Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here's to Firsts [GoblinFae]

Started by wolfie, July 26, 2012, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfie

Alerri couldn't believe all the food. She hadn't seen a feast like this ever even when they were hunting for food as children. She was taught it wasn't right for so much food to be at one sitting as some might go to waste. She wondered why humans needed to eat so much in one sitting when dragons didn't.

"What's wrong with potatoes?" she asked not sure of them herself. She took a few things not understanding what they were by words alone. She remembered which was called which though. Not being in her dragon form she didn't have to worry about just eating meat. This was getting more and more interesting for her.

"I can't think of anything. I've never felt more at home than I do right now. Nobody really fussed over me at home. Worked? What's that? What's spoiled?" She asked having not heard those words before. She was from a strange different world where words like these never came up. She's asking about my home again. Will there ever be a time when she isn't curious where I came from? Would she accept me if she knew where I came from?

GoblinFae

Primrose blushed and bit her lip. "It's not that there is anything wrong with potatoes. They're not unsafe to eat of course. I wouldn't serve them to you if they were. It's just that I don't find them tasteful. Um...most people do, my father loved them. But I just find them to be very bland, um without taste. Putting lots of herbs and spices on them to make them taste better just seems a waste to me."

The woman sighed and smiled, playing with her food a little bit as she remembered things of the past. It was true that her father loved potatoes. Primrose could still remember the tricks her father would play sometimes to get her to eat them. He was always convinced that she would like them and it was just a phase. Decades later and she still did not find the agreeable.

The thoughts made her smile as did Alerri's words. Despite her perceived failings, her guest was happy and claimed to feel right at home. That was at least a pleasant relief for her. Being asked more questions only made her feel better on top of it and she was eager to answer them.

"Work is...what...people do...to get things...done. And," Primrose spoke slowly as she tried to figure out how to explain concepts that to her just were. It was not something that she ever really found herself having to explain and that fact actually intrigued her. She had a feeling that she would have more of these talks and could not wait for the future, whatever it might hold.

"As for spoiled well...there are two meanings. Generally it means that something has gone bad. When it's food, then it is too rotten to eat. When it is a child though or a person then spoiled means that the individual was never punished for doing anything wrong or they did whatever they wanted and were given whatever they wanted without consequence. For myself I meant that I was never made to work. I had a...good life, a privileged life," the noblewoman said with bowed head, her fork furiously stirring her food around her plate without regard to the actual mess she was creating.

"I'm sorry Alerri."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

wolfie

Alerri listened fascinated by all of this. Potatoes could be good it was all in the person's opinion. This was new to her. Dragons didn't have opinions about food. She liked having learned this.

"Why do you push your food around like that?" the girl said observing Prim. She had wanted to do exactly as the humans did, but knew she still had tons to learn. This was her first sit down dinner after all. She saw Prim smiling thinking that was good. She wasn't sure though getting a vibe that something was wrong.

"Oh we did have work at home just different," she said shrugging her shoulders. She wasn't sure she could put a spoiled label on just one dragon back home. There had been the bullies, and then there were the unhelpful ones.

"Why are you apologizing to me? Did you do something wrong?" She asked realizing she hadn't taken one bite of any of the food on her plate. She placed a piece of meat and potato in her mouth and slowly chewed it savoring the food. This was no where near anything she had eaten before, and she was finding she liked it better this way - cooked at any rate.

GoblinFae

"Uh!" The woman could not believe how much hotter her cheeks could feel. Just how embarrassed could she get? It certainly was not Alerri's fault yet some how the younger woman had managed to remind Primrose at every turn just how lonely she was. It had been so long since she had been able to spend such time in another's company that was not servants who had raised and cared for her.

With her childlike innocence Alerri had allowed Primrose to come to so many realizations about herself lately in such a short manner of time that it greatly shocked the noblewoman. She knew that come bedtime she would have a great deal to mull over but before then Primrose needed to hold herself together long enough without breaking down in front of her guest and scaring the poor girl away.

"It's a nervous habit, something I do when I don't know what to do, when I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing. It's been a long time since I had someone to spend time with and talk to like with you Alerri. That's why I'm apologizing to you. I'm afraid of..." she trailed off, head bowed in shame.

"I'm sorry Alerri. I'm being very polite to you." Small hands reached over and plucked a steaming bowl from the center of the table and offered it towards the other woman. "More stew?" the noblewoman asked, hoping to deflect the conversation away from herself.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

wolfie

Alerri was enjoying her stew. She noticed when Prim's cheeks turned color. She wanted to ask about that but wasn't sure it was a good idea. This new world overwhelmed her at times. This was one of them.

"Afraid of what?" she asked knowing she had her own fears. She wondered if Prim was just as afraid of not being accepted of being tossed out. She had a feeling that's exactly what Prim would do if the truth came out.

"That's wrong then? One is not to be very polite to another? No thank you, I'm still working on what I have," she said liking that she didn't have to be so fast to have food. She didn't have to grab for food instead she could relax and just savor what she had. It was a first for her.

GoblinFae

"Silly things," Primrose whispered, staring into her stew as if it had all the answers to the universe in it. Alerri's thoughts though were correct. Primrose greatly feared rejection. She had suffered enough loneliness to desperately want to not lose a new friend. She had gone without friends for so long that she was heart-weary with sadness. It was a pain she wished on no one, not even her worst enemy.

"Oh no! One should be polite. I mean I've not been polite. Oh dear. What a mess I'm making of myself today," she sighed while laughing nervously. "Enjoy your food, dear. Don't let my sour mood ruin it for you."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

"Oh," was all she said before enjoying her stew more. She also drank some water glad that this wasn't a 'grab and go' sort of thing. It made her wonder if perhaps dragons had meals all wrong. This seemed easier and better.

"You helped me out when I was hurt. You've taken me in, clothed me, and fed me. I don't understand how you've been not polite," Alerri said thinking she would ever understand humans.

"Moods can be sour?"

GoblinFae

Primrose smiled, looking over to the other young woman gratefully. Alerri's words were a balm to her uncertainty and insecurities. She made the noblewoman feel needed and wanted, which is more than she had felt in a very long time.

"You are very kind then Alerri. You see good intention and turn a blind eye to the rest. Thank you."

Letting the moment pass, Primrose became a bit bolder in her speech and manners in order to answer the other girl's question. She decided that she had done enough worrying for one day and should just try and enjoy her time with her new friend and let fate handle the rest. She would be more likely to scare Alerri off by not trying to than by just being herself.

"Moods are not sour in the way we taste our food but in this case it means a bad mood or a mood that upsets others. I've decided though to stop worrying and to just be myself. I hope that you feel the same. You must not worry about upsetting me Alerri. You are my guest and quite welcome here. I hope that we may become good friends, if you are willing that is."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

"That can get a being in trouble though. Today I learned not everyone is as kind as you are," she said remembering her shoulder. She hoped no one else was harmed because of them. It made her wonder if there was anything she could do to stop them. She put thee thoughts aside for the time being.

"Ah I think I understand. Moods are funny. Why were you worrying? What is this friend? I've heard the word, but nobody ever explained it to me," Alerri said showing again part of the world she came from. She wanted to make sure the word was the same in human terms as it was dragon. She too worried and wondered what Prim would think about dining with a dragon.

"What do you think of dragons?" She asked not being able to help her curiosity.

GoblinFae

"Happens to the best of us Alerri. There will always been some nasty person who takes advantage of our kindness. Our job though is to pick up the pieces and not give up. Giving up lets them win and we're stronger that, you and I, Alerri. We're much stronger than that."

Primrose winked and gave a reassuring smile. "I was worried that you would dislike me, hate me even because I was not being," the woman shrugged, "proper? I was worried I would lose a chance to have a friend, a person that you feel close enough to, to share secrets and life stories with, a person that you share a part of your life with. A friend is kind of like family but not related by blood. Instead you're related by choice. Does that make sense?"

The question about dragons had the young woman smirking slightly and her eyes sparkling with mischief. "I am fond of them, but perhaps if you're interested I can show you just how fond. Once you're done eating of course. There's no rush."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

She listened as she finished off her dinner. She wasn't sure if she was suppose to just get up or if humans had some kind of custom for when one was done eating. She wasn't sure what this strong business was, but she was glad she wasn't the giving up sort.

"I couldn't hate you. I don't know what you mean by proper. I think I understand this friend thing. One can't choose their family, but friends you can," she said feeling a little bad that she hadn't shared her secret with this friend.

"I'm finished eating could't eat another bite it was wonderful," Alerri said curious now about how Prim would show her how fond of dragons she was. This very much interested the girl.

GoblinFae

It made Primrose smile to see the light in the other woman's eyes as she began to struggle through complex ideas and begin to understand them for what they were. The noblewoman always loved seeing that kind of light as people came to such realizations. It was beautiful and quite rewarding. It made her remember all over again why she loved what she did and gave her the strength to stand up to the disbelievers one more day.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. My cook, Jolie, really is a treat. She makes the most delicious foods I have ever been lucky enough to eat. Not even in the finest cities have I ever had a meal that could come close in comparison," she boasted joyfully, knowing that the older woman was in the kitchen most likely eavesdropping as she always was when it came to the young mistress.

"If you are feeling up to it why don't we go on a little walk through my family gardens? I think you might enjoy them," Primrose suggested, her eyes alight with secret delight that seemed ready to burst from her tiny frame.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

"Yes, I've never tasted something that good. This Jolie of yours, she is a wonder," Alerri said not realizing that the cook might be listening in to the conversation. Something like that wouldn't have occurred to her. Dragons didn't eavesdrop.

"I am definitely feeling up to it. I've heard this word before, but I don't know it very well. What is a garden?" She asked her curiosity in full form again. She was trying to learn as much as possible knowing that understanding humans meant that she didn't have to be afraid of them like her elders were trying to teach her. She wished humans were the same that they would learn of dragons and not be afraid. She wondered if there would ever be a time when both lived in peace.

GoblinFae

Primrose blinked at the other woman in shock. She would have expected even a small village to have a garden. Perhaps Alerri's people were more nomadic then. It certainly would explain her lack of knowledge about basic housing things.

Instead of explaining though, she smiled softly. "Why don't I just show you?" she offered, holding out her small hand for the younger woman to take. The young noblewoman was practically bouncing in place with restrained excitement. It was not often she got to show someone her private gardens, yet she had a feeling Alerri would greatly appreciate them.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

Alerri wasn't sure what to expect. Things were definitely different when it came to humans. She wasn't sure which way was up just then. It felt strange standing there with a human. She had a feeling she would always be in uncharted waters unless she gave this up and returned home. That wasn't something she was ready to do though. She'd had enough of those dragons.

The young lady took Prim's outstretched hand not sure what this was a gesture of. The smile was reassuring. It was a good question instead of just explaining it might be easier. She wondered if there were more human things that could be shown better than explained.

"Okay," was all she said not sure what else to say.

GoblinFae

She gently tugged the younger woman along, unable to contain her secret smile of joy and excitement. Step by step she led Alerri to the outdoors and her main garden. The more private one was off to the side in one of the hedge walls and would take a bit of walking through the rest of the garden to get to. Primrose dared not rush things though in case Alerri had more questions.

"This," she proclaimed, sweeping an arm out to show off the flowers and trees surrounding the cobblestone path, "is a garden. Over there," Primrose continued pointing to her left "is our vegetable garden where we grow the foods we eat. The rest of these are herbs and plants for healing as well as for beauty. Now most gardens are not as elaborate as this one," she informed Alerri with a prideful blush.

"However, this is mine and I love it. Do you recognize any plants from your homeland dear?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

Alerri went with her seeing her excited. They went outside again something she hadn't expected. She wasn't sure what to expect really with a garden. She listened as Prim talked about her garden looking around trying to spot anything she knew. Unfortunately dragons didn't pay much attention to herbs but rather to game.

"Herbs can heal? Are there any dangerous plants?" She asked those the only questions forming just then. She knew more would be on the way soon enough. The question about her knowing any plants made her worry. It might show more of what she was, and she wasn't certain it was time for sharing something that big.

"I can tell you love it. Your garden looks wonderful.  No I don't recognize any of the plants. We don't pay much attention to the plants around us at home. We keep more tabs on the animals," she said wondering just who was going hungry at home. Shaking it off though she was trying to stay more here than there.

"Are gardens a normal part of life here?"

GoblinFae

"Aye," Primrose replied, feeling her heart sink. She knew quite well just how deadly some plants could be. The memory of a dear friend foaming at the mouth caused a chill to race down her spine before she was able to shake it away. "There are indeed some dangerous plants that are poisonous, meaning they could kill you if eaten or some if you simply touch them. I don't have many of those here in the garden. Those that are deadly are in a far off corner and are specially gated so no children get in there and try to eat them."

The noblewoman led her companion further through the garden, letting one of her hands fondly brush some of the petals of the flowers she passed along the way. "Thank you Alerri. I am very proud of it. So your people are hunters then?" she queried, still trying to understand about Alerri's upbringing and village.

"As for gardens though, they are a part of life here in the sense that many in town use them to grow food. Those with more money or in the city use them more for beauty like I do. Healers also have herb gardens if they do not buy herbs."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

wolfie

Alerri listened truly interesting in the topic at hand. She hadn't thought about learning what plants were for until now. She didn't like the idea of a plant killing someone. She was glad when she heard those were locked away.

"But why have them at all, Prim? If they must be locked up and are dangerous wouldn't it just be better not to have them around at all?" She asked still not understanding. She was glad that she was learning more and more. She heard the questions about her people. She did her best not to laugh knowing they couldn't be considered that. She couldn't just say it.

"Yes hunters," was all she said. It made her nervous to reveal things about where she came from. She was glad when the attention turned back to more about gardens. It was amazing that plants could help and kill. She wondered if they thought of that back at home. If plants could kill by just touch it would be best not to fly or hunt near them.

"Could you teach me which are the bad plants? I'd hate to come in contact with one," she said and then cocked her head to the side. She wondered if she should ask this next question. It had been plaguing her. She looked away from the garden and over at Prim, "why do you keep asking about my village?"

GoblinFae

"Your question is exactly why I keep them around. I use them to teach the children in town about which plants are poisonous and not good for playing with or eating. Also there are some plants that while dangerous can also save lives if used in the right ways. Perhaps tomorrow I can teach you a bit about them. There is something else I want to show you tonight though," she told Alerri with a smile that lit up her entire face with the excitement of a child.

This same smile faded quickly though at the other woman's question as it caused Primrose to worry. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you by asking about your village. I was just curious about you and wanted to try learn more about you dear. If you don't want to tell me anything you don't have to. I understand. I mean if you want to tell me then you will in your own time and I shouldn't ask so many questions and bother you. And you must be tired anyway given how you have been traveling and then were attacked today to as it is. I must be bothering you. Please forgive me. I understand if you wish to retire, er-go to bed for the night. I can show you the garden tomorrow, Alerri. I am so sorry I hope you can forgive me for my thoughtlessness, making a guest uncomfortable and all. Oh dear, I can't believe how rude I have been!"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]