the evening after next.  Who was to say who would die...and who would be a spared meal for next time.  He wasn't sure even he wanted to take that chance.  But he did as he was told.  He stood and began shouting for any stragglers to move along.  Silver shone aplenty in the moonlight, gleaming like night candles, and he knew they were ready.  The hounds were loud and barking and urging for their constituents to get a move on.  The hunt was on.

__
Jerec's heart beat madly in his chest and he was shaking all over from a strange solution of adrenaline and fear.  But it was not a sensation he was unaccustomed to.  Jerec used it to press him harder and faster, but he reminded himself it wasn't just him anymore.  He had Owlet to look out for and she was right behind him.  At least he hoped she was.  He knew that he couldn't waste even a second of precious time to look back to see if she was there.  His ears strained to hear her footfalls and a small sense of relief washed over him when he knew she was indeed following him.  But it was short lived and soon he saw the river coming up ahead.

They would have to cross it, however they could and he knew it was easily five feet deep in the section they were in.  He wandered toward the edge, stopping just before the mud sucked his bare feet in.  He said nothing but strayed from her a bit to find a shallower section and felt his stomach sink further when he heard her splash into the water.

"Owl!" he shouted, angry and desperate at the same time.  The shouts and howls were getting closer.  The dogs were hot on their trail.  Jerec did look back in anxiety and looked across to the river again.  It was too wide to jump in one bound.  He'd get caught in the powerful current and dragged under with no footing to begin with.  But suddenly he had no choice when he saw a log coming down stream at them.  No not at them – at Ariel!  Jerec didn't think before he did jump in, and swam desperately for Ariel, getting to her a fraction before the heavy log came barreling at them.

Yet, he did not go unscathed and felt the wood bash into the back of his head as he pulled himself under the surface, taking Ariel with him.  He saw white for several seconds and his lungs clawed for air that did not come.  His footing was lost however, and his arms in a vice grip around Ariel, soon took her with him as they were swept in the rush of the water.  When he regained some semblance of consciousness, they resurfaced once again, but were crashing through the rapids.  He gasped for air, still holding on to her with one arm while he tried desperately to alter their direction toward the other side.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

Ariel gasped painfully, sucking in a lungful of cold water as she was suddenly dragged down with Jerec. Frantic she tried to flail her way back up to the surface but without a real sense of which way was up and which was down, she did nothing more than waste her limited oxygen supply. Eventually they made it back to the surface in time for the young female to cough up the water in her lungs before she was bobbing back under for a moment.

The crashing current tossed the pair to and fro as if they were nothing more than a set of rag dolls. Due to the height of the water and the speed of the raging water, it was impossible for Ariel to see where the rocks were or even control her path downstream. On the banks she could hear and catch glimpses of the hunters and their dogs but, considering the watery death she was facing she was a bit more preoccupied to pay them more mind. Perhaps she should have been though as some of them hurled various silver projectiles at them.

Breath was knocked out of her body as she was forcibly slammed into another large boulder before the water peeled her away from it again. Adrenaline drove to her ignore the pain and fight to survive. She knew that without Jerec's powerful attempts at swimming and his clinging so tightly to her, she would not be doing as well as she was.

Smashed into the opposing bank though, she wondered whether she was really doing so well at all. Her tiny fingers scrabbled for purchase on the slippery rock as thorny foliage clawed at her head and shoulders and the river dragged her side along the hard turn of the high bank. At last her hands clenched tightly around a thick albeit heavily thorny branch. Clinging to it with both hands and legs, Ariel hugged it as she close as she could and tried to not let Jerec's weight pull them both back.

Thankfully the outlying shrubbery provided them with some protection and camouflage as the hunters continued racing further downstream. She was too afraid to move, to even call out to Jerec for help as it took all her strength just to hold on. Still the water ripped at her straining limbs and dunked them both under once more. Unable to touch the bottom and unwilling to let go, she prayed that the branch would not break that somehow they would both make it out of this alive and whole.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

He was drowning, he thought.  If not, he knew he was going to drown.  He could feel his body begin to tire already the more he tried to fight against the current.  His sheer weight, more muscle than fat, was dragging him down and he had a hard time remaining afloat.  The trousers he wore didn't help either as they made his waist and legs feel so much heavier than he knew.  But though he knew the inevitable was coming no matter what, he fought hard to reach the other side.

He felt water slip into his lungs and he coughed violently to toss it out but already he could sense his body dragging deeper and deeper into the water.  As Ariel grabbed ahold of something on the other side – what it was he didn't know – he began to slowly feel his grip on Ariel's side begin to slip.  The water...it was so damned cold.  His body had lost quite a bit of heat and the water was reddened where it made contact with the back of his head.  The scalp there had been split and was leading his life's blood from it.

He was feeling so dizzy, the world around him was spinning.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

A tug at her waist had Ariel opening her eyes in the murky water. Jerec's grip was loosening and it was then that she realized something was wrong with him. She struggled harder and ended up sinking lower. Just as stars began to cross her vision, her feet touched the ground and she kicked off with all her strength, using her arms to pull up and her legs to propel her further.

As she broke the surface she gasped and did not pause to catch her breath as she strained to reach higher. Yet, the higher out of the water she pulled herself, the heavier she felt and the more her companion's grip lessened on her. Dangerously holding on with only her legs, Ariel allowed her hands to let go to clutch one of Jerec's wrists firmly in her wet grip. Determined, she struggled to drag him up with her.

She was tiring quickly and making no success. 'Come on Owlet! Do you want to always be remembered as some weak little mouse or do you want to prove one and for all that you are the owl, that you are a bird of prey with strength and cunning?' Gritting her teeth she pulled on him again but slid down the branch, back further into the water.

"It's no use!" she petulantly snapped. With tears in her eyes she glanced around for something to help her but found nothing. "I'm sorry Jerec, I have to let go. I'm sorry." Yet, her hands did not release his. Instead, her eyes caught sight of the bank just around the bend. While there was moving faster the shore was also lower. Looking down at her near unconscious companion and then up at the unclimbable bank she came to a decision and let go.

Together they plunged back into the treacherous current and she gasped from the cold but, kicked her legs and tried to keep her head up. Eyes focused ahead, she waited for the river to whip her around the bend and send her careening back into flow that had already damaged the pair enough. Just before it could though, Ariel kicked off a boulder and tried to propel them back towards the now lower shore. With Jerec's deadweight they spun around and around, making her dizzy and throwing her sense of direction off.

They came near the bank not as close as she had wanted and further downstream than expected but Ariel was not going to complain. Dragging Jerec with her, the young woman threw herself half onto the land and dug woman hand into the moist earth as the other tried to hold onto the larger man. After some more flailing and flopping, the girl managed to swing her legs up onto the land and rotate herself around so that she was facing Jerec who was still in the water.

Some more exhausting and crucial minutes later Ariel at last achieved what she thought impossible, she dragged them both onto the safety of land. Giggling hysterically and proudly, Ariel crawled over to Jerec. "I did it. Did you see Jerec? I did it!" She hugged him excitedly, not noticing his state until she say up and saw the blood on the grass near his head. Running her head through his hair she felt the gash and flinched at the blood that came away on her hand. "Jerec? Jerec!" She desperately shook his shoulder, trying to determine if he was even conscious.

"Jerec!" Ariel was afraid to leave him but also afraid not to get something to stop the bleeding. It terrified her that this figure that she had always believed to be invincible was injured and bleeding.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

The course of events that occurred flashed before his eyes in a confusing array of flashes and visions and he wasn't sure what was real and what was fabricated from his disoriented mind.  He felt his eyes roll around in his head and his brain was hurting like something mad, from the lack of air he could no longer get in his lungs.  Something was dragging him down, pushing him around until suddenly he was no longer in the water, though he could not fully register this.  His body was numbed from the cold water and he shivered as chills ran through him.

He wasn't breathing and he didn't respond to her.  He heard a voice call out his name.  It was vaguely familiar, but he couldn't place a face.  Instead he saw the face of his father beneath the darkened lids of his eyes.  He was starting to turn blue and the rest of his body was ridiculously pale and the life was slowly draining from him.  And with a weakened shudder of his shoulders, he knew he was slowly going to die.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The young woman went from being distressed to furious as her companion refused to respond, or at least that is what she assumed he was doing. "You idiot," she growled out. "Don't you dare do this to me. Don't you go dying on me! Not when I've worked so hard to save you. You bastard, do you hear me?" She slammed a fist down loosely onto his chest, too upset to really strike him.

Ariel sat up on her knees so that she was hovering over Jerec and continued to scream at him. "You keep making me believe that you are this big unstoppable force, but you're nothing! You're just another fake, another liar!" Tears raced down her cheeks as her face turned red. Angrily, she continued to bang her fists again his chest, harder and harder as if to beat him into his raging beast-state.

"You're just like them. You're as bad as a human! I hate you, you monster. Do you hear me? I hate you!" Her vision blurred and she hiccuped weakly as she just continued beating at his chest like a small child throwing a temper tantrum. "This isn't over Jerec! They're still out there. You said we were in this together. What are you doing? Get up. Get up! Please Jerec. I can't do this without you. Don't go dying on me without letting me repay that debt. I refuse, do you hear me? I refuse to owe my life to a dead man!"

Bringing her hands down in one last fierce blow, she collapsed forward onto the cold skin of his chest and just sobbed, believing that it was all over. "You promised. He promised. It's not fair."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

His pulse was deadening, fainter and fainter with every beat.  His heart hurt, struggled to pump fresh, bright reddened blood through the rest of his body.  But just turned paler and his veins turned bluer than normal.  Sounds were deafened, sensation was numbed, and his chest tightened more and more and more as he vaguely registered something bashing against it.  The bashing got more and more frantic until he felt something rush up from his throat and he coughed violently until water sprang up from his mouth.

Everything came rushing back at that moment and he sucked in air and he felt the cold come in and he lurched upward, gasping and trying to regain some understanding of what just happened.  He still coughed here and there, sputtering and feeling his chest suddenly and mysteriously become very sore.

"WHO THE HELL HAS BEEN DANCING ON MY CHEST!?" he yelled, feeling himself course with anger.  But his sudden shouting brought needles to his brain and he fell back into the grass, reaching up to nurse his sore and bleeding head.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Ariel fell away from him as Jerec suddenly sat up and stared in shock as he coughed and then yelled. Biting her lip did not keep the giggles away and as he fell back to the ground she hugged him fiercely for a moment. "I thought you died, you idiot!"

She sat up quickly in time to slap his hand away from his head. "Don't touch it." Moving around him, Ariel began to carefully examine the wound. It was still bleeding pretty harshly, matting his hair in sticky crimson. The young girl rubbed her hands clean on her pants without any regard to cleanliness. "Lay still and shut your trap. Let do something I'm good at for once."

Concern creased her face as she fought over whether to leave him out in the open like that or not. 'We need to get away from here as soon as possible. Once the hunters can cross, it is only a matter of time before they come upstream again. But, is he really in any condition to move? I'm too little to be of assistance. He needs medicine. This bleeding needs to be stopped.'

Making up her mind, the girl pressed a firm hand to Jerec's shoulder. "Stay put and don't do anything stupid. I'll only be a minute." Dashing off, she ran into the treeline in search of fuzzy gold-flowered weed that always did to make her nose red and her eyes burn. 'If it'll help Jerec though I'll rough it.'

Ariel nearly cried out with glee as she found a huge patch of it. Coughing and sneezing she gathered as much as she could and ran back to where she hoped her companion was still resting. 'Wolf or not he's going to be one dead one if he isn't where I left him,' she thought just as she came back to the bank.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

If he could make the pain of his mind numb, he would for it throbbed with an angry ferocity that even he couldn't match.  He had to admit however, he was glad to be alive.  And the sheer happiness that came with that thought sprang forth a thin wave of tears that made him glad he was soaked from head to toe of icy river water.  The shouting and barking and cursing from the other side of the river and that only made his headache worse.  And then he didn't know if the tears came from happiness or the pain from his head.  He was coming to a point where he didn't care.

His eyes stung, and he closed them and pulled his arms over his face, but away from the section of his head that was wounded so that she could inspect the wound.  Touching it wasn't helping.  He cried a little more and burned in shame because of it.  But he couldn't for the life of him let her see it.  He instead just groaned, still unsure what had happened except that the hunters on the other side were going to try and find a way to this side of the river.  Jerec bit his lip as he heard her step away from him just for a moment.

But despite her orders, he knew he needed to move and move he did.  Shortly after she disappeared into the trees, Jerec found some strength to get up, though every movement made his head throb in dizziness and his eyesight swayed to and fro, back and forth with every step.  Luckily for Ariel, he didn't go to far and he saw her vaguely run past him as he collapsed by a tree, trying to regain his breath as his legs forgot him.  They were still numb from the cold.

"Owl," he managed to say hoarsely.  "Over here.  We...we, can't stay here.  Forget...my...head...  We need to move."  But one could easily tell he was tired.  He held a hand up to his wounded head.  By this time, the bleeding had slowed, but it wasn't making him feel any better.  He dropped an arm down to cradle his weight but fought to find strength to stand again.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The little hunter froze in her tracks and whipped around at the sound of her name. Finding Jerec not where she left him, stoked that snappy fire of before within her and was the drive behind the small kick to the legs she gave him. "I told you to stay put. Idiot wolf!"

Seeing what he was trying to do, Ariel growled and plopped herself down on top of his legs. "No! You're going to listen to me now. You're in no shape to move. Let me treat the wound before it gets worse. If you would stop fighting me it would only take a moment. Then, we need to find a shelter to hide. We can't run like this. You're too fat for me to carry," she stated matter-of-factly, knowing that he was anything but.

"If you don't cooperate I'll scream and bring the hunters right down on us," she growled getting in his face. It was not one of her more brilliant ideas. She knew better than to threaten an injured animal, there was no knowing how Jerec would react. "Let me help, let me be useful and then we can get out of here, together."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"Get off me!" Jerec growled at her furiously but the pounding in his skull made him impotent to do anything about it.  He couldn't lash out at her like he did before.  She was awfully heavy after crossing that river?  And he –surprisingly weak.  Did they suddenly switch body mass on this side of the river?  Not that would understand anything about that, but he knew it was because he was far too tired to fight her off.  The noises from the other side frankly made him more nervous than f acing a tiny, furious girl that left his chest purple and blue.

After a few seconds, he whined a little and resigned, shoving her off his legs with a good deal of force despite his weakness and plopping down on his behind, leaning forward to allow her to inspect his head.  "Make it quick," he said.  He looked down at his hands and frowned as they were covered in his own blood and he rubbed them in the dirt to give them some semblance of cleanliness.  He said nothing during her ministrations, until, at last, he managed:

"I'm not fat."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

If the situation had not been so dire and required so much stealth and quiet, Ariel would have cheered at her victory over Jerec. Instead she kept the celebration to herself as she moved quickly to strip the plant of its irritating buds and mash them in her hands until they took on a sticky yellow paste consistency. Her eyes ran like a waterfall as she furiously blinked them and diligently continued working. Every so often she would let out a very soft squeaking noise that sounded more like a mouse than an actual sneeze.

In no time at all she was applying the gloopy mixture to Jerec's skull. She was glad that she was out of his sight-line has his last statement made her want to laugh. Her face contorted in silent laughter as she finished her work. "I know," she whispered. Pressing a quick kiss to his temple, the girl at last pulled away.

"There you big baby, all better." Ariel stood and held her hand out to him. "Now we can move." She watched him worriedly, wondering if they would ever make it with the shape they were both in. The rapids had destroyed all of her weapons and taken the little food she had stored. They were both bruised and bloody and Jerec was the worse off of the two. They would be lucky if they could make it to some shelter. 'We made it this far. We'll make it! Even if I have to drag his worthless carcass the entire way, we'll make it.'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

He bit his lip.  He couldn't stand having to be treated like wounded prey or a child that had been caught being very bad.  He didn't know how Ariel could do it in all their time together.  He knew then that he'd treated her quite poorly, though he supposed he didn't know any better than to do so.  He had nobody and nobody had him; how else was he supposed to act?  He didn't want to answer that question.  He just wished she would hurry up so that he could run off.

He didn't much care for her kiss either and he burned in embarrassment before standing, a little dizzily at first, and began walking off, ignoring her hand and trying to make his own way.  Immediately he regreeted that decision and felt the world spin around him again.  Whatever she did, it didn't help much, or he didn't feel the effects right away.

Jerec groaned and made a face.  "What the hell was that!?" he demanded to know, reaching for the back of his head again.  "Where are we going?  You lead the way, damn you!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She rolled her eyes as he stubbornly refused her help and walked off by himself. Staying put she just listened to him, unamused. "Whine, whine, whine. You think you could be a bit more grateful. It'll stop the bleeding and prevent infection so don't touch it. For now you can just deal with the pain, it's good for you, keep you on your feet and moving."

Pausing to take in her surroundings she tried to judge a course of action. 'I've never been here before. Which way, hmm? If we follow the stream we'll be caught for sure. But, if we stray too far away we may not find water again. It's a chance we're going to have to make. Left or right?'

To their right was a steep incline of loose dirt and tree roots. It would be difficult to climb, especially with the way Jerec was carrying on, but it meant if the hunters made it across they would also struggle and waste time. The foliage above the incline was also thicker, able to both trap them and provide more hiding places.

The left on the other hand was rather flat and open. It seemed that it was the edge of the woods and would lead them back into open territory. Had she been a fast runner and Jerec in better condition, she might have chosen that route but, the way things were going, Ariel had no choice but to choose the harder right path.

"This way, birdbrain," she called, carefully choosing where she stepped. "Just step where I step and it'll be easier. If we get to the top we'll have a better chance of survival." Taking off slowly, the hunter took tentative steps before placing all of her weight on each next step. She was doing everything she could not to slip and fall as it would probably cause her to take Jerec out with her on the tumble downhill.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"What's an infection?" he asked tentatively but did not receive an answer.  He did remove his hand from the back of his head and had difficulty standing.  The truth was, he didn't really want to follow her.  She obviously didn't know where she was going, but then again he wasn't in any better condition to navigate either.  Gods be damned.  He cursed savagely as he watched her wander further and further away.  He was afraid to leave the steadiness of the tree beside him, his head couldn't take any more movement.

He hated feeling so helpless, so useless.  He felt a quiet whimper quiver through him, mixed with the anger that came with impotence of body.  He watched her wander further away still, before suddenly crying out to her.  "I can't!  I can't....  Please," he said, near tears.  "Help me."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Jerec's pleading cry made Ariel whip her head around in surprise. The movement of her body shifted the already loose soil beneath her feet, causing her to go sliding back down. Not even stopping to care about the tumble she took, the young woman bounced back to her feet and ran to her companion.

The look she offered him was not one of pity or disgust but of understanding and concern. She knew better than most how miserable it was to feel so weak and helpless, to have to rely on others when you have always relied on yourself.

"You're right, that was a stupid idea," she stated, pretending that he had insulted her again instead of crying for help. Lifting his arm up and putting it over her shoulders, she did her best to help stabilize him. "We'll just go a few steps over here and then rest. You can lean on me, I'm not a blade of grass." Ariel kept close to trees and other things he could lean on as she led him back over to where she had been.

As she had fallen, the girl had caught sight of a patch of undergrowth that she felt would be good enough to hide them while she tried to figure out their next move. Half-dragging, half-supporting Jerec she got into the small clearing in the brush and plopped down heavily. "We both need a rest." With a sigh she glanced over at him and smiled weakly.

Her mind on the other hand was elsewhere. Desperately, she tried to judge how far it would be before the hunters could cross and then for them to come back upstream to find them. 'Will they stop come dark? Have they crossed already? I give them half a day, a full day at most before they find us here. Think Owl think! If you were the hurt one what would Jerec do?'

Ariel rolled her eyes. 'Pick me up and throw me over his shoulder. i doubt I'm strong enough even to drag him by his hair. The water will slow the hunters down but time is running out. We can't run, we can't climb and we can't stay here. Maybe he'll get some of his strength back," she mused doubtfully.

Sitting tensely she waited, listening to every sound the woods made, eyes searching for something they had missed as night began to fall. The shouts and howls of the hunters and their canines had long since died down and while it should have been a relief it only made her more tense as she could no longer know where they were. 'Please stop for the night, please. Just give us some more time. I'll figure something out. I know I will. I just need more time'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

"You idiot!" Jon shouted to another of the hunters that was in charge of the dog pack.  "How could you let them get away!  You should have let the dogs loose like I told you!  You goddamned bastard!"  He lunged at him and grabbed him up the by collar.  "They were just in our grasp.  Why I ought to throw you in the river!"

"Jon!  Jon!  Calm down!" Elwyn said grabbing him by the shoulder and pulled him back.  Jon pulled away from both of them, letting the other hunter go.  Jon stepped away and looked viciously at his lieutenant.

"Don't tell me to calm down!  We had them, and now they're gone.  How are we going to cross this river?  They just jumped in and nearly were killed.  They're no good to me dead.  Night will fall in a few hours and what then?  They'll get further away!"

"Well, there ain't nothing we can do about it now!  We'll just have to stop for now.  I'll have some of the men chop a tree or two down.  We've enough to make a bridge.  We'll have it up for tomorrow.  Don't worry.  We'll get them."  For once Elwyn seemed to speak words that actually got through to Jon.  He did calm down afterward, though he did so with regretful resignation.
____
Jerec walked much steadier with her under his arm, supporting him.  He wobbled a little, but at least the world stopped spinning and he could concentrate much better.  He closed his eyes and just breathed, letting himself lean on her.  Slowly, he could feel himself come back and when they plopped down onto the ground, he just laid there, still feeling the shame of his weakness and not knowing how to come to terms with it.  What kind of a beast was he to let her see him at his weakest?  What kind of a man was he, that he couldn't even walk more than a few steps without falling like a child out of balance?

He wanted to cry again, like that child.  But he didn't.  Instead, he reached for her, his head having relieved much of the pounding he'd previously suffered.  He wrapped an arm around Ariel's shoulders and pulled her in and buried his face in her neck, kissing her there.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Ariel was completely surprised to be pulled in and embraced by Jerec. She had been so focused on her thoughts that she had not paid mind to her surroundings. It frightened her that if Jerec could do that then what would have happened had it been the hunters.

She did not get to think about it long though as she broke down and clung tightly to him. The feel of his lips against her neck shocked her but, she refrained from commenting on it, believing that it was only stress and the need for comfort that drove him to do so.

"I'm sorry Jerec. I'm no good at this. I don't know what to do. You have always been the one leading us and I'm such a failure at this. I even got you hurt this time. It's all my fault. I really am such a mess at this," she hiccuped, burrowing closer against him. "I've never taken care of anyone but myself before. I'm just going to do more harm than good. I don't even know where we're going. Please get better soon. You're the one with the real brains here." Hot tears flooded her eyes which she would later blame on the goldenrod poultice that was now close to her face.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Jerec was shivering from the river water that clung to him and the cold air that whistled through the forest trees.  He drew closer himself and buried his face further against her neck.  The vibrations of her speaking voice came through her neck and he wrapped his arms around her tighter still.  He didn't know what to think or what to do right now.  It killed him to have them both helpless, to both be running from mere men.

"Don't be sorry," he whispered back against the pulse of her neck.  It was tempting.  All he had to do was bury his teeth into it and take back sustenance his body desperately needed.  He drug his teeth against her throat before pressing his lips to it once more.  The temptation got stronger, but he knew it was no use.

"Being sorry can't help us.  You saved me...  you're not sorry about that are you?"  Whatever she had put on his head, it was starting to work.  The needles gradually began to subside from his brain.  His moved his head to the other side of her neck and gently kissed here, listening to her pulse.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The grating feeling of his teeth against her tender throat sent shocks of fear and confusion through her system. But, then just as quickly he was kissing it again. "Jerec?" she called hesitantly, her voice getting higher as she continued. "What are you doing? Remember we went over this, I'm not a chew toy."

Her heart beat wildly within her chest as she became more and more nervous. 'What is going on? Is he going to eat me? This is so sudden.' A flash of memory reminded her of their first night in the cage together when he had licked the blood off her shoulder. She wondered if he would do so now. "Um, Jerec you can stop now." Gulping anxiously, Ariel began to struggle slightly and push against him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]